Share your top 3 fav books

Started by angelcookie, April 29, 2017, 12:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelcookie

Is there a book genius thingy that suggests books for you based on your favs?

Bernadette

There's r/suggestmeabook. I've had success posting there for recommendations.
My Lord and my God.

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Sempronius

Don Quixote
Kenilworth by Walter Scott
Les miserables - the first part is about a bishop in a small village. Hes very devout, ascetic, strong and correct in his manners without losing kindness and humilty. Dont need to read the whole book but the story about the bishop is very beautiful

Bernadette

I can't pick just three. I just can't.  :'(
My Lord and my God.

Carleendiane

Count of Monte Christo. Les miserable. Betrothed, The Endurance. Last Stand Fox Company. Imitation of Christ.
Humility of Heart.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on April 30, 2017, 02:59:03 PM
I can't pick just three. I just can't.  :'(

I'd be lucky to have 3 pages of recommendations.

I'll second the Count of Monte Cristo, though.  One of my favorite favorites.   
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Graham

Fiction: The Prisoner of Zenda, Book of the Dun Cow, and The Worm Ouroboros.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Carleendiane on April 30, 2017, 03:14:25 PM
Count of Monte Christo. Les miserable. Betrothed, The Endurance. Last Stand Fox Company. Imitation of Christ.
Humility of Heart.

Impossible to limit to 3. Can't do it!
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

angelcookie

Sad to admit but the only one I've read part of was Don Quiote, and loved it.

Bernadette

Laddie, by Gene Stratton Porter is definitely on the list. I just love that book. So home-y. :) And A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, for the same reason. I love the sort of slice-of-life books, that give you all the details about how the characters live.
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on May 07, 2017, 05:39:23 AM
Laddie, by Gene Stratton Porter is definitely on the list. I just love that book. So home-y. :) And A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, for the same reason. I love the sort of slice-of-life books, that give you all the details about how the characters live.

You might like Shadows on the Rock then too by Willa Cather. It follows the residents of Quebec City, particularly a twelve-year old girl name Cecile in the late 1600's.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Jacafamala

1. My Missal
2. Dantes Infernal
3. Milton's Paradise Lost
Okay, bonus one here why not: Baltimore Catechism
"I shall die with weapons in my hands."
-St Therese of Lisieux

Lynne

Quote from: Jacafamala on May 08, 2017, 11:44:06 AM
1. My Missal
2. Dantes Infernal
3. Milton's Paradise Lost
Okay, bonus one here why not: Baltimore Catechism

Did you mean Dante's Divine Comedy? The book is so much more than just The Inferno.  :)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Graham on May 06, 2017, 06:54:19 AM
Fiction: The Prisoner of Zenda, Book of the Dun Cow, and The Worm Ouroboros.

LOVE The Prisoner of Zenda!
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.