Stephen Hawking

Started by Geremia, March 13, 2018, 10:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

Requiescat in pace.
Retraction: It appears he died an atheist, so, like Aristotle, Dante would place him in...

Atheism/unbelief the greatest sin:
S.T. II-II q. 10 a. 3 c.
Quote from: St. Thomas Aquinasthe more a sin severs man from God, the graver it is. Now man is more than ever separated from God by unbelief, because he has not even true knowledge of God: and by false knowledge of God, man does not approach Him, but is severed from Him.

Nor is it possible for one who has a false opinion of God, to know Him in any way at all, because the object of his opinion is not God.* Therefore it is clear that the sin of unbelief is greater than any sin that occurs in the perversion of morals.
*thus Protestants do not know God

martin88nyc

Quote from: Geremia on March 13, 2018, 10:43:38 PM
Requiescat in pace.
The guy was an atheist. I hope he had a change of heart at the very end but otherwise how can we say RIP if he'd rejected God?
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

LausTibiChriste

I'm sick of this pandering to 'celebrities' when they die

An avowed atheist died. Whoop di f'ing doo.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

OCLittleFlower

He was also terribly RUDE about his atheism. 

I can understand sorrow when a non-Catholic celeb who, say, made good movies dies.  This guy called Heaven a "fairy story" rudely.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Chestertonian

He did a lot of work in the assistive technology community which I benefit from.. but his particular judgment maybe a shocker for him
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Gardener

There are no handicapped ramps to get out of the lake of fire. May we all be stunned by the mercy of God.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Matto

Perhaps he once gave a beggar an onion.
I Love Watching Butterflies . . ..

dymphna17

QuoteMay we all be stunned by the mercy of God.
This has to be my favorite line ever read on SD.  Prayers never go to waste, so even if we say one for Mr Hawking and it bounces off Hell's SDI shields, God will find someone to stick them to.  Like my Dad.  You can never go wrong sending a prayer.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

martin88nyc

Quote from: dymphna17 on March 14, 2018, 09:34:03 AM
This has to be my favorite line ever read on SD.  Prayers never go to waste, so even if we say one for Mr Hawking and it bounces off Hell's SDI shields, God will find someone to stick them to.  Like my Dad.  You can never go wrong sending a prayer.
Yes there are instances where God intervenes and saves a soul from Hell. St.Padre Pio or St. Vianney relayed a story about a guy who wanted to commit a suicide by jumping into a river. He did but God saved him before he drowned. He was given a chance to repent in that brief moment before he hit the water.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Geremia

Hawkwing collected an excellent anthology entitled God Created the Integers of mathematical papers prefaced by short biographies of the mathematicians, and he discussed some of the mathematicians' Catholicism. Has he anywhere directly disparaged Catholicism?

"Hawking" and Mlodinow's atheist book The Grand Design might have been written entirely by Mlodinow, a Jewish atheist, and the publisher just slapped "Hawking" on it for publicity.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: dymphna17 on March 14, 2018, 09:34:03 AM

:lol:  That phrasing, oh my.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Greg

If he is in Heaven, I hope he doesn't still have that bloody annoying computer generated voice.

If he is in Hell, then the screams coming from it are going to sound like an Al-Qaeda discotheque.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Aquila

There is nothing wrong with praying for any of the dead, even if there doesn't appear to be any hope of final penitence.

I'm reminded of a story about St. John Vianney. A woman came to him, very distraught. Her husband had jumped off a bridge and committed suicide. St. John told the woman he would still pray for him. Later, he told the woman that her husband had appeared to him in a dream, and told him that he was in purgatory and desperately needed prayers to get out; between jumping off the bridge and hitting the water below, he had made an act of contrition and his soul had been saved.

The bottom line is that only God knows the state of a person's soul at their final moments, and only He is allowed to determine their final destination. Hawking was, of course, an atheist, yet even so we should pray for him. In fact, given that he was born Anglican and their baptisms are valid, he was a member of the Church, which should make someone want to pray more for him (and others like him) since the punishments in hell for members of the True Faith are greater than for those who were never baptized (all other things being equal).
Extra SSPX Nulla Salus.
Dogmatic Sedeplenist.

martin88nyc

Aquila I mentioned this story in my previous post but wasn't sure whether it was St. Pade Pio's or St. Vianney's. In any case this only shows us that that God's love for us is inexhaustible.