Ecumenism in the Archdiocese of Glasgow

Started by Lyubov, December 27, 2012, 12:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyubov

Quote"Both at a universal level and at a diocesan level, the Catholic Church regards Ecumenism as integral to its work and life.  In practical terms, whenever we plan for the future, this means asking the Ecumenical question: ?What are the implications of this for ecumenism??"

"As Catholics, in our work at the parish, deanery and archdiocesan levels, we should all be asking what might we be able to do together with our neighbouring churches.  Ecumenism means ?Doing what we can do ? together?."

http://www.rcag.org.uk/pastoral_ecumemism.htm

??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

poche

Mithrandylan

Quote from: poche on December 27, 2012, 12:19:45 AM
Can anyone say "Anglican Ordinariate?"
:) :) :)

Unless I missed something in the article, this has nothing to do with the Anglican Ordinariate.
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

tmw89

Quote from: Mithrandylan on December 27, 2012, 12:31:40 AM
Quote from: poche on December 27, 2012, 12:19:45 AM

Unless I missed something in the article, this has nothing to do with the Anglican Ordinariate.

Yes... what exactly were you getting at, Poche?
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Mithrandylan

I must admit, I didn't understand what the article was saying in terms of what this event actually was.  I gather that it was vespers in a Cathedral?  Who was hosting?  The article gives the impression that it was a non-Catholic group hosting, and invited the archbishop to join.

What a mess, either way.
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Lyubov

The Church of Scotland was hosting.  I became aware of this after reading this article:

Quote"Modern music is doing much to inspire young people at church"

Archbishop Mario Conti cautioned against priests indulging their own personal preferences in liturgical matters, especially in regard to the Latin mass: "I venture to suggest that there is no call for it, or pastoral reason to change what has become the settled practice of the Archdiocese, which I read as contentment and indeed appreciation of the pastoral advantages of mass in the vernacular, and in a form which is less mysterious than at least some aspects of what my generation can recall of the 'old' mass."

Last month, I was at an ecumenical service in Glasgow Cathedral to witness a cantata to celebrate the 14th centenary of the founding of Glasgow by St Mungo.

Young people from Glasgow University and pupils from more than 20 primary schools, Catholic and non-denominational, participated enthusiastically in this event organised by Glasgow Churches Together. It was uplifting and I am certain it will have encouraged many of them to repeat the experience and participate more fully in the liturgy in their own parish churches, where the music at the moment is far from "lousy".

Like your reporter, Cate Devine, I did Latin at school. The spectacle and solemnity of the Latin mass is something to remember, revere and respect, but it should be kept for high days and exceptionally holy days, not celebrated routinely in parish churches where few of the faithful would understand what is going on.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/letters/modern-music-is-doing-much-to-inspire-young-people-at-church.19561403
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

tmw89

Quote from: Lyubov on December 27, 2012, 12:42:33 AM
The Church of Scotland was hosting.  I became aware of this after reading this article:

Quote"Modern music is doing much to inspire young people at church"

The bolded only makes Bonaventure's latest post here all the funnier!

Quote from: Lyubov on December 27, 2012, 12:42:33 AM
Archbishop Mario Conti cautioned against priests indulging their own personal preferences in liturgical matters, especially in regard to the Latin mass: "I venture to suggest that there is no call for it, or pastoral reason to change what has become the settled practice of the Archdiocese, which I read as contentment and indeed appreciation of the pastoral advantages of mass in the vernacular, and in a form which is less mysterious than at least some aspects of what my generation can recall of the 'old' mass."

[ . . . ]

Like your reporter, Cate Devine, I did Latin at school. The spectacle and solemnity of the Latin mass is something to remember, revere and respect, but it should be kept for high days and exceptionally holy days, not celebrated routinely in parish churches where few of the faithful would understand what is going on.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/letters/modern-music-is-doing-much-to-inspire-young-people-at-church.19561403

Really makes you want to read up all over again on why God permits evil in the world, ya know?
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Penelope

What I want to know is what the hell is on that cross in the image in the OP.

tmw89

Quote from: Penelope on December 27, 2012, 01:41:51 AM

I'm going to guess... artistic rendering of the four elements of Earth, Wind, Fire, Water.

Or some such to make it seem new age-y.

---

Penelope

Quote from: tmw89 on December 27, 2012, 01:44:26 AM

I'm going to guess... artistic rendering of the four elements of Earth, Wind, Fire, Water.

Please excuse me while I quietly go off and vomit.

Lyubov

I didn't think of that. I thought I saw a fish, a loaf of bread, and maybe some sort of bell?
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

tmw89

Quote from: Penelope on December 27, 2012, 01:54:29 AM

Please excuse me while I quietly go off and vomit.

See, if this thread were in another forum-site, somebody would come in and tell all of us how we can take that as a good thing - how it shows Christ's Lordship over the elements, and we should always try to interpret this crap in the best possible way, etc. etc.

But here, just vomit all around!

Quote from: Lyubov on December 27, 2012, 01:57:49 AM

I didn't think of that. I thought I saw a fish, a loaf of bread, and maybe some sort of bell?

Upon closer inspection, you are right - I see shapes.  But I see a fish, a bird, a leaf, and a nacho (or maybe a Bugle's?) chip...

---

poche

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes... what exactly were you getting at, Poche?
[/quote]
The best use of "ecumenism" results in conversion such as the Anglican Ordinariate.

poche

They were celebrating the 14th centenary of the founding of Galsgo by St Mungo. Maybe they should take a deeper look at the religous beliefs of their founder and see what they could learn from them and what it was that inspired him to found their city.