Do we have any ham radio folks in here?

Started by Kaesekopf, January 27, 2013, 06:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Easy enough thread.

Do we have any folks who do amateur radio on the forum?

I've been thinking about getting my license and getting into it. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Eliza

I don't know what ham radio is.

It's just amature radio host stuff? I'd be terrible at that.

Kaesekopf

To operate on the amateur radio bands, yes. 

Unlike CB, it is somewhat regulated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Gottmitunsalex

I used to sell two way radios. Kenwood and ICOM.
UHF & VHF. Some Marine band also. As far as HAM, 2-30Mhz band? I did not delve too much into it.
Although many HAM operators asked me for accessories, programming software, (antennas, etc), I did not sell HAM radios.

I recall some HAM operators tell me that the internet was a turn off for future DX'ers. Since online social networks cut costs etc.  They told me that in the pre-internet days, the HAM radio world was amazing.
That it was a thing of beauty. Installing in their backyards 5, 10 and 12 meter antennas etc.
From Portland HAM users were talking to people in Argentina.

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Hat And Beard

My grandfather used to be very big into amateur radio. I think he still has all of the equipment for it in our shed, and his license plate has his amateur radio tag(?). I've never delved into it or asked him too much about it, I just know that he could talk to people in Europe, and at the time that struck me as pretty neat. :)

Penelope

My fiance and his dad and perhaps his brothers have their ham radio licenses, but I don't think they use their ham radios much anymore.

Ben

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on January 27, 2013, 07:31:02 PM
I used to sell two way radios. Kenwood and ICOM.
UHF & VHF. Some Marine band also. As far as HAM, 2-30Mhz band? I did not delve too much into it.
Although many HAM operators asked me for accessories, programming software, (antennas, etc), I did not sell HAM radios.

I recall some HAM operators tell me that the internet was a turn off for future DX'ers. Since online social networks cut costs etc.  They told me that in the pre-internet days, the HAM radio world was amazing.
That it was a thing of beauty. Installing in their backyards 5, 10 and 12 meter antennas etc.
From Portland HAM users were talking to people in Argentina.

I wish I had been part of that. Always wanted to get into it.

Elliott

I have my technician class amatuer radio license. I don't really use it anymore. I don't even have any radios set up anymore.

It's easy enough to get started, especially if you are good at memorization. The question pools for the exams are available online and there are free practice test sites.

Ben

It would be neat to eat a ham sandwich while operating a HAM radio, wouldn't it?

LouisIX

I always thought it'd be interesting to tinker with.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: LouisIX on January 31, 2013, 12:02:56 PM

Like Elliot said, it's easy enough to get a license in, especially the technician class.  Or, I THINK... if you know someone who has their license, you can use their equipment so long as they supervise you. 

I'll be taking the technician (and general) class tests next week in my area.  I'm excited. 

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 31, 2013, 02:44:18 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on January 31, 2013, 12:02:56 PM

Like Elliot said, it's easy enough to get a license in, especially the technician class.  Or, I THINK... if you know someone who has their license, you can use their equipment so long as they supervise you. 

I'll be taking the technician (and general) class tests next week in my area.  I'm excited.
:thumbsup:
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin