Favorite Chesterton Quotes.

Started by Melkor, April 19, 2021, 08:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerard

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult; and left untried."

? G.K. Chesterton, What's Wrong with the World

Melkor

Drink because you are happy, but never because you are miserable. We should thank God for beer and burgundy by not drinking too much of them.

G.K. Chesterton
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

truly-a-philosofan

<<The scientific facts, which were supposed to contradict the Faith in the nineteenth century, are nearly all of them regarded as unscientific fictions in the twentieth century. Even the materialists have fled from materialism; and those who lectured us about determinism in psychology are already talking about indeterminism in matter.>>

~G. K. Chesterton, Saint Thomas Aquinas.
Christ as the Source of all beauty:
« What surprised him (Blessed Henry Suso) most was to see Eternal Wisdom now under the aspect of a young maiden, the prodigy of heavenly and earthly beauty; now under the form of a young man whose countenance reflected all the beauties to be found on earth. »
St. Louis de Monfort, The Love of Eternal Wisdom, Chapter 11, no. 132.

Melkor

"A man's friend likes him but leaves him as he is: his wife loves him and is always trying to turn him into somebody else."

G.K. Chesterton

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Melkor

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered."

G.K. Chesterton

Melkor

"I suppose every one must have reflected how primeval and how poetical are the things that one carries in one's pocket; the pocket-knife, for instance, the type of all human tools, the infant of the sword. Once I planned to write a book of poems entirely about things in my pockets. But I found it would be too long; and the age of the great epics is past."

? G.K. Chesterton, A Short History Of England

clau clau

"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."
? G.K. Chesterton, Alarms and Discursions

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Xavier

"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult and left untried".
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Melkor

"The most extraordinary thing in the world is an ordinary man and an ordinary woman and their ordinary children."

G.K. Chesterton

TheSaintsAreComing

Quote from: clau clau on May 20, 2021, 08:11:15 AM
"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."
? G.K. Chesterton, Alarms and Discursions

"Mmm - cheese"

- Chesterton, probably

Joking aside:

"Complete self-confidence is not merely a sin; complete self-confidence is a weakness."

- Orthodoxy
I'm gone

nmoerbeek

"Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, 'Do it again'; and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony.

But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, 'Do it again' to the sun; and every evening, 'Do it again' to the moon." Orthodoxy
"Let me, however, beg of Your Beatitude...
not to think so much of what I have written, as of my good and kind intentions. Please look for the truths of which I speak rather than for beauty of expression. Where I do not come up to your expectations, pardon me, and put my shortcomings down, please, to lack of time and stress of business." St. Bonaventure, From the Preface of Holiness of Life.

Apostolate:
http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/
Contributor:
http://unamsanctamcatholicam.blogspot.com/
Lay Association:
http://www.militiatempli.net/

Melkor

Quote from: nmoerbeek on June 22, 2021, 05:33:38 PM
"Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, 'Do it again'; and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony.

But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, 'Do it again' to the sun; and every evening, 'Do it again' to the moon." Orthodoxy

One of my favorites.

Melkor

"People, if you have any prayers,
Say prayers for me:
And lay me under a Christian stone
In that lost land I thought my own,
To wait till the holy horn is blown,
And all poor men are free."
? G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse

The Curt Jester

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people."
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"