Middle and High School Recommendations in Phoenix area?

Started by Kempis, May 27, 2021, 01:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kempis

Hello all. We are contemplating moving to the Phoenix Arizona area. I am aware of the FSSP parish there (Mater Misericordiæ) and am curious if anyone here goes to that parish? Thoughts?

Also, more importantly, what schools do you send your high school children to? I have seen many Catholic schools online but they are all novus ordo and quite modernist. I cannot go that route for our children. Been there done that.

On the other hand, I don't really want a small k-12 school with very little to offer the high schoolers (ie 100 in the whole school). We have been done that route as well and it just doesn't work.

So, where do traditional Catholic high schoolers in Phoenix (and surrounding area - we are flexible) go to school?

Help!

Insanis

I hope you find the best options, but traditional Catholics usually just do the best they can, and ensure a good home upbringing to prepare them for the world.

The FSSP, as far as I know, rotates their priests every six years, so any old opinions on it will be about architecture or previous experiences. Also, the next rotation is in a few months, so whatever they have now will likely change.

It sounds like you really want to homeschool. I don't think any online school will be "Novus Ordo". That is a liturgical rite, not a school.

Kempis

Thanks for the quick reply. But to be honest, no we do not want to homeschool high schoolers at this point, especially in a new area.

Also, when I refer to a school being novus ordo, I basically mean that the theology is modernist and the sacraments offered at the school are not the traditional sacraments. (we have experienced this already and it is terrible)

I know it is hard to find a traditional Catholic high school but since there is an FSSP parish there, I assume teens go to that parish. Surely not everyone is homeschooled. I'd like to know where they all go to high school or where anyone would recommend for that age group. It is a major determining factor for our move.

TIA

Insanis

Quote from: Kempis on May 27, 2021, 01:27:25 PM
I know it is hard to find a traditional Catholic high school but since there is an FSSP parish there, I assume teens go to that parish. Surely not everyone is homeschooled. I'd like to know where they all go to high school or where anyone would recommend for that age group. It is a major determining factor for our move.

Well, I was such a teenager back when I was young: I went to a public high school because that was the only option to meet the legal requirement.

I turned out alright.

TLM parishes can often be in a desert (not literally, like that one) where people come from miles around to it. I remember back when I was young that some people drove for hours to come to the same parish as me.

So, you should look at what else in the area. If there are no other TLM options within a suitable radius, it is likely the parish is home to a large variety of people who aren't actually from Phoenix.

(I am responding even though I am not in that area because it might be a while before someone from that area responds, even if they are active on the forum.)

Practically speaking, people just do what they can: homeschool, good Catholic school, better than public school private school, public school.

Kempis

Yes. agreed. Our family is already in this mode, as you say.

"Practically speaking, people just do what they can: homeschool, good Catholic school, better than public school private school, public school.

However, there does seem to be a thriving sspx chapel with a school but their website indicates that many of the high schoolers go onto boarding school elsewhere - which leads me to believe that there are not many truly traditional options - which is typical for anywhere besides St Mary's KS I presume.  :D

Anyway, thanks for responding. Hopefully someone with insight into the area has some good advice as well.

Insanis

I have personal experience on one matter: being a school associated with a good organization does not mean it is a good school.

I know of a boys school that sounds great on paper, but in reality, it is a bunch of teenage boys with alumni teachers, reinforcing any vice they might have had and not really learning anything valuable.

I am not saying that this is the case for any school, but it is something to keep in mind. Look at the future achievements of the students when looking at a school.

If they go onto pursue vocations that are worthy (marriage, professions, seminary, etc), then that is good. But if they tend to stagnate and either come back to work at the same school or have limited options otherwise, and constantly identify with their high school experience, it is probably bad.

High school is only a few years. It is a time of great change (physically and mentally), and there are many hazards, but the right school might be the wrong school. So, a good home life is best. I wouldn't have chosen a public school as the best high school for me, but I think back and if I went to that particular school, I'd probably be worse off. Or at least, the moral challenges would have been quite different. High school is not important after I graduated anyway, so getting through it without being permanently harmed was really the only thing that mattered. But I assume you want more than not being harmed: so look at the future of the graduates.

(I am deliberately being vague when writing this to protect privacy and names.)

Michael Wilson

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Obrien

*bump*

Why not take a trip to Phoenix and check out the school? Perhaps you could make a retreat and plan an extra day to visit the school.

james03

Kempis, a tough one.  We live in bad times and fathers are pretty screwed.

"Catholic" high schools are really bad as a rule.  If you go that route, make sure to review weekly their religion class work and point out the heresies.  The social situation is bad also, so keep an eye on especially daughters and their friends.  Expect some of the girls who attend to get pregnant, and expect heavy drug use.  Keep an eagle eye on things.

Secular private schools are a little better as you won't have to counter the heresy, however the social scene is going to be bad.  If it is well off, expect the students to favor coke over pot.  Sexual morals will be atrocious also.  At least find one that requires uniforms.

The "best" option is homeschool, with Classical Ballet for the girls and county sports for the boys.  Use an online program.  Junior/Senior year send them to community college for select classes and take advantage of Catholic Youth Groups and Homeschool Groups.

As the man (assuming off of your tag name), you are responsible to keep the kids Catholic, not your wife.  You will be judged on the outcome.  A very heavy burden in these screwed up times.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"