"Mary" as Boy's Middle Name

Started by GaudeMariaVirgo, April 05, 2021, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaudeMariaVirgo

Hi all, my husband and I were having an interesting conversation yesterday. We have some good friends who have given ALL of their children (boys as well as girls) "Mary" as a middle name. I think this is an interesting and cool tradition (it sounds "Continental" to me and not unusual), but my husband was pretty emphatic that it doesn't translate to a modern American context and that he wouldn't want to do it for our children. I can see both sides, but was wondering what you all thought of it. Have you given any of your sons variants of Mary as a middle name, and what's been your experience with this tradition in general? (FWIW, our son does not have Mary or any variant thereof as a middle name  ;))

Melkor

Not married, but if I do get married and God blesses me with a son(s), they will definitely not have Mary as a middle name. We are not in the 13th century anymore. Just my thoughts.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

mikemac

Louis-Marie Grignion de Montfort.  I don't think he chose the name when he became a priest either.  His Wikipedia page says "Louis-Marie passed most of his infancy and early childhood in Iffendic ..."  It may be a French thing.  Both his mother and father had the same first name; Jean-Baptiste and Jeanne Robert Grignion.  I had a friend named Claire; he had a French Canadian surname.

I kind of like the fact that they gave all their children the name Mary as a middle name.  But in this day and age the boys might have to learn to defend themselves.  I'll let Johnny Cash explain.  :)

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdreZ3qKqs8[/yt]
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Melkor

@mikemac I was actually thinking of this song as I replied. Lol

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Melkor

'Some gal would giggle and I'd get red, some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head...' essence of manhood right there lol.

Jayne

I am past my baby naming days, but I would not use Mary as a boy's middle name.  I would however seriously consider the Lithuanian version, Marius, even as a first name.  We have a Lithuanian last name and chose all our children's names to be compatible with that.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Kaesekopf

I know two priests by the (religious) name of Fr Joseph-Mary and Fr Thomas Mary. 

It sounds odd at first, but it grows on you. 

I do think it sounds rather "Continental", and I can't say definitively that I would do so, but I don't think it's objectionable. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Daniel

Quote from: GaudeMariaVirgo on April 05, 2021, 12:15:45 PM
it doesn't translate to a modern American context

This is true at the moment, but might not be for long now that the homosexual lobby is trying to do away with the sexes. Before you know it boys will have all sorts of girly names and vice versa, and no one'll bat an eyelash :'(

Wish it didn't translate to a modern American context. I wouldn't let that stop me though. It does sound unusual, but I kind of like the name. It's countercultural and it honours our Lady. The downside would be, if people mock him (which they surely will) then they'll profane our Lady's name in the process. Maybe give him the name, but conceal it from everybody who can't be trusted with it.

Michael Wilson

John Wayne's birth name was "Marion" a male form of Mary.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

dymphnaw

Unless you're French the poor kid is going to catch a lot of flack when he goes to school.

mikemac

Quote from: Michael Wilson on April 05, 2021, 07:09:27 PM
John Wayne's birth name was "Marion" a male form of Mary.

Yeah I know a Polish guy with the name Marion.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Prayerful

There's the Irish Rebel Joseph Mary Plunket.

Maybe Marion Barry, onetime Mayor of DC.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Christina_S

I would consider the male versions mentioned, like Marius or Mario. I've thought of a similar conundrum for girls: what if you're wanting some derivative of Joseph, but you don't like Josephine or Josepha?  ;)

My husband and I are planning to follow the custom of have some variation of Mary in our daughters' names and Joseph in our sons' names.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

ermy_law

If I recall correctly, every child in Abp. Marcel Lefebvre's family had the names of Mary and Joseph as part of their names. I assume it's a French custom of a certain vintage.

I haven't and wouldn't use the name Mary as part of my sons' names.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Melkor on April 05, 2021, 01:00:28 PM
Not married, but if I do get married and God blesses me with a son(s), they will definitely not have Mary as a middle name. We are not in the 13th century anymore. Just my thoughts.

This is a very powerful and convincing argument.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.