Atheist

Started by Shadow Fox, July 30, 2014, 01:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sbyvl36

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on August 04, 2014, 07:55:29 AM
Evil I have found is a very good foundation to attack atheist world views. They recognise the concept of evil or "wrong" even if they think theism is its apex. Go after them to tell you by what metric they define something evil wrong or unjust....how do you know the salem witchtrials werent a good thing?  Why was it unjust what happened to Galileo?  Etc...youll have them stammering and backpeddeling in no time.

Especially for us Geocentricists... ;)
My blog: sbyvl.wordpress.com

"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

"Neither the true faith nor eternal salvation is to be found outside the Holy Catholic Church."
--Pope Pius IX

"That the Conciliar Church is a schismatic Church, because it breaks with the Catholic Church that has always been. It has its new dogmas, its new priesthood, its new institutions, its new worship, all already condemned by the Church in many a document, official and definitive."
--Archbishop Lefebvre

Heliocentricism is idiocy.

Revixit

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on August 04, 2014, 07:55:29 AM
Evil I have found is a very good foundation to attack atheist world views. They recognise the concept of evil or "wrong" even if they think theism is its apex. Go after them to tell you by what metric they define something evil wrong or unjust....how do you know the salem witchtrials werent a good thing?  Why was it unjust what happened to Galileo?  Etc...youll have them stammering and backpeddeling in no time.

Most people think the Church treated Galileo horribly, which wasn't the case.  He was under house arrest in Florence, his home, but it was more like "Don't leave town without telling us/getting permission."  He wasn't chained up in a dungeon, much less burned at the stake.  And while he was in Rome answering to the Inquisition, he was lodged in a posh palazzo that belonged to a bishop or cardinal.  At least one cardinal agreed with him about the science but thought it wasn't something most people could accept at that time.  Lots of people still like to think the universe revolves around them. 

Caveat: it's been years since I read about Galileo so don't repeat what I said without checking a good encyclopedia.  But surely you know that, right?  I wouldn't deliberately post something untrue but that doesn't mean I never make misteaks.   8)
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy On Us

red solo cup

At one point Galileo was offered a compromise. Heliocentrism could be held to and even discussed as long as it was referred to as an hypothesis. Being arrogant and
abrasive Galileo refused. He brought a lot of problems on himself.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernardus

On the topic of Galileo I can recommend this blog post: http://thonyc.wordpress.com/2014/05/29/galileo-the-church-and-heliocentricity-a-rough-guide/ The writer is not religious, but writes from a neutral point of view, which in a lot of cases does not favour the new atheist narrative.

voxxpopulisuxx

The point is that most atheist mention his case as some kind of injustice or wrong(evil)...from whence do they draw a distinction between good and evil...what happened to Galileo was legal...so why was it wrong...why is it wrong to deny a woman the right to abort...why is it wrong to stop queers from "marrying? " There is no empirical answer..they must retreat to a preexisting morality...one that all people can recognise...if there is no such thing as evil...then why do they bemoan religion?
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

SouthpawLink

Quote from: Recovering NOer on July 30, 2014, 08:03:27 AM
You guys seriously talk too much.  Anyway looks like KK is finally here to take out the trash.

While this thread's still alive, I'm curious, what's your favorite Mega Man game?  For me, it's 3 (for reasons of nostalgia) and X (for game play).
"Is there no exception to the rule forbidding the administration of the Sacraments to baptized non-Catholics who are in good faith? In the case of those who are in good health, the prohibition is absolute; no dispute on this point is possible in view of the repeated explicit declarations of the Holy Office" (Rev. S. Woywod, A Practical Commentary on the Code of Canon Law, vol. I, sec. 625, p. 322ff.).

Contrast the above with the 1983 CIC, Can. 844 §3 & 4: "Catholic ministers administer the sacraments of penance, Eucharist, and anointing of the sick licitly to members of Eastern Churches which do not have full communion with the Catholic Church. . . .  If the danger of death is present or if, in the judgment of the diocesan bishop or conference of bishops, some other grave necessity urges it, Catholic ministers administer these same sacraments licitly also to other Christians not having full communion with the Catholic Church." — The phrase "properly disposed" does not save the canon from error, because the context shows that no conversion is expected on the part of non-Catholics ("manifest Catholic faith in respect to these sacraments" is the sole requirement).

zork

I realize i wasn't the one being asked, but mine are Mega Man 2 and Mega Man 3. Still have all the old Nintendo Power issues too.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: SouthpawLink on August 05, 2014, 11:41:37 AM
You guys seriously talk too much.  Anyway looks like KK is finally here to take out the trash.

While this thread's still alive, I'm curious, what's your favorite Mega Man game?  For me, it's 3 (for reasons of nostalgia) and X (for game play).

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Recovering NOer

Quote from: SouthpawLink on August 05, 2014, 11:41:37 AMWhile this thread's still alive, I'm curious, what's your favorite Mega Man game?  For me, it's 3 (for reasons of nostalgia) and X (for game play).

I think it's a toss-up between 2 and 3 for me.  For some reason I also like 5 though, which it seems isn't too popular.  I've played all the original series and the X series only up to X6.  It was clear they had jumped the shark after that.

eta: For the Megaman X series, X3 is definitely the best.

Recovering NOer

Quote from: zork on August 05, 2014, 02:59:13 PMStill have all the old Nintendo Power issues too.

It's really amazing to think that magazine only stopped not even 2 years ago.  How it ever coexisted with the internet is beyond me.

SouthpawLink

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on August 05, 2014, 03:07:40 PM
Quote from: SouthpawLink on August 05, 2014, 11:41:37 AM

As for old gaming magazines, I do have a few, mostly those that covered The Legend of Zelda games.
"Is there no exception to the rule forbidding the administration of the Sacraments to baptized non-Catholics who are in good faith? In the case of those who are in good health, the prohibition is absolute; no dispute on this point is possible in view of the repeated explicit declarations of the Holy Office" (Rev. S. Woywod, A Practical Commentary on the Code of Canon Law, vol. I, sec. 625, p. 322ff.).

Contrast the above with the 1983 CIC, Can. 844 §3 & 4: "Catholic ministers administer the sacraments of penance, Eucharist, and anointing of the sick licitly to members of Eastern Churches which do not have full communion with the Catholic Church. . . .  If the danger of death is present or if, in the judgment of the diocesan bishop or conference of bishops, some other grave necessity urges it, Catholic ministers administer these same sacraments licitly also to other Christians not having full communion with the Catholic Church." — The phrase "properly disposed" does not save the canon from error, because the context shows that no conversion is expected on the part of non-Catholics ("manifest Catholic faith in respect to these sacraments" is the sole requirement).

Daniel

Quote from: Recovering NOer on August 05, 2014, 03:31:20 PM
Quote from: zork on August 05, 2014, 02:59:13 PMStill have all the old Nintendo Power issues too.

It's really amazing to think that magazine only stopped not even 2 years ago.  How it ever coexisted with the internet is beyond me.

Nintendo Power really started going downhill at around the time the GameCube was released.  I'm surprised it lasted for as long as it did...

(I'm personally not into Mega Man... I don't think I've ever even played any of the main series games.  But I did play a game from the Battle Network spinoff and that was pretty cool.)

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on August 05, 2014, 10:26:03 AM
The point is that most atheist mention his case as some kind of injustice or wrong(evil)...from whence do they draw a distinction between good and evil...what happened to Galileo was legal...so why was it wrong...why is it wrong to deny a woman the right to abort...why is it wrong to stop queers from "marrying? " There is no empirical answer..they must retreat to a preexisting morality...one that all people can recognise...if there is no such thing as evil...then why do they bemoan religion?
This is true except the morality that they believe in is subjective.  From my observation, what it almost always comes down to is the atheist's own emotions or incorrect opinion or disordered desires.  Something is wrong iff he doesn't like it.

zork

Quote from: Daniel on August 06, 2014, 11:01:44 AM

Nintendo Power really started going downhill at around the time the GameCube was released.  I'm surprised it lasted for as long as it did...

Nintendo Power was at its best during the late '80s-mid '90s, IMO. My collection runs from 1988 until I stopped collecting it in early 1994. But yeah, I'm really surprised it lasted into this decade.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

voxxpopulisuxx

(I'm personally not into Mega Man... I don't think I've ever even played any of the main series games.  But I did play a game from the Battle Network spinoff and that was pretty cool.)

This is true except the morality that they believe in is subjective.  From my observation, what it almost always comes down to is the atheist's own emotions or incorrect opinion or disordered desires.  Something is wrong iff he doesn't like it.
Thats true Dan...but thats where you press for victory...if they admit to it being merely a subjective opinion...then you have to ask why you are not allowed your own"subjective Opinion? There is no logical way out for them...the most common response by then becomes invectives and cursings and name calling.....then you win.

911!

red solo cup

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on August 06, 2014, 03:43:19 PM

Thats true Dan...but thats where you press for victory...if they admit to it being merely a subjective opinion...then you have to ask why you are not allowed your own"subjective Opinion? There is no logical way out for them...the most common response by then becomes invectives and cursings and name calling.....then you win.
Remind you of anyone?
non impediti ratione cogitationis