Billy Graham died today

Started by Innocent Smith, February 21, 2018, 11:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Innocent Smith

Reading the blurb on Drudge only, since I rarely read more, it says "485 missions in 127 countries". Something like that.

So here's the question. Were these missionary activities partly, or even overtly responsible, for the hyper traveling done by popes beginning in the '60s?

I think it is.
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

clau clau

I found this article interesting.

http://time.com/money/5168865/billy-graham-net-worth-quotes-money-greed/

I found the following quite profound.

Yet money is not necessarily a bad thing, according to Graham. "Money represents your time, your energy, your talents, your total personality converted into currency," Graham once wrote. "We usually hold on to it tenaciously, yet it is uncertain in value and we cannot take it into the next world."

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

GloriaPatri

I honestly don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand Billy Graham and his ministry stood strong on a lot of ethical issues. On the other hand, he's a Prot.

Gardener

Quote from: GloriaPatri on February 22, 2018, 02:52:45 PM
I honestly don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand Billy Graham and his ministry stood strong on a lot of ethical issues. On the other hand, he's a Prot.

They did when it was fashionable. Towards the end, they entered into the same problems as the Methodists, Southern Baptists, etc.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

GloriaPatri

Quote from: Gardener on February 22, 2018, 03:46:11 PM

They did when it was fashionable. Towards the end, they entered into the same problems as the Methodists, Southern Baptists, etc.

I didn't know that. Thank you for letting me know Gardener.

Gardener

Quote from: GloriaPatri on February 22, 2018, 04:36:08 PM
Quote from: Gardener on February 22, 2018, 03:46:11 PM

I didn't know that. Thank you for letting me know Gardener.

Like the Methodists, Baptists, etc., he didn't "like" abortion, but his official position was in line with theirs: rape, incest, etc.:

http://prolifeprofiles.com/billy-graham-on-abortion
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

The Curt Jester

He was once referred to me (by a relative) as the protestant pope.   I think that same relative would be chagrined to know that Billy Graham was okay with abortion in certain instances.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Antoninus

Billy Graham was the typical generic Protestant. He didn't seem to take a strong stand on anything and appealed more to the emotions of people. Joel Osteen is the 21st century Billy Graham, but with hardly Amy Christian content to his message.

Inquisitor

Quote from: Innocent Smith on February 21, 2018, 11:07:12 PM
Reading the blurb on Drudge only, since I rarely read more, it says "485 missions in 127 countries". Something like that.

So here's the question. Were these missionary activities partly, or even overtly responsible, for the hyper traveling done by popes beginning in the '60s?

I think it is.

It reveals a clear attachment to this world. So simply it is irrelevant.