What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

I'm re-reading The Hobbit, having last read it before the LOTR movies came out.  The book even had the old Borders bookstore receipt inside... :lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 18, 2022, 10:44:18 AM
I'm re-reading The Hobbit, having last read it before the LOTR movies came out.  The book even had the old Borders bookstore receipt inside...

I bought the Hobbit today, twice. One is a nice edition to match my Lord of the Rings. The other is in Latin.

In foramine terrae  habitabat hobbitus.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Pæniteo on February 18, 2022, 01:14:12 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 18, 2022, 10:44:18 AM
I'm re-reading The Hobbit, having last read it before the LOTR movies came out.  The book even had the old Borders bookstore receipt inside...

I bought the Hobbit today, twice. One is a nice edition to match my Lord of the Rings. The other is in Latin.

In foramine terrae  habitabat hobbitus.

:O

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

TerrorDæmonum

Bernadette

The Wonderful Garden, by E. Nesbit. One of my favorites, other than the Mouldiwarp Adventures. :)
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

Ben Hur. It's been long enough since I read it that it's like reading it for the first time.
My Lord and my God.

Prayerful

Talaat Pasha, Father of Modern Turkey, Architect of Genocide by Hans-Lucas Kieser. This man started as a postman in Thessalonica, and only scorn for men of religion in private, but was able to make himself the de-facto leader of what was still a vast theocracy. This was a man who sent onetime Armenian friends to their death. A fascinating angle is how Zionists ignored or even downplayed the genocide of the Armenians, with their eyes of the prize of a Jewish homeland which was expected to be under the suzerainty of the Sublime Porte. It might be noted that the US ambassador, himself Jewish, Henry Morganthau, clearly chronicled the genocide, and wrote in detail about it afterwards in his memoirs (which by modern standards seem a bit racist, with characterisations of the character of the 'Turk' as emotional and prone to sway between laughter and rage. The tyrannicide who shoot Talaat Pasha, by then in exile in Germany in fear of legal measures and worse, was cleared as his act was ruled justified (which was legally dubious). Liberal Germany took the part of the Armenians while conservative Germans were very much on the Turkish or Ottoman side. Kemal Ataturk owed a lot to his fund raising abilities, but was happy enough he remained in exile.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Bernadette

A Tale of Two Cities. I don't love this work as much as Dickens's other works.
My Lord and my God.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Bernadette on March 02, 2022, 05:23:29 PM
A Tale of Two Cities. I don't love this work as much as Dickens's other works.

What were the best of his works, what were the worst of his works?

red solo cup

The Howling Arctic. The Remarkable People who made Canada Sovereign in the Farthest North by Ray Price. Definitely not a book for the woke crowd. Published in 1970, the author states among other things that eskimos are like children and that blacks are psychologically suited for slavery. Much of the material was drawn from the Oblate Fathers of the Hudson Bay Vicariate.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

The Little Princesses, by Marion Crawford.
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

The Ultimate Pipe Book by Richard Carleton Hacker.

It's pretty good.

Bernadette

Lulu's Christmas Story, by Ludmilla Bollow. One of my favorites.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

The Book Thief. The narrator is excellent.
My Lord and my God.

Tennessean