What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Acolyte

Quote from: Jacafamala on October 15, 2022, 09:54:56 AM
I have a bunch of things going...

The Ways of Mental Prayer by Vitalis Lehodey O.C.R.

St. Teresa of Avila, The Interior Castle

The Naked Communist, by L. Cleon Skousen (Audible)

The Bible in a year.

That Lehodey is a good one !  I may read Interior Castle after I finish Lehodey's
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Kaesekopf

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on October 17, 2022, 06:55:19 AM
Dune

I just finished Dune a week or so ago!

What do you think of it?  I had never read it before, and really enjoyed it. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

BlueInGreen

Audio book of Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.

I'll then transition to Dietrich von Hildebrand's In Defense of Purity immediately. I hope to finish both by the end of October. For the month of November, St. Augustine's Confessions is waiting alongside Brenda Maddox's Rosalind Franklin: The Dark of Lady of DNA. 
Cradle Catholic traversing modernism while rediscovering my heritage - in faith and ethnically.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Kaesekopf on October 17, 2022, 09:36:16 PM
Dune

That was what prompted me to start it.  It's been on my "list" for a long long time. Good so far.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

red solo cup

Quote from: BlueInGreen on October 18, 2022, 12:19:31 AM

I'll then transition to Dietrich von Hildebrand's In Defense of Purity immediately. I hope to finish both by the end of October. For the month of November, St. Augustine's Confessions is waiting alongside Brenda Maddox's Rosalind Franklin: The Dark of Lady of DNA.
I like Larson. Dead Wake, Garden of the Beasts and Thunderstruck are all very good.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Kaesekopf

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on October 18, 2022, 06:54:47 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on October 17, 2022, 09:36:16 PM
Dune

That was what prompted me to start it.  It's been on my "list" for a long long time. Good so far.
Oh, that's awesome.   I briefly scrolled to see if I mentioned it, I thought I didnt , then saw that I did. [emoji38].  I hope you enjoy it!  I don't really know what I expected from it, because I didn't know much about it, just that I kept running into it for whatever reason.  But yeah, I didn't find it a waste, I generally enjoyed the whole thing.  The main character was fun to watch develop from where he was to where he went. 

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Kaesekopf

Quote from: BlueInGreen on October 18, 2022, 12:19:31 AM

Read Devil in the White City ages ago, but I really liked it.  Drew me to pick up the Nazi Germany book, but I haven't read that one yet. 

Bonaventure

Little Sister, by Patricia Walsh Chadwick
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Kaesekopf

I picked up "Starship Troopers" for $1 at a nearby library sale Friday.  About 160 pages into it.  Interesting book.  I'm not good at reviewing literature.  It has a nice way of telling the story.  Both matter-of-fact, but also somewhat personal. 

red solo cup

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
In high school English class, 1968, they gave us a choice. Gatsby, Return of the Native or Lord Jim. I chose Native. Been carrying around my sisters copy of Gatsby for 54 years and finally got around to reading it. A very good read but not what I would call great literature. All the main characters were shallow, selfish and ignorant. The only people with any decency or morality were bit players with no face or name.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

The Story of a Soul, translated by John Clarke. It's my favorite translation, because it has more material than the others.
My Lord and my God.

Christina_S

Just finished Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of An American Family by Robert Kolker. A fascinating look at a Catholic family of 12 kids in which 6 of the 10 boys had some form of schizophrenia.
Now on to Videocracy: How YouTube Is Changing the World . . . with Double Rainbows, Singing Foxes, and Other Trends We Can't Stop Watching by Kevin Alloca.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Michael Wilson

Quote from: red solo cup on October 25, 2022, 04:48:12 AM
In high school English class, 1968, they gave us a choice. Gatsby, Return of the Native or Lord Jim. I chose Native. Been carrying around my sisters copy of Gatsby for 54 years and finally got around to reading it. A very good read but not what I would call great literature. All the main characters were shallow, selfish and ignorant. The only people with any decency or morality were bit players with no face or name.
I couldn't find any people with decency or morality in the book: Nick, Gatsby, Daisy, Tom, Tom's girlfriend, her husband, the gambler, daisy's friend (the cheater). Who else? Mr. Fitzgerald's "hero" presumably is Nick; he is just as shallow as the people that he admires or criticizes; Gatsby is a crook who supposedly loves Daisy. Why does anybody love Daisy? Much less two people? I didn't like the story at all, and why Fitzgerald is considered a "great" writer is beyond me; maybe he wrote other stories?
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Michael Wilson on October 30, 2022, 09:56:24 AM
Quote from: red solo cup on October 25, 2022, 04:48:12 AM
I couldn't find any people with decency or morality in the book: Nick, Gatsby, Daisy, Tom, Tom's girlfriend, her husband, the gambler, daisy's friend (the cheater). Who else? Mr. Fitzgerald's "hero" presumably is Nick; he is just as shallow as the people that he admires or criticizes; Gatsby is a crook who supposedly loves Daisy. Why does anybody love Daisy? Much less two people? I didn't like the story at all, and why Fitzgerald is considered a "great" writer is beyond me; maybe he wrote other stories?

Fitzgerald and Hemingway are both overrated authors in my opinion.  Which along with a $10 bill will get you a cup of coffee   :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: