Nazi bishops

Started by Geremia, May 08, 2024, 01:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

Who were the Nazi bishops shown at 00:23 and 00:32 in the video below?

Geremia

DevSolar on History StackExchange:
Quote from: DevSolarThe picture on top I found at the Holocaust Encyclopedia.
The man to the left is Albanus Schachleiter, a Benedictine who got comfortable with Hitler pretty early, and was actually suspended for that.
The man to the right is Ludwig Müller, a Lutheran and leading member of the German Christians, a movement that "aligned towards the antisemitic, racist, and Führerprinzip ideological principles of Nazism with the goal to align German Protestantism as a whole towards those principles."
The picture on the bottom I found on Traces of Evil.
The man at the left border is Franz Rudolf Bornewasser, Roman Catholic bishop of Trier.
The man to the right of him is Ludwig Sebastian, Roman Catholic bishop of Speyer.
Both of these are said to have remained carefully critical of the Nazi regime.

KreKre

So the thread title "Nazi bishops" is incorrect. None of these bishops were Nazis. There was one abbot who supported Hitler and he got suspended.
Quote from: Geremia on May 13, 2024, 03:04:30 PMThe man to the right is Ludwig Müller, a Lutheran
On the other hand, there was a Lutheran aligned with the Nazis. Why am I not surprised?
Christus vincit! Christus regnat! Christus imperat!

Bonaventure

I know of a supposedly Nazi Old Catholic bishop - Erwin Kruezer of Bonn, Germany.

A big wig in the North American Old Roman Catholic Church, the ex Franciscan Carmel Henry Carfora, actually disavowed one of his underlings, Albert Dunstan Bell, as Bell received consecration from Kreuzer and was also accused of being a NSDAP sympathizer.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

KreKre

I could be mistaken, but the so-called "Old Catholic Church" seems to be a Protestant sect. Their liturgy, at least where I live, is more similar to the NO than to the TLM.
Christus vincit! Christus regnat! Christus imperat!

Bonaventure

Quote from: KreKre on May 13, 2024, 03:17:03 PMI could be mistaken, but the so-called "Old Catholic Church" seems to be a Protestant sect. Their liturgy, at least where I live, is more similar to the NO than to the TLM.

It depends.

Some have traditional liturgies and are anti V2 (Jerome Lloyd, Edward Ford).

Others are as Novus Ordo as it gets
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."