Bible study for families?

Started by coffeeandcigarette, September 15, 2020, 11:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coffeeandcigarette

Hello,

I am very eager to start a serious Bible study with my older children. I am wary of the Scott Hahn/Jeff Cavins stuff, even though his DR marking system is fantastic; but I am open to solid arguments in their favor. I am hoping for something much more traditional however. Any good suggestions?

Daniel

I am not familiar with the Scott Hahn/Jeff Cavins bible studies.

For the New Testament, how about read through Thomas Aquinas's Catena Aurea or Cornelius a Lapide's Great Commentary? They're based heavily in the Fathers. I've never used the Catena Aurea so I can't really comment on it in particular. But as for a Lapide, it's pretty nice. He splits each verse into its various interpretations (literal, analogical, anagogical, moral) and he then paraphrases (sometimes quotes) the differing opinions of various commentators, and he gives his own opinion on what's probable. The one thing I'm not so sure about is whether the paraphrases (or even the quotes) are always entirely faithful to the commentators that he cites. (e.g. I have noticed that some of the passages that he cites from Augustine sound more like a later Thomistic re-interpretation of Augustine rather than what Augustine actually had in mind.)

For the Old Testament, I don't know. A Lapide's Commentary actually covers the entire Old Testament, but none of the Old Testament stuff is available in English except for the first three chapters of Genesis (which can be purchased from the Kolbe Center, here).