Bad week for El Presidente

Started by Heinrich, December 20, 2018, 09:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

Around a year if properly stored (vacuum sealing is good), for steaks and such. Ground meat not as long. Deep freeze is best and if it fluctuates, you're playing with intestinal fire.

My plan, once we move, is to buy a Harvest Right freeze dryer and use it all the time (will pop for the oil-less pump). Since meat only absorbs the amount of water it needs, there is no worry over over-hydrating (you're not gonna make steak mush). Uncooked, freeze-dried steak can keep for up to 15 years if properly sealed in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers.

Will reconstitute the steak/pork/chicken and do our own grinding as needed for ground purposes.

One can freeze dry just about anything but high sugar items (honey -- which lasts indefinitely anyway), and high oil foods (peanut butter).

Raw eggs, desserts, full meals, etc. Best plan is to prep meals which are more of a scramble/mash. Or, individual ingredients.

A good variety of freeze dried meals in addition to staples leaves only potable water as a need. With proper storage techniques, one can store water a long while. When limits are reached, dump, clean the containers, and do it all again. Also, having high capacity filters is good, along with a solar powered or old fashioned well.

And of course, one has to defend all that. ;)

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Gardener on January 01, 2019, 11:25:34 PM
Around a year if properly stored (vacuum sealing is good), for steaks and such. Ground meat not as long. Deep freeze is best and if it fluctuates, you're playing with intestinal fire.

My plan, once we move, is to buy a Harvest Right freeze dryer and use it all the time (will pop for the oil-less pump). Since meat only absorbs the amount of water it needs, there is no worry over over-hydrating (you're not gonna make steak mush). Uncooked, freeze-dried steak can keep for up to 15 years if properly sealed in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers.

Will reconstitute the steak/pork/chicken and do our own grinding as needed for ground purposes.

One can freeze dry just about anything but high sugar items (honey -- which lasts indefinitely anyway), and high oil foods (peanut butter).

Raw eggs, desserts, full meals, etc. Best plan is to prep meals which are more of a scramble/mash. Or, individual ingredients.

A good variety of freeze dried meals in addition to staples leaves only potable water as a need. With proper storage techniques, one can store water a long while. When limits are reached, dump, clean the containers, and do it all again. Also, having high capacity filters is good, along with a solar powered or old fashioned well.

And of course, one has to defend all that. ;)

Thanks for the helpful post :thumbsup: I really appreciate it.

I was wondering if you had also given thought to the following places, if not, why? I would love to hear your opinions on
the places below. Thanks so much.

-Nebraska has the FSSP in 2 locations nearby & the Seminary. The Seminarians frequently visit Lincoln & Omaha for different events. 

-Wisconsin has the Institute in different parts of the state & supposedly has good fertile land for homesteading & or small farms.

-West Virginia where Noah is located. And is relatively close to major metropolitan areas in case you need what they may offer.

-North Idaho has a huge trad population, the FSSP & the SSPX are there, a few minutes away from each other  ;)
And people there are into homeschooling, living off the grid, homesteading, self sufficiency, guns, hunting, etc.

-Front Royal Virginia, has Christendom College, Seton Homeschool & lots of homeschoolers, trads of different shades, etc.

-Massachusetts has the Saint Benedict Center, they are in NH as well.
This group has been in Communion with Rome, on & off. They are currently in communion with Rome.
The people that attend there typically live rurally away from the center.
But they attend activities there & have access to jobs in the area. It is supposed to be a tech hub of sorts.

-New Hampshire has a great priest at the FSSP location in Nashua, the local Bishop is supportive of them.
I believe that there  2 local orthodox Catholic Colleges nearby. I think one of the Colleges has 24 hour adoration in the dorms.
Some students commute as well. It would be easy to be self sufficient there. There are some Catholic
homeschooling families. Being in New England has some positives & negatives. There are great museums, libraries,
beautiful architecture, gorgeous landscapes, culture, etc. But it is lacking in faith (according to the opinion of 3 priests that I
have spoken with  :( )

-Kansas has SSPX, FSSP if I am not mistaken. And of course Michael Wilson & Dymphna17 ;)

Gardener

Quote from: Christe Eleison on January 02, 2019, 12:39:17 PM

I was wondering if you had also given thought to the following places, if not, why? I would love to hear your opinions on

-Nebraska has the FSSP in 2 locations nearby & the Seminary. The Seminarians frequently visit Lincoln & Omaha for different events. 

-Wisconsin has the Institute in different parts of the state & supposedly has good fertile land for homesteading & or small farms.

-West Virginia where Noah is located. And is relatively close to major metropolitan areas in case you need what they may offer.

-North Idaho has a huge trad population, the FSSP & the SSPX are there, a few minutes away from each other  ;)
And people there are into homeschooling, living off the grid, homesteading, self sufficiency, guns, hunting, etc.

-Front Royal Virginia, has Christendom College, Seton Homeschool & lots of homeschoolers, trads of different shades, etc.

This group has been in Communion with Rome, on & off. They are currently in communion with Rome.
But they attend activities there & have access to jobs in the area. It is supposed to be a tech hub of sorts.

-New Hampshire has a great priest at the FSSP location in Nashua, the local Bishop is supportive of them.
I believe that there  2 local orthodox Catholic Colleges nearby. I think one of the Colleges has 24 hour adoration in the dorms.
Some students commute as well. It would be easy to be self sufficient there. There are some Catholic
homeschooling families. Being in New England has some positives & negatives. There are great museums, libraries,
beautiful architecture, gorgeous landscapes, culture, etc. But it is lacking in faith (according to the opinion of 3 priests that I

-Kansas has SSPX, FSSP if I am not mistaken. And of course Michael Wilson & Dymphna17 ;)

Nebraska
Land prices are insane, likely due to argriculture. In conjunction with property tax and military installations in Omaha, that leaves only Lincoln as a possible tech hub. Not a lot of options in Lincoln for jobs. My former company is one of the bigger ones but Nebraska just didn't cut the mustard. The Seminary is focused on making priests, and I'm not interested in trying to make a parish life of a non-parish setting. Nor am I interested in the ego inflation that comes from being in that milieu.

Wisconsin
Cold; Way. Too. Cold. Don't care for blue.

West Virginia
Too far east.

North Idaho
Land prices aren't great. Coeur d'Alene is mainly a resort town. Jobs not plentiful and those that I've seen come up pay just enough to live in town and maybe save a little -- not what we want. Short growing season. We really looked at Idaho trying to make it work. Just didn't.

Virginia
See W.b.G.VA

Massachusetts
Politically untenable. Religiously untenable. I'd rather live in Boulder, CO than ever set foot in the People's Republik of MA. Too far east.

New Hampshire
Cold. Too far east.

Kansas

Considered it, but outside of Wichita not much going for it. Would never live in St. Mary's or Maple Hill. Internecine BS isn't my desire.
----

Our criteria included (but was not limited to) a good growing season, politically right wing, available [stable, weekly] Latin Mass, and affordable rural property. We looked at AZ, NM, WY, UT, KS, OK, etc. We also looked at Huntsville, AL.

My wife did a bunch of research as pertained to us (gun laws, homeschooling laws, vax laws, politics, taxation rate, land costs, Latin Mass, etc.) and put it in a spreadsheet. We were then able to look at various factors in a comprehensive manner. In the end, OK kept coming out on top for what we want. For others, elsewhere could be the ticket. Moreover, the Tulsa area seems to win over OKC. It also seems "Tornado alley" is shifting east to MO, AR, and AL.

All things east of the MS river have a hellacious population radius within 200 miles. In the event of a social crisis, Tulsa area is far enough away from most major cities. HSV, while being tucked in the southern Appalachian mountains, is subject to miscreants from Atlanta, Nashville, etc. It's also a defense-tech hub. I'd imagine it's a good nuke target with Redstone Arsenal there.

While I am in IT, I'm not beholden to it. If an opportunity in the oil/gas sector came along and would provide and be stable (not a boom/bust job), I'd just as happily do that. Same with any job, really. IT is just fairly easy and pays well. I don't mind getting dirty, but I won't break my back for the "satisfaction" of being a tradesman, either. I have a duty and that comes first.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Gardener on January 02, 2019, 10:13:39 PM
Quote from: Christe Eleison on January 02, 2019, 12:39:17 PM

Nebraska
Land prices are insane, likely due to argriculture. In conjunction with property tax and military installations in Omaha, that leaves only Lincoln as a possible tech hub. Not a lot of options in Lincoln for jobs. My former company is one of the bigger ones but Nebraska just didn't cut the mustard. The Seminary is focused on making priests, and I'm not interested in trying to make a parish life of a non-parish setting. Nor am I interested in the ego inflation that comes from being in that milieu.

Wisconsin
Cold; Way. Too. Cold. Don't care for blue.

West Virginia
Too far east.

North Idaho
Land prices aren't great. Coeur d'Alene is mainly a resort town. Jobs not plentiful and those that I've seen come up pay just enough to live in town and maybe save a little -- not what we want. Short growing season. We really looked at Idaho trying to make it work. Just didn't.

Virginia
See W.b.G.VA

Massachusetts
Politically untenable. Religiously untenable. I'd rather live in Boulder, CO than ever set foot in the People's Republik of MA. Too far east.

New Hampshire
Cold. Too far east.

Kansas

Considered it, but outside of Wichita not much going for it. Would never live in St. Mary's or Maple Hill. Internecine BS isn't my desire.
----

Our criteria included (but was not limited to) a good growing season, politically right wing, available [stable, weekly] Latin Mass, and affordable rural property. We looked at AZ, NM, WY, UT, KS, OK, etc. We also looked at Huntsville, AL.

My wife did a bunch of research as pertained to us (gun laws, homeschooling laws, vax laws, politics, taxation rate, land costs, Latin Mass, etc.) and put it in a spreadsheet. We were then able to look at various factors in a comprehensive manner. In the end, OK kept coming out on top for what we want. For others, elsewhere could be the ticket. Moreover, the Tulsa area seems to win over OKC. It also seems "Tornado alley" is shifting east to MO, AR, and AL.

All things east of the MS river have a hellacious population radius within 200 miles. In the event of a social crisis, Tulsa area is far enough away from most major cities. HSV, while being tucked in the southern Appalachian mountains, is subject to miscreants from Atlanta, Nashville, etc. It's also a defense-tech hub. I'd imagine it's a good nuke target with Redstone Arsenal there.

While I am in IT, I'm not beholden to it. If an opportunity in the oil/gas sector came along and would provide and be stable (not a boom/bust job), I'd just as happily do that. Same with any job, really. IT is just fairly easy and pays well. I don't mind getting dirty, but I won't break my back for the "satisfaction" of being a tradesman, either. I have a duty and that comes first.

G.

Thanks so much for the detailed post! I really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Regarding Nebraska I was told that Omaha has a ton of jobs, especially in your area. And that it is relatively close to Lincoln.

And when it comes to land that you have to go out a bit into the rural areas to get something affordable. And that both parishes
have a lot going on, but the Omaha one more so. The priest that started the Nashua apostolate in NH did an amazing job
with the Omaha parish. And they are the only one in the country with a bowling alley  ;). A lot of the children take
advantage of that. The Omaha parish has a strong vibrant parish life.

When it comes to Wisconsin and you mentioned Blue, are you referring to them being too Democrat & liberal or what exactly?

I was told that the Institute parish in Wausau, Wisconsin is packed, has a ton of activities & a lot of people homeschool &
homestead as well. From what I also read, it is not as cold as it used to be, and people are complaining about that.

A lot of families live in the outskirts, which is not far & have some land to be self sufficient.
People there are into hunting, growing their own food, and having their guns. People in Wausau as well as in the Green Bay
area (another Institute parish) are very different compared to the Madison & Milwaukee areas.

Supposedly, people in Wisconsin refer to that part of the state as the conservative part.
Homeschooling, homesteading, gun carrying Republicans that have God as a part of their daily lives.

Whenever I have looked at different states, I also look at the pictures of houses for sale, and one thing I loved about looking
at houses in Idaho, Nebraska, Wisconsin is that I always have seen Crucifixes, family altars, statues of Saints, a Mary's
garden & statue. And believe it or not I have seen it in conservative parts of Minnesota as well.

The pictures always give me a glimpse into the personality, faith of the place. 
I was told that when Trump visited them, the lines were super long & the place was packed.

The reason I also mentioned Wisconsin, is because I am also looking at the WATER issue. I think that over time the West coast,
and Intermountain West besides having a problem with forest fires & earthquakes, it also has a huge water problem.

I think that Colorado is one of the states where you can make a really good living as an attorney specializing in water rights, etc.
I could not believe that it is illegal to collect your own rain water, or that you may buy a property but you do not own the
water that falls on your property. That is insane!

So, besides everything you mentioned, I also looked at natural disasters (earthquakes, tornadoes, forest fires,
hurricanes, floods, etc.) And the WATER issue. What is it going to look like in the next couple of decades,
not just for you & your loved ones now, but what about when they are teens & young adults?

The first time I looked at Idaho was because I read about a couple of different families that lived off the grid & made it work.
They used greenhouses. And they lived outside of CdA, you are right, CdA has become too touristy & even unaffordable for locals.
Like I mentioned above, I also liked seeing pictures of statues, altars & Crucifixes all over every single property it seemed.

One couple I managed to speak with said how when they traveled to the East coast they were in shock to see how God is not a part
of peoples lives, while in Northern Idaho, every single person practices their faith. And if you are not a Trad, you are a conservative
Catholic. And in some cases you also find large Evangelical families there as well. Everyone seems to have large families & they all
homeschool. It is probably one of the easiest places to homeschool, no reporting at all. 

From I what I found out, the states where you do not have to report at all to the state, regarding homeschooling:
The first three are the most conservative ones.

1) Idaho
2) Alaska
3) Texas
4) Connecticut
5) New Jersey

What have you found out regarding homeschooling in OK? What about fracking? How is the water issue there?

My issue with Colorado is Water & the cost of living (and the liberal attitudes of the state)
My issue & or concern with OK would be tornadoes, fracking, earthquakes & the quality of the water due to fracking. What do you think?

Thanks & God bless you during the difficult decision making process.  :pray2: 

Christe Eleison

Gardener,

If you happen to choose OK, what would be your Latin Mass options?
How far of a drive would you be from the Latin Mass locations?

Thank you! :)

Gardener

Omaha has a military presence which we aren't keen on. In general, Nebraska doesn't have much going for it.

Blue - Institute. God bless them, but I'm not so enamored with them as to drag my family to what is effectively southern Canada. We looked at the search criteria with Latin Mass in mind, but also with day to day providing and other factors. Wisconsin was never on the list, Latin Mass notwithstanding.

Water - No problem in eastern Oklahoma. There's a reason they don't have basements, generally. A lot of rural properties have creeks, etc. We will seek a property with a well. As for water quality, eh. Anything can happen.

Texas - Despite the loud protestations in their favor, Texas sucks. My brothers live in Texas as do my parents. I'd never live there. The property taxes are insane. Property prices, for that matter, are insane. Unless they're not, and then there's a legitimate reason.

Homeschooling laws - best we have found based on my wife's comprehensive research:
Oklahoma
Idaho
Missouri
Texas
Michigan

Fracking - if James isn't concerned, I'm not concerned. The people in the industry don't seem bothered. If anyone thought they were on a geological timebomb, I'd suspect they'd get out.

Tornadoes - They occur many places. Colorado too.

Earthquakes - Stuff happens. I'm not concerned.

Climate change issues - the climate changes -- granted. I don't buy anthropomorphic climate change. I am not sure on predictions, and I'm not concerned with what may be in 30 years. A prediction, as far as climate, is hard to say. A few decades ago we were to enter another ice age. Now it's global warming. What if Yellowstone blows? Or the Pacific ring of fire goes bonkers and ash clouds throw us into a cooling period beyond whatever we may be entering? Who knows.

Oklahoma Latin Mass - In Tulsa, they have the FSSP and a Diocesan option. SSPX was there, but isn't any longer. OKC has SSPX and FSSP. If we live near Tulsa, anywhere from 20-45 minutes. I'm hesitant to take a job in Bartlesville since there are only a few employers there of any considerable measure. In the Tulsa area, I can hop to a different company with little impact on drive time. If I set roots in Bartlesville, and end up having to accept a job in Tulsa due to lack of local positions... that would suck. However, I'm willing to consider Bartlesville and drive further for Mass IF and only IF I get into a good ole boy style position where I'd have to poop on the CEO's desk to get fired.

Lambda Phage

One thing nobody ever mentions that makes a world of difference to me, having kids and wanting a big property and all:

Red Imported Fire Ants

Good freakin luck. Somehow people in the south have adapted to these things, but they are down right sinister. And they are only spreading. I will never in my life willingly live south of the Ohio River because of them. They can and probably will spread to every state south of that, minus the very dry ones, at some point in the future if we do not invade hell and destroy the fire ant manufacturing plant there. You can "treat" your yard but have fun doing that if you have a large yard, and it won't work anyway. They will come back eventually. Very expensive, aggressive, invasive, dangerous to small children, and they destroy crops as well. They're pretty much the only man made environmental catastrophe that I am concerned about.

When I was in the south, I remember talking to people and being like "Yeah, but don't you wish you could just let your kids run around, and just lay out under the stars and fall asleep in a random patch of grass and have nothing kill you? That's life in the midwest." Usually they were amazed.

Where I'm from there are no poisonous snakes, no mountain lions, no bears. The white tail deer is the most dangerous animal. Mosquitos are around for only a couple months a year instead of year round like in the deep south, and we don't have giant freaking cockroaches that crawl or fly into your house when it rains. And it rains plenty and you can do whatever you want with water. The Great Lakes are where it's at. And at least where I lived: no earthquakes, hurricanes, or floods, and only occasionally did I hear about tornadoes. Tornadoes generally only affect very small areas at a time, like neighborhoods rather than cities. It's just if there is one it will destroy everything in that small area. But as Gardener said they can happen in many places.

Of your list I vote Wisconsin. Never been there but it's close enough. I like cold. Cold is good, seasons are good. All the evil critters that haunt your nightmares and infest your home and destroy your property are killed by cold.

It gets cold, it gets hot, but seasonal changes add a lot of cultural value to life to me. The year goes by fast, remains interesting, and always gives you something to look forward to in another 3 months. It keeps your wardrobe fresh and varied, and provides diverse activities for kids as well. Seasons keep my life organized and on schedule. In the deep south it was summer for 12 months and for 3 of those months it was more oppressing than a northern winter. Nobody goes outside when it's that hot because you'll literally die. To me it is just a more proper order of things if summer is when you go outside and winter is when you stay inside, and not vice versa.

I strongly considered Idaho. On paper it is the best for what I wanted. But a few things drove me away.

1.The culture. Even though there are a lot of Trads, my travels in the military over the past 2 years have shown me that even Trads vary a lot culturally and often there is a bit of a geographic influence. I'm from the midwest. Idaho conservatives are not the same as midwest conservatives. Many of our fathers escaped poverty by fleeing the fields and working in factories. That's part of why I put much energy into defending the industrial revolution on this forum in the past. Time, law, and structure are generally more mportant to us than on the west coast, but we're not east coast impatient/rude/self absorbed. I like to think of us as being a happy medium (of course it's what I'm used to). Midwesterners will leave you alone if you leave them alone, unlike the south where everybody annoyingly pesters you. But if you actually want to talk to someone and you approach them they will be friendly and genuinely interested in holding a conversation, unlike the west coast where they just want you to leave them the heck alone, or the east coast where they might be rude.

Idaho is as relaxed as the west coast, but conservative/libertarian. It's a unique mix and not a bad thing, it's just not for me.

You can find plenty of cheap land in midwestern states (I include wisconsin in the midwest), and despite the population sizes the states are still predominately farm land. But all the people live in the cities or suburbs. Most Trads in the midwest I gather are suburban middle class people. I think of them as being normal people. Less likely to be eccentric and paranoid. Many do live in the country as well but even those ones generally originated in the suburbs. I actually like that even if you live in the country, you're never too far from the city. The trads I've met in the south, no offense to anyone here, are just.. different, to me.

2. Mormons. I could be wrong, but I think it is a Mormon majority state. And it's not just Boise. I had a classmate in professional school who was a mormon from CDA, whose mormon wife was also from CDA. They are extremely nice people, they were some of my best buds in professional school and were moral people. I'd have no problem with my kids having mormon friends. But I don't want to live in a state where they are found in such significant numbers. I consider their faith threatening to ours, and I hate that they go on mission primarily in former Catholic countries. I never met a mormon in the midwest until I started professional school. Nor a muslim until college in the city. Unfortunately midwestern cities have a ton of those.

3. Air quality. You'd think mountain air would be great but it's actually not. It tends not to circulate. The wind in the midwest is a blessing. There is a paper mill in northern Idaho and you can apparently smell it all the time depending on where exactly you live because the air just sits there, trapped in the mountains.

And if yellowstone ever blows you'll be totally safe in Wisconsin. Currents from the rockies will blanket everything west of the mississippi.

I know, tremendously biased and racist against other regions of the US. ;D All in good fun.

A lot of it is legitimate personal preference. The nice thing is you have options.

Lambda Phage

I actually consider life in the middle east an improvement over the rural deep south. Granted, instead of being surrounded by fire ants that want to kill me I'm now surrounded by muslims that want to kill me. And granted, we do get shot at every once in a while.

But the fire ants were actually intelligent.

Heinrich

Quote from: Lambda Phage on January 03, 2019, 08:26:14 AM
I actually consider life in the middle east an improvement over the rural deep south. Granted, instead of being surrounded by fire ants that want to kill me I'm now surrounded by muslims that want to kill me. And granted, we do get shot at every once in a while.

Greg, that you?

What everyone here, but me ;D, is overlooking is the bestest place evvuh: Kentucky! Central KY has the FSSP and Louisville has a strong diocesan TLM community. I believe the CMRI and Resistance are within the King Louis Village as well, but these would never be factors in relocation for me.

Lambda hits the nail on the head and slam dunks the delights of what makes the Midwest special, although I disagree with most of his Southland criticisms. I had an opportunity to work in central Michigan and found, to my delight, that a significant tract of land for building, hunting, hobby farming and fishing were well within reason. Not to mention the town of Hillsdale, which would have had as a caveat an hour commute for me if we decided to buy a Victorian type in town instead of rural. We could get rid of one car and Mrs. H would be able to still do her hobby businesses and walk to a possible P/T job, library on campus, coffee shop(dog friendly I would assume), etc.  However, the deciding factors against: still too far a drive to an authentic trad community: 2 hours to FSSP in South Bend, 2 hours to SSPX outside of Grand Rapids. Jackson, Michigan, where I would have worked, has a traditional community within diocesan structure.  So no Michigan as of yet.

But back to Kentucky: this is the land of my mother's birth and where many of my distance relatives live. Georgetown, KY has a solid middle class manufacturing culture, college, and the FSSP(right outside of town). She is in a right good location to Lexington for chopping, dining, recreation: Costco, niche BBQ houses, Keeneland. Also, an hour south one can find Daniel Boone National Forest. Prolly as remote a location east of Mississippi as you can find excepting northern Maine. Here is a quaint allegory for the culture of KY:

[yt][/yt]
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

King Wenceslas

And just where are the 47% going to run to? Marco Rubio? Another Bush? Pence? That is a laugh. He will make a deal with the Demoncrats in two seconds to legalize all of the illegals and keep the invasion going.

Michael Wilson

I lived in Florida for 27 years; I loved it there; you accept the fact that there are fire ants, giant prehistoric Cockroaches, Alligators and Crocodiles; Pythons; Hurricanes; tropical depressions; it just seems "normal"; but the real killer at least for me, is the traffic. After living here in St. Marys and driving in Topeka, I could never go back and fight the S. Fla. Traffic again.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Gardener

Quote from: Michael Wilson on January 03, 2019, 06:36:46 PM
I lived in Florida for 27 years; I loved it there; you accept the fact that there are fire ants, giant prehistoric Cockroaches, Alligators and Crocodiles; Pythons; Hurricanes; tropical depressions; it just seems "normal"; but the real killer at least for me, is the traffic. After living here in St. Marys and driving in Topeka, I could never go back and fight the S. Fla. Traffic again.

I grew up in Florida and my wife was all worried that the heat/humidity of Oklahoma would be bothersome to me since I like the weather in CO. I found a website which shows heat/humidity/heat index over the year by zip code. Once she saw in graphical form what I grew up in, she understood why I laughed when she raised the objection.

Lambda Phage

Quote from: Heinrich on January 03, 2019, 11:42:50 AM
Quote from: Lambda Phage on January 03, 2019, 08:26:14 AM

Greg, that you?

What everyone here, but me ;D, is overlooking is the bestest place evvuh: Kentucky! Central KY has the FSSP and Louisville has a strong diocesan TLM community. I believe the CMRI and Resistance are within the King Louis Village as well, but these would never be factors in relocation for me.

Lambda hits the nail on the head and slam dunks the delights of what makes the Midwest special, although I disagree with most of his Southland criticisms. I had an opportunity to work in central Michigan and found, to my delight, that a significant tract of land for building, hunting, hobby farming and fishing were well within reason. Not to mention the town of Hillsdale, which would have had as a caveat an hour commute for me if we decided to buy a Victorian type in town instead of rural. We could get rid of one car and Mrs. H would be able to still do her hobby businesses and walk to a possible P/T job, library on campus, coffee shop(dog friendly I would assume), etc.  However, the deciding factors against: still too far a drive to an authentic trad community: 2 hours to FSSP in South Bend, 2 hours to SSPX outside of Grand Rapids. Jackson, Michigan, where I would have worked, has a traditional community within diocesan structure.  So no Michigan as of yet.

But back to Kentucky: this is the land of my mother's birth and where many of my distance relatives live. Georgetown, KY has a solid middle class manufacturing culture, college, and the FSSP(right outside of town). She is in a right good location to Lexington for chopping, dining, recreation: Costco, niche BBQ houses, Keeneland. Also, an hour south one can find Daniel Boone National Forest. Prolly as remote a location east of Mississippi as you can find excepting northern Maine. Here is a quaint allegory for the culture of KY:

[yt][/yt]

Haha they don't make cartoons like that anymore.

I am trying very hard to PCS to Kentucky when I get home. Having a city named after King Louis XVI is pretty dope.

We stayed in Shepherdsville a couple times in our travels when passing through Louisville and I was quite fond of that area. Cincinnati is not too far either.

But last time I requested anything I didn't get it, so we'll see.

Edit: To be consistent I don't consider a PCS as "willingly living." I'll only be there 2 years and then I'm free.

Gardener

What's your MOS? Trying to go to Knox or Campbell?

Lambda Phage

I don't want to tell because there are few of me.

I'd take either.