Latin question

Started by Daniel, March 12, 2014, 07:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

Wouldn't that be a participle?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Maximilian on August 02, 2014, 04:59:43 PM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on August 02, 2014, 02:18:51 PM
Quote from: Jayne on August 02, 2014, 02:12:45 PM
I just realized that I should have changed the verb to passive voice, so the it should be "instaurabuntur".  If you want it to end in a vowel, perhaps you could do something with the imperative.

By imperative, would that be something like "all things must be restored in Christ?"  Because that would work.  Certainly if it ends in a vowel.

I think you're probably trying to find a construction similar to "Carthago delenda est!"

Wikipedia says about it: "The phrase employs delendum, the gerundive of the verb deleo, "to destroy".[2] The gerundive (or future passive participle) delendus is a verbal adjective that may be translated as "to be destroyed". When combined with a form of the verb sum ("to be"), it adds an element of compulsion or necessity, yielding "is to be destroyed", or, as it is more commonly rendered "must be destroyed". The gerundive delendus functions as a predicative adjective in this construction,[3] which is known as a passive periphrastic. Carthago being a feminine noun, the feminine gender delenda of the gerundive is applied. The fuller forms Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam or Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam use the so-called accusative and infinitive for the indirect statement."

So perhaps: "Omnia Instaurando Est!"

I am looking for something that a haughty, disdainful, and self-assured traditionalist Catholic bishop who liberally sprinkles his conversation with Latinisms could say with a kind of breezy confidence.  So, nothing with an exclamation point, I'm afraid.

If you know of any sly and cynical Latin maxims, though, please let me know.

Ancilla Domini

Pon, I think the passive periphrastic is a good choice for the idea you're trying to convey. But omnia is neuter and plural, so it should be Omnia in Christo instauranda sunt. All things must be restored in Christ. If you don't care for the sound of sunt, you can simply leave it out. Latin often does that.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on August 02, 2014, 06:26:51 PM
Pon, I think the passive periphrastic is a good choice for the idea you're trying to convey. But omnia is neuter and plural, so it should be Omnia in Christo instauranda sunt. All things must be restored in Christ. If you don't care for the sound of sunt, you can simply leave it out. Latin often does that.

Thank you.  An S is more pleasant-sounding than a B.  Would a seasoned Catholic churchman pronounce sunt with a long or a short u?

Further, could it be word-ordered as "Omnia instauranda sunt in Christo"?

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Pon de Replay on August 02, 2014, 06:35:09 PM
Quote from: Ancilla Domini on August 02, 2014, 06:26:51 PM

Thank you.  An S is more pleasant-sounding than a B.  Would a seasoned Catholic churchman pronounce sunt with a long or a short u?

It should be a short u.

QuoteFurther, could it be word-ordered as "Omnia instauranda sunt in Christo"?

Sure. Latin word order is very flexible.

Jayne

Quote from: Heinrich on August 02, 2014, 05:26:05 PM

Passive periphrastic is a construction that uses the future passive participle, also called the gerundive.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

LouisIX

Quote from: Pon de Replay on August 02, 2014, 02:04:47 PM
Quote from: Jayne on August 02, 2014, 02:01:27 PM
Do you like "instaurent" better?  That is the present subjunctive and you could translate it, "May all things be restored."

That does improve it slightly, but a vowel ending has a more pleasing, Mediterranean ring to it.  -Ent and -bunt are harsh and flat to the ear.  Blunt.

They don't sound harsh when pronounced correctly, in my opinion.  What sounds harsh about "boont"?
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

LouisIX

Quote from: Jayne on August 03, 2014, 03:54:10 AM
Quote from: Heinrich on August 02, 2014, 05:26:05 PM

Passive periphrastic is a construction that uses the future passive participle, also called the gerundive.

If you're a Wheelock fellow (and you ought to be).
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Mono no aware

Quote from: LouisIX on August 03, 2014, 03:08:17 PM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on August 02, 2014, 02:04:47 PM-Ent and -bunt are harsh and flat to the ear.  Blunt.

They don't sound harsh when pronounced correctly, in my opinion.  What sounds harsh about "boont"?

Firstly, "boont" has a Canadian flavor to it.  It hints at "aboot."  Secondly, it has a "blunt instrument" sound to it.  If there was a game show where the loser got kicked off the stage by a big shoe, the gigantic sound effect of the boot connecting with the person's posterior would be "BOONT!"  It would get known by the audiences as "the big boont."  The host would say things like, "careful, Jason, you're one wrong answer away from getting the big boont."  I guess it would have to be like those old Nickelodeon game shows, like the one where they had the green slime.

"Soont" is somehow slightly better, as long it's pronounced softly, more like "sunt."

LouisIX

Quote from: Pon de Replay on August 03, 2014, 03:33:12 PM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on August 02, 2014, 02:04:47 PM-Ent and -bunt are harsh and flat to the ear.  Blunt.

Firstly, "boont" has a Canadian flavor to it.  It hints at "aboot."  Secondly, it has a "blunt instrument" sound to it.  If there was a game show where the loser got kicked off the stage by a big shoe, the gigantic sound effect of the boot connecting with the person's posterior would be "BOONT!"  It would get known by the audiences as "the big boont."  The host would say things like, "careful, Jason, you're one wrong answer away from getting the big boont."  I guess it would have to be like those old Nickelodeon game shows, like the one where they had the green slime.

Spoken like a true individual of Germanic descent attempting to make sense of Latin.  That's ok.  I'm in the same boat.  We just don't have a tongue for romance.

Mono no aware

Quote from: LouisIX on August 03, 2014, 04:10:26 PMSpoken like a true individual of Germanic descent attempting to make sense of Latin.  That's ok.  I'm in the same boat.  We just don't have a tongue for romance.

It's true, we don't.  When an Italian priest celebrates Mass, it is like music to the ears.  When an American priest does, it can, on occasion, be close to painful.

Jayne

Quote from: Pon de Replay on August 03, 2014, 05:24:00 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on August 03, 2014, 04:10:26 PMSpoken like a true individual of Germanic descent attempting to make sense of Latin.  That's ok.  I'm in the same boat.  We just don't have a tongue for romance.

It's true, we don't.  When an Italian priest celebrates Mass, it is like music to the ears.  When an American priest does, it can, on occasion, be close to painful.

I took an Italian course last year in order to improve my spoken Latin.  I find Latin spoken with an American accent somewhat grating.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Heinrich

Quote from: LouisIX on August 03, 2014, 04:10:26 PM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on August 03, 2014, 03:33:12 PM

Spoken like a true individual of Germanic descent attempting to make sense of Latin.  That's ok.  I'm in the same boat.  We just don't have a tongue for romance.

That is interesting. Here is where I am learning a little Latin. No, Jose Gonzales is not my friend.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Kaesekopf

This forum is so....  interesting!  :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

RobertJS

Quote from: Daniel on March 12, 2014, 07:03:58 AM
What is the difference between "ae" and "oe"?  For example, I sometimes see "heaven" spelled "caelum" and other times spelled "coelum".  Are they interchangeable?

Also, just making sure, but the "ae" and "oe" are interchangeable with the "æ" and "œ" ligatures, correct?

You should go to:
http://books.google.com/advanced_book_search

If you choose "Full view only" first, this will result in mostly older books (now out of copyright) before the 1920's.

There is a form labeled: "with all of the words"

Put in the following words:
ae oe Latin

If you want to more likely get Catholic books put:
ae oe Latin Catholic

You should get enough books to look through to get a good answer for yourself.

ideo mittit illis Deus operationem erroris ut credant mendacio