What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Raised by the Church: Growing up in New York City's Catholic Orphanages, by Edward Rohs. $2.99 on kindle. I hope it portrays the Church positively.
My Lord and my God.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Bernadette on May 18, 2020, 05:36:50 PM

Raised by the Church: Growing up in New York City's Catholic Orphanages, by Edward Rohs. $2.99 on kindle. I hope it portrays the Church positively.
Let us know, once you read it.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Bernadette

I'm listening to Herman Wouk's Winds of War. Figured I'd get the most bang for my audible credit. ;)
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

The Divided Ground: Indians, Settlers, and the Northern Borderland of the American Revolution by Alan Taylor
non impediti ratione cogitationis

rosenley

1. Liberty, the God That Failed: Policing the Sacred and Constructing the Myths of the Secular State, from Locke to Obama by Christopher A. Ferrara

2. Nothing to Vote for: The Futility of the American Electoral Process by Daniel Schwindt

3. The Jewish Revolutionary Spirit: And Its Impact on World History by E. Michael Jones
"And I live, now not I; but Christ liveth in me. And that I live now in the flesh: I live in the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

"Give them according to their works, and according to the wickedness of their inventions. According to the works of their hands give thou to them: render to them their reward." (Psalm 27:4)

"A man has free choice to the extent that he is rational."
"It is proper for man to be inclined to act according to reason."
"Human salvation demands the divine disclosure of truths surpassing reason."
"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." - St. Thomas Aquinas

Jacob

The Far Side of the World by O'Brian.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

LausTibiChriste

The Hobbit - Never actually read it in full, nor have I read LOTR, and that will change.

Smarter - Dan Hurley

Aquinas - Ed Feser
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

rosenley

Quote from: rosenley on June 04, 2020, 04:25:51 PM
1. Liberty, the God That Failed: Policing the Sacred and Constructing the Myths of the Secular State, from Locke to Obama by Christopher A. Ferrara

2. Nothing to Vote for: The Futility of the American Electoral Process by Daniel Schwindt

3. The Jewish Revolutionary Spirit: And Its Impact on World History by E. Michael Jones

I just finished Daniel Schwindt's book today. I have now started Being Consumed: Economics and Christian Desire by William T. Cavanaugh.
"And I live, now not I; but Christ liveth in me. And that I live now in the flesh: I live in the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

"Give them according to their works, and according to the wickedness of their inventions. According to the works of their hands give thou to them: render to them their reward." (Psalm 27:4)

"A man has free choice to the extent that he is rational."
"It is proper for man to be inclined to act according to reason."
"Human salvation demands the divine disclosure of truths surpassing reason."
"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." - St. Thomas Aquinas

Bernadette

All the Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr and Harding's Luck, by Edith Nesbit.
My Lord and my God.

Jacob

"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bernadette

Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett.
My Lord and my God.

clau clau

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Lynne

I'm re-reading While the Eyes of the Great are Elsewhere.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

red solo cup

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford.
non impediti ratione cogitationis