What are your thoughts on the Constantinople - Russian Schism?

Started by TheReturnofLive, February 02, 2019, 02:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReturnofLive

We can discuss this more if you want, but can we get back to the subject at hand?
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

Stefano

Does anyone think that this is a step toward the conversion of Russia as per Fatima?

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Kreuzritter on February 02, 2019, 03:59:38 PM
I don't know when last Western Catholics saw themselves, in their Christian identity, as anything but Catholic.

Gallicanism was strong in France, for instance.

In the West, nationalism has played a part in fostering one's cultural identity alongside Catholicism. Spanish Catholics and French Catholics, for instance. All of them identified themselves as Catholics but were also very different and proud to be French or Spanish. They were also willing to fight one other over land and royal rights.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on February 05, 2019, 01:51:32 PM
Quote from: Kreuzritter on February 02, 2019, 03:59:38 PM
I don't know when last Western Catholics saw themselves, in their Christian identity, as anything but Catholic.

Gallicanism was strong in France, for instance.

In the West, nationalism has played a part in fostering one's cultural identity alongside Catholicism. Spanish Catholics and French Catholics, for instance. All of them identified themselves as Catholics but were also very different and proud to be French or Spanish. They were also willing to fight one other over land and royal rights.

As I've said, there was an entire Polish schism over the fact that many Poles felt ostracized against, with mainly Irish and German bishops.
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis