Questions for Non-Sedevacantists

Started by Bonaventure, August 24, 2023, 07:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

1. Do you think Francis is orthodox? If so, why and how?

2. How do you view sedevacantists? Mistaken? Schismatic? "Protestant?"

3. Do you think a sedevacantism is possible? If so, what else would need to happen for you to embrace such a position? (For example, many people drew their line in the sand with John Paul II's canonization).

4. Do you think that the Novus Ordo Missae/Vatican II documents are orthodox? Are they licit? Are they Catholic?

5. If they items in #4 are not orthodox, valid, or licit, how do you reconcile this with indefectibility and the universal, ordinary magisterium.

6. Would you attend the Mass of a sedevacantist priest? Would you receive communion? (This need not be a sedevacantist order or group. For example, I know of multiple diocesan clergy who do not name Bergoglio in the Canon).
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Maximilian

Quote from: Bonaventure on August 24, 2023, 07:17:22 PM1. Do you think Francis is orthodox? If so, why and how?
    No.

2. How do you view sedevacantists? Mistaken? Schismatic? "Protestant?"
    Mistaken. Hyper-ultra-montanist.

3. Do you think a sedevacantism is possible?
    Yeah, when you don't elect a pope. Once you elect a pope, then the seat is no longer vacant.

4. Do you think that the Novus Ordo Missae/Vatican II documents are orthodox? Are they licit? Are they Catholic?
    No. No. No.

5. If they items in #4 are not orthodox, valid, or licit, how do you reconcile this with indefectibility and the universal, ordinary magisterium.
    Indefectibility is a joke invented only at the end of the 19th century in order to cover up the failure of the even bigger joke of infallibility.

6. Would you attend the Mass of a sedevacantist priest? Would you receive communion?
Yes. Yes.

A sedevacantist priest, with whom I disagree over just about everything in his sermons, and sedevacantism is by far the least of it, is an excellent confessor.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: Bonaventure on August 24, 2023, 07:17:22 PM1. Do you think Francis is orthodox? If so, why and how?

No

Quote from: Bonaventure on August 24, 2023, 07:17:22 PM2. How do you view sedevacantists? Mistaken? Schismatic? "Protestant?"

Mistaken.  Hyperpapalist.  If they're right, then we haven't had a Pope in centuries.

Quote from: Bonaventure on August 24, 2023, 07:17:22 PM3. Do you think a sedevacantism is possible? If so, what else would need to happen for you to embrace such a position? (For example, many people drew their line in the sand with John Paul II's canonization).

Possible in theory.  Benevacantism is much more plausible than sedevacantism, but only because of the questions about Benedict's resignation and questions about whether the St. Gallen Group conspiracy violated the rules of conclave.  It's not about the duration.  It's about the reasoning.

Quote from: Bonaventure on August 24, 2023, 07:17:22 PM4. Do you think that the Novus Ordo Missae/Vatican II documents are orthodox? Are they licit? Are they Catholic?

NO = As written, it is lacking but not explicitly heterodox.  As celebrated, it is a wreck.  Liceity is above my pay grade.
VII = Ambiguous but not explicitly heterodox; can be interpreted in continuity if one tries hard enough.

Quote from: Bonaventure on August 24, 2023, 07:17:22 PM5. If they items in #4 are not orthodox, valid, or licit, how do you reconcile this with indefectibility and the universal, ordinary magisterium.

Indefectibility doesn't enter into the question.  Infallibility prevents the Church from producing binding dogmatic or doctrinal teachings.  The liturgy is clearly neither of those.

Quote from: Bonaventure on August 24, 2023, 07:17:22 PM6. Would you attend the Mass of a sedevacantist priest? Would you receive communion? (This need not be a sedevacantist order or group. For example, I know of multiple diocesan clergy who do not name Bergoglio in the Canon).

No.
this page left intentionally blank

Melkite

No

Quote2. How do you view sedevacantists? Mistaken? Schismatic? "Protestant?"

Schismatic.  Protestant in nature, not theology.

Quote3. Do you think a sedevacantism is possible? If so, what else would need to happen for you to embrace such a position? (For example, many people drew their line in the sand with John Paul II's canonization).

Only as an interregnum.  Which, if sedevacantism is true, I guess this would just be an abnormally long interregnum.  However, the longer the interregnum is, the more absurd the papal claims are, imo.  I don't see how Christ could have intended for there to be a necessary head of his Church on earth that all must submit to if the head's seat could remain vacant for decades.  At this point, a whole generation of Catholics have lived and begun dying without there ever being a pope?  Seems ridiculous to me.

Quote4. Do you think that the Novus Ordo Missae/Vatican II documents are orthodox? Are they licit? Are they Catholic?

I've never read them, but from what I know of them, I think they can be understood in an orthodox way.  If they can be orthodox, then they can be valid and licit.

Quote5. If they items in #4 are not orthodox, valid, or licit, how do you reconcile this with indefectibility and the universal, ordinary magisterium.

You can't.  The two together are logically impossible.  If Vatican II was a true departure from the faith, then the Church is defectible and Christ was a liar.

Quote6. Would you attend the Mass of a sedevacantist priest? Would you receive communion? (This need not be a sedevacantist order or group. For example, I know of multiple diocesan clergy who do not name Bergoglio in the Canon).

No.  Wouldn't receive communion either.  I would sooner receive communion from an Orthodox priest.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: Melkite on August 30, 2023, 01:54:42 PMNo.  Wouldn't receive communion either.  I would sooner receive communion from an Orthodox priest.

There's no coherent reasoning that would justify this position.

Baylee

Quote from: Bonaventure on August 24, 2023, 07:17:22 PM2. How do you view sedevacantists? Mistaken? Schismatic? "Protestant?"

This question is unfair and leading.  Now that someone has responded that they think sedes are schismatic, I feel the need to say something.  What they say is against the rules, but they are only responding to your question. Maybe you should remove that question in your OP?

Michael Wilson

By reading the responses from those who do not favor the sede position; it is manifest that in order to hold to their own views: 1. They do not understand Church doctrine on Ecclesiology or 2. Understanding it, they prefer to reject it.
That is why I had to embrace the sede position from the former R&R view that I held; the latter is doctrinally untenable. The logic of R&R leads one either to reject the Catholic Church as the one true Church founded by Our Divine Savior or to return and embrace the Conciliar church. Sooner or latter one has to fall on one side of the fence one is dancing on or the other.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: Michael Wilson on August 30, 2023, 05:39:00 PMBy reading the responses from those who do not favor the sede position; it is manifest that in order to hold to their own views: 1. They do not understand Church doctrine on Ecclesiology or 2. Understanding it, they prefer to reject it.

It is clear to me that sedes do not understand Church doctrine on infallibility, or, understanding it, they prefer to reject it.

In sede world, infallibility is not a negative charism with limits.  In sede world, infallibility is a supercharism that effectively guarantees that a human could never legitimately hold the office of Pope.

Melkite

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on August 30, 2023, 02:43:22 PM
Quote from: Melkite on August 30, 2023, 01:54:42 PMNo.  Wouldn't receive communion either.  I would sooner receive communion from an Orthodox priest.

There's no coherent reasoning that would justify this position.

Sure there is.  I'm an Eastern Catholic.  The sedes, imo, are, in many ways, in a similar position to the Orthodox.  Both have valid sacraments.  Both have apostolic succession (though I think it may be dubious with some sede priests - something I'd need to look more into). Both reject the pope as having any authority over them (I find "he isn't really the pope!" to be an excuse for one's rebellion).  Sedes largely have chosen their schism, whereas Orthodox were mostly born into theirs.  The Orthodox likely have less personal culpability for being in schism.  So it would be at least slightly better for me to receive from an Orthodox priest than a sede priest.

If you have points to the contrary, I'll certainly consider them.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: Melkite on August 31, 2023, 06:21:43 AMI find "he isn't really the pope!" to be an excuse for one's rebellion.

You read hearts now?  I think it's much more reasonable to take them at their word.  They can be wrong without being culpable, just like the Orthodox.

Quote from: Melkite on August 31, 2023, 06:21:43 AMThe Orthodox likely have less personal culpability for being in schism.  So it would be at least slightly better for me to receive from an Orthodox priest than a sede priest.

"Look how good these people are because they were born that way."

It is not based in objective reality.  Sedes believe in the papacy and all Catholic doctrine.  They just believe that the papacy hasn't been occupied in 70 years.  Orthodox reject the papacy and a great number of doctrines.

Like I said, I wouldn't receive Holy Communion from a sede, but receiving from an Orthodox priest isn't justified by logic.  This idea is supported only by muh feels.

LausTibiChriste

Suggesting it's based on muh feels fits exactly into the "reading hearts" accusation that you accused Melkite of.

The Trad understanding of Orthodoxy is so skewed I don't even know where to begin (to be fair, Orthodox understanding of Catholicism is so f***ed I also don't know where to begin).

I'm with Melkite though, I'd sooner receive from an Orthodox priest than a Sede.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on August 31, 2023, 09:16:37 AMSuggesting it's based on muh feels fits exactly into the "reading hearts" accusation that you accused Melkite of.

Hardly.  It's not based in logic, and this is easy to demonstrate.  If a modernist churchman were attempting to justify this illogic, I can promise you that the word "pastoral" would appear in his explanation.

The Orthodox might have valid sacraments, but they deny vast swathes of true doctrine.

The sedes have valid sacraments and don't deny any doctrines.

Both camps have members who were "born into it".

LausTibiChriste

Guess I'll give my $0.02 CAD

Quote1. Do you think Francis is orthodox? If so, why and how?

Heretical anti-Popes are by definition anti-Popes

Quote2. How do you view sedevacantists? Mistaken? Schismatic? "Protestant?"

Depends. If it comes to Frank, it's obvious. The ones denying John XXIII onward, I've never seen a proper argument. But then again I'm starting to doubt the validity of NO sacraments so what do I know?

Quote3. Do you think a sedevacantism is possible? If so, what else would need to happen for you to embrace such a position? (For example, many people drew their line in the sand with John Paul II's canonization).

Anything's possible. Christ (literally God) died, the Jews spent 40 years wandering the desert. In retrospect the time since V2 is relatively short, so I guess it could be possible. JP2s election to disprove the post-V2 papacies is silly. All canonization means is that dude is in Heaven...that's IT.

Quote4. Do you think that the Novus Ordo Missae/Vatican II documents are orthodox? Are they licit? Are they Catholic?

Orthodox? No
Licit? Maybe, but barely and only out of God's abundant mercy
Catholic? No.

Quote5. If they items in #4 are not orthodox, valid, or licit, how do you reconcile this with indefectibility and the universal, ordinary magisterium.

I don't know how to answer this, honestly.

Quote6. Would you attend the Mass of a sedevacantist priest? Would you receive communion? (This need not be a sedevacantist order or group. For example, I know of multiple diocesan clergy who do not name Bergoglio in the Canon).

Maybe and no.

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on August 31, 2023, 09:21:07 AM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on August 31, 2023, 09:16:37 AMSuggesting it's based on muh feels fits exactly into the "reading hearts" accusation that you accused Melkite of.

Hardly.  It's not based in logic, and this is easy to demonstrate.  If a modernist churchman were attempting to justify this illogic, I can promise you that the word "pastoral" would appear in his explanation.

The Orthodox might have valid sacraments, but they deny vast swathes of true doctrine.

The sedes have valid sacraments and don't deny any doctrines.

Both camps have members who were "born into it".

You are not born into Sedevacantism the same way you are born into Orthodoxy - to think so would be foolish. A person born and raised in a sede parish in Ohio, for example, has infinitely more chances to become acquainted with non-sede Catholicism than even a city dweller in Moscow.

Also your position is not logicial at all. If it is, please, state the logic.

The Orthodox do not deny "Vast swathes" of true doctrine...a statement that's more or less slander considering what Russian Catholics, Melkites and Chaldeans believe..all in union with Rome - a Rome which allows, for example, the veneration of St Sergius of Radonezh. Such black and white statements are exactly why, from both camps, we have no chance on communion anytime soon. Nuance is clearly not a word in your lexicon.

- MaximGun

awkward customer

Quote from: Melkite on August 30, 2023, 01:54:42 PM
Quote from: Bonaventure on August 24, 2023, 07:17:22 PM3. Do you think a sedevacantism is possible? If so, what else would need to happen for you to embrace such a position? (For example, many people drew their line in the sand with John Paul II's canonization).

Only as an interregnum.  Which, if sedevacantism is true, I guess this would just be an abnormally long interregnum.  However, the longer the interregnum is, the more absurd the papal claims are, imo.  I don't see how Christ could have intended for there to be a necessary head of his Church on earth that all must submit to if the head's seat could remain vacant for decades.  At this point, a whole generation of Catholics have lived and begun dying without there ever being a pope?  Seems ridiculous to me.

But you're putting limits on what Christ might have intended and how we are to view a 65 year period without a Pope in view of the devastation caused by Vatican II and the Modernism that it embodies.

What sounds ridiculous to you might be wise in God's eyes. 

Christ has given us all we need to discern what's going through the warnings contained in  2Thess2.   65 years without a Pope should leave us in no doubt that we are witnessing the warnings by St Paul come true.

Bergoglio is the 6th pope of the Revolt.  Is it a coincidence that while Bergoglio blessed, in the Vatican, the demon goddess Pachamama who demanded child sacrifice, the child mutilating trans ideologues were coming out in force?

This is no mere interregnum.