What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clare

Still reading Karamazov, and for Lent I'm revisiting Life of Christ by Archbishop Sheen.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Bernadette

Quote from: Clare on March 08, 2017, 05:19:25 AM
Still reading Karamazov, and for Lent I'm revisiting Life of Christ by Archbishop Sheen.

*shudder* I found The Brothers Karamazov to be absolutely repulsive, when I read it. But I adore Sheen's Life of Christ, and have recommended it more than once.  :thumbsup:
My Lord and my God.

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: Bernadette on March 08, 2017, 05:38:16 AM

*shudder* I found The Brothers Karamazov to be absolutely repulsive, when I read it.

Why?  In what way?

(I've only read the first chapter or so, keep meaning to pick it back up and finish it.)

Bernadette

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on March 08, 2017, 09:29:51 AM

*shudder* I found The Brothers Karamazov to be absolutely repulsive, when I read it.

Why?  In what way?

(I've only read the first chapter or so, keep meaning to pick it back up and finish it.)

I just remember there being so much depravity and misery in there. Ick. Though I think I have a low tolerance for Russian classics, in general. YMMV.
My Lord and my God.

Clare

Quote from: Bernadette on March 08, 2017, 09:37:04 AM
Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on March 08, 2017, 09:29:51 AM

Why?  In what way?

I just remember there being so much depravity and misery in there. Ick.
I'm just over a third of the way through, and I'm liking it so far.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

martin88nyc

The Passion of our Lord by Mary of Agreda
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Prayerful

Eamon Duffy, Reformation Divided. Starts with essays on St Thomas More. The Saint was very much a hammer of heretics judicially as well as in copious writing. Later he'll deal with Hillary Mantel's vapourings which have the corrupt Thomas Cromwell as hero and More as villain. It is some irony that Cromwell managed to be beheaded for heresy (actually treason but suspected Anabaptism was a major charge). Mantel's cucked father (altho I doubt Prof Duffy covered that point) is a big reason why she hereticated.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Bernadette

I just love St. Thomas More. So strong. So determined. So absolutely selfless. :thumbsup: And so approachable, thanks to his writings (and the talents of Paul Scofield  :lol:)
My Lord and my God.

PerEvangelicaDicta

I like the sound of that book, Prayerful.

QuoteLater he'll deal with Hillary Mantel's vapourings which have the corrupt Thomas Cromwell as hero and More as villain.
Not unlike Wolf Hall. The retelling of our history is carried out on every front.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Prayerful

Thanks PerEvangelicaDicta and Bernadette

Anti-Catholic revisionist claims always gets a hearing in England no matter how many times they have been refuted.

I'm still reading Prof Duffy's book, now finished a chapter on the extraordinary William Cardinal Allen, but I got and have read a little of In Sinu Jesu: When Heart Speaks to Heart, the journal of a priest at prayer by Benedictine monk. One purpose of the book is to raise money for Silverstream Priory, just recently canonically erected with the approval of the Ecceslesia Dei Commission and the Pope. Aside from their life as Benedictines, online efforts like Vultus Christi and a superb shop (consider the other full sized Church bookshop in or around Dublin is Veritas (who seem to make a point of ignoring the Mass of Ages and have staff of really doubtful orthodoxy) which has books of the sodomite monk Fr Timothy Radcliffe OP on prominent display and is really over priced), they offer daily the Mass of Ages, open to the public, and crucially they offer lodgings for priests seeking rest and young men discerning a vocation with them.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Bernadette

I've just found E. Nesbit's Beautiful Stories From Shakespeare

https://librivox.org/beautiful-stories-from-shakespeare-by-edith-nesbit/

which I'll save until after Easter as a sort of "treat" for myself. :) I love E. Nesbit: she's one of the few people whom I would trust with Shakespeare's stories.  :thumbsup:
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

The Magic City, by E. Nesbit (which I read years ago, but can't remember very well). I love how completely she enters into the minds of her child protagonists, and thus relates to her child-readers (and to her adult readers who remember what it was like to be children). :)

Awww! Philip's such a noble little soul, and Lucy's so practical and just. :)

Nobody does children's lit like the British!  ;D
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

The Farm by Lough Gur by Mary Carbery.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

Quote from: red solo cup on March 19, 2017, 02:18:58 PM
The Farm by Lough Gur by Mary Carbery.
Oh, Red, a book after my own heart. This one's going on the list!  :)
My Lord and my God.

Jacob

I received two of the Calvin and Hobbes treasury books for Christmas.  Just finished one tonight and will start on the second tomorrow probably.

In one of the weekly story arcs, Calvin and Hobbes flew to Mars in Calvin's wagon. :)
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson