Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Quote from: Kaesekopf on November 10, 2013, 01:29:45 AM
Quote from: Larry S. on November 09, 2013, 09:55:26 PM
Thor 2: The Dark World. A little slow in the beginning, but it turned out to be a lot of fun. Tom Hiddleston steals the movie.

Agreed.

I wish Loki had a larger role.  Apparently if Thor 4 gets made, they know where to take him. But his character is so.... Delightfully bad.  And his voice... His voice fits the role so well.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

They should just make a Loki movie, and let Thor be the supporting character.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Gerard

Quote from: Kaesekopf on November 10, 2013, 01:29:45 AM
Quote from: Larry S. on November 09, 2013, 09:55:26 PM
Thor 2: The Dark World. A little slow in the beginning, but it turned out to be a lot of fun. Tom Hiddleston steals the movie.

Agreed.

I wish Loki had a larger role.  Apparently if Thor 4 gets made, they know where to take him. But his character is so.... Delightfully bad.  And his voice... His voice fits the role so well.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

I enjoyed it too.  I was recently reading the old Lee/Kirby issues in Marvel Masterworks from the 60s and it's amazing how true to the original flavor the movie producers have been. 

In those stories, the masculinity of Thor was always prominent and humorous whenever he was in a city of "the mortals."  I think there's a clear distinction between strong masculine and feminine roles in the film and that is going to be part of its appeal as well as make it a target of the enemies of gender identity in the society. 

Though I do think they only touched on the opportunity to use Volstagg as a comic foil. 

If the genre continues, and the Asgardian aspect grows in popularity, I would really enjoy a light, semi-comedic movie of The Warriors Three with Lady Sif. 

As it is, they are definitely going towards the Jim Starlin "cosmic" epic tales as demonstrated by the introduction of The Collector and they'll wait to bring in Thanos for the 3rd Avengers movie, so that'll mean Adam Warlock is a possibility. 

Starlin wrote most of his best stories pirating from Catholicism and setting up straw man versions of the Church to portray as evil organizations.  He's got a love/hate thing going on with Catholicism.

piabee

Bottle Shock, following an afternoon of California wine tasting.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: piabee on November 11, 2013, 02:00:38 AM

Great film.  Montelena is a great winery to visit as well -- if I ever win the lotto I'm buying their estate cab on futures.  :tongue:
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Archer

Quote from: red solo cup on November 11, 2013, 06:09:01 AM
Olympus has Fallen.  Meh.

I saw that this spring.  It had a couple good one liners and a lot of stuff got blown up. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

drummerboy

R.I.P.D.  (Rest In Peace Dept.)

Ryan Reynolds is a dirty cop who gets killed by his dirty partner, and instead of going to hell is recruited to work with Jeff Bridges to arrest "deados" - basically escaped souls from hell - and then some deados make a staff that will release hell on earth but they are stopped.  Pretty funny.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Aquila

Gravity, Pacific Rim, and Star Trek: into Darkness

Gravity was great in 3D.

Pacific Rim is possibly the worst film I have ever seen. I have know idea how on earth it got 4 stars on Amazon. It's simply atrocious in every department of film-making.

Star Trek was alright. I actually thought it was a little better than the 2009 film. Cumberbatch is a good Khan, but I think the actor himself is a bit overrated. I still much prefer TWOK and First Contact. The new films are much, much better than Nemesis however....man that was a bad film! Whole franchise had to be rebooted after that stinker.

Extra SSPX Nulla Salus.
Dogmatic Sedeplenist.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Aquila on November 11, 2013, 11:46:26 AM
Pacific Rim is possibly the worst film I have ever seen. I have know idea how on earth it got 4 stars on Amazon. It's simply atrocious in every department of film-making.

A priest I know described Pacific Rim this way, in a deadpan manner:
"While watching it, I wanted the monsters to win."
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Aquila

Quote from: Kaesekopf on November 11, 2013, 06:32:05 PM
Quote from: Aquila on November 11, 2013, 11:46:26 AM

A priest I know described Pacific Rim this way, in a deadpan manner:
"While watching it, I wanted the monsters to win."

;D

It was the film Michael Bay only dreams of making. Clichéd, cheesy dialogue? Check. Idiotic main characters who somehow survive despite terrible decision-making and zero common sense? Check. Melodramatic, over the top death scenes? Check. A plot that you can predict the ending to within the first ten minutes (literally)? Check! Plot holes you could drive a semi-truck through? Of course! Completely unrealistic CGI? It's the only thing the movie has going for it. Technology that would never actually exist in real life because the entire concept underlying it is horribly flawed? Naturally.
Extra SSPX Nulla Salus.
Dogmatic Sedeplenist.

piabee

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on November 11, 2013, 03:07:28 AM
Quote from: piabee on November 11, 2013, 02:00:38 AM

Great film.  Montelena is a great winery to visit as well -- if I ever win the lotto I'm buying their estate cab on futures.  :tongue:

I had never heard of it before but I enjoyed it. It was a great way to wind down after all the boozing and driving (activities which were not done by the same people, obvi).

Larry

"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Mr. Mysterious

Thor 2: The Dark World. I like how they brought in one of The Elders of the Universe (Taneleer Tivan, The Collecter) after the credits and alluded to the Infinity Gems. I agree that Adam Warlock may make an eventual appearance but I'll also hope for Captain Mar-vell also. (The Silver Surfer would be even better not to mention some of the other Elders of the Universe such as the Grandmaster, the Gardener, the Runner, etc.)

I'd also enjoy it if in the next Thor movie they use some of the Asgardians not often seen in the Thor comic book: Tyr, Hermod, Hoder, Frey, Freya, Idunn, Aegir, Njord, Bragi, as well as greater roles for Balder and appearances by the death goddess Hela, the Frost Giant Ymir and the fire demon Surtur.

"Take courage! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Gerard

Quote from: The Punisher on November 14, 2013, 11:47:06 PM
Thor 2: The Dark World. I like how they brought in one of The Elders of the Universe (Taneleer Tivan, The Collecter) after the credits and alluded to the Infinity Gems. I agree that Adam Warlock may make an eventual appearance but I'll also hope for Captain Mar-vell also. (The Silver Surfer would be even better not to mention some of the other Elders of the Universe such as the Grandmaster, the Gardener, the Runner, etc.)

I'd also enjoy it if in the next Thor movie they use some of the Asgardians not often seen in the Thor comic book: Tyr, Hermod, Hoder, Frey, Freya, Idunn, Aegir, Njord, Bragi, as well as greater roles for Balder and appearances by the death goddess Hela, the Frost Giant Ymir and the fire demon Surtur.

Don't forget two classics: The Enchantress and The Executioner.