What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prayerful

This topic seems not to appear at times.

Jefferson Davis: The Man and His Hour, William C. Davis.

A balance and utterly detailed account of the Confederate President, which shows both his nobility of character but also extraordinary flaws. Obsessive to getting the last word in any argument, favouring friendship over ability among Generals, yet tried extraordinarily hard to lead states and politicians who disdained his ceaseless efforts at leadership, and, following his brother Joseph, applied the humane policies of Robert Owen to his own slaves, dismissing any foremen who flogged them, and making sure they could be educated.

Did Muhammed exist?, Robert Spencer

In spite of the title, this polemicist again Islam is more focused the Quran shows more than a trace of an Arian or anti-Trinitarian Syriac text. I find this intriguing.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Hannelore

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith, One of my favorites when I was 16. Let's see if it's aged well. ;)
My Lord and my God.

Daniel

I'm reading through the Narnia books for the first time, and am on Prince Caspian now.

Hannelore

Prince Caspian was always my favorite. :)
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on March 13, 2020, 08:09:55 AM
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith, One of my favorites when I was 16. Let's see if it's aged well. ;)

I love that book
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Philip G.

I am reading "it happened in old santa Barbara".  It contains short stories/events from the towns history.   

I am also reading treasure mountain by louis lamour. 
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Hannelore

A Painted House, by John Grisham.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Evelyn Waugh: A Biography by Christopher Sykes
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Habitual_Ritual

My copy of E Michael Jones' Logos rising just shipped. Should be a good 'un. Discussed here:

" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Hannelore

Looking forward to reading The Lord of the Rings. I just bought the hardcover set on Amazon: they have it on sale right now.
My Lord and my God.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Bernadette on May 15, 2020, 03:54:57 PM
Looking forward to reading The Lord of the Rings. I just bought the hardcover set on Amazon: they have it on sale right now.

I'm listening to that on audible right now when I fold laundry.  I rotate between that and a few other things each day

Hannelore

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on May 15, 2020, 07:29:10 PM
Quote from: Bernadette on May 15, 2020, 03:54:57 PM

I'm listening to that on audible right now when I fold laundry.  I rotate between that and a few other things each day

I have it on audible, too. :)
My Lord and my God.

Jacob

Rereading Master and Commander by O'Brian right now.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Michael Wilson

St. Pius X, By Ives Chiron. This is the second biography that I have read from the same author, the other being, Pius IX; both of them very well done, well written and researched. Covered all the most important aspects of St. Pius' life, including a lot of information from his earlier youth, seminary years and his first parish assignments. The fight against Modernism; the struggle against the French governments confiscation of Catholic property; the sanctification of the priests through assuring of good doctrinal and moral formation in the seminaries; the promotion of frequent even daily Communion among the faithful and early first Communion; frequent and regular catechetical instruction by the parish clergy;  etc.
Very good book. 
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers