Catholic Book Publisher Recommendations

Started by Insanis, July 07, 2021, 02:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insanis

Quote from: Prayerful on July 08, 2021, 05:20:05 PM
Loreto publications are great... plus the Haydock Douay Rheims. Excellent stuff.

I have that Haydock D-R. I forget it was by them. Thanks for the reminder. I'll see what else they have.

Prayerful

Quote from: Insanis on July 08, 2021, 05:24:47 PM
Quote from: Prayerful on July 08, 2021, 05:20:05 PM
Loreto publications are great... plus the Haydock Douay Rheims. Excellent stuff.

I have that Haydock D-R. I forget it was by them. Thanks for the reminder. I'll see what else they have.

Happily I got it before Customs got stricter. They've a lot of keen priced stuff.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Insanis

Quote from: Prayerful on July 08, 2021, 05:56:16 PMHappily I got it before Customs got stricter. They've a lot of keen priced stuff.

I actually got it new wholesale from a Catholic bookstore in person. It doesn't get much better than that. I don't think one could get a used copy of it for that low of a price.

Insanis

TAN Books is having a sale, 40% off (code for it is on the site) for a few days.

The code is on the site while it is active.

As of writing this, I have orders from St. Bonaventure Publications and TAN.

ermy_law

While I don't actually own any of their books at present, Mediatrix Press has a lot of interesting offerings.

I think most of our books are from Loreto Publications and old Tan paperbacks, along with the trad-classics from Angelus.

Insanis

Quote from: ermy_law on July 09, 2021, 07:31:13 AM
While I don't actually own any of their books at present, Mediatrix Press has a lot of interesting offerings.

I never heard of this one, and I just logged in and saw this, and checked it out, and they appear to have a title I've had on my list. I'll check them out.

moneil

I am a used book store junkie, where one may find classic tomes from traditional publishers (Sheed & Ward, Benziger Brothers for example).  While some of the titles may be available new in reprint from other publishers it is nice to have the original (though the condition may vary), some titles may be no longer in print, and the price is often low (though occasionally high if it is considered rare).

Most public libraries have a "Friends of the (insert name) Library" group which receive the withdrawn books from the library, as well as donation books from other sources.  These groups will typically have a book sale corner inside the library and will also have large periodic public sales with hundreds or even thousands of books available.  Typical prices are 50 cents for paperbacks and $1.00 for hard covers.

Hit and miss as they may be, one never knows when the family of a deceased owner of a large and interesting personal library will just unload everything at a local charity shop.  I am always browsing.

Whenever I travel (mostly short motor trips in Eastern Washington) my itinerary is often interrupted if I pass by a used book store in a small town  ;D.

Very good online sources in my experience are AbeBooks and Better World Books.  Sometimes if I'm stumped I'll even try Amazon.  Most used books on Amazon are coming from their resellers so I'll go directly to the source rather than buy through Amazon.  Ebay can be a good source on occasion, though book sellers there often seem to be seeking "top dollar" and I'm looking to be frugal.

Insanis

I have limited means to travel, but I find I can spend endless hours browsing used "hordes".

For books, it can be quite exhausting though, as they are rarely organized well where I have seen them and they tend to be priced oddly.

The public library "Friends" sales here can have good things, but they don't normally have much religious stuff. They are good for history though usually.

Insanis

This was posted in another thread, but I think it is useful to have here too:

Quote from: aquinas138 on July 08, 2021, 07:33:53 AM
I don't have any particular book recommendations, but Eastern Christian Publications is a Byzantine Catholic publisher that has a lot of theological books written by Eastern Catholic clergy, in addition to some Orthodox publications. You might find something of interest there.

You can search by author easily on it.

I'm about to make an order and will probably post a review here or there on the book for others.

MundaCorMeum

Daughters of Mary Press is another one. 

Ragnarok

Another good one:

https://www.theabbeyshop.com/index.php

They publish a really good version of the "Monastic Diurnal", which is the main book used by Benedictines.

Insanis

Quote from: Ragnarok on July 11, 2021, 07:48:45 AM
Another good one:

https://www.theabbeyshop.com/index.php

They publish a really good version of the "Monastic Diurnal", which is the main book used by Benedictines.

Thanks. I'll check them out.