What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Older Salt

No idea why there is lines through the above post.
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Older Salt on July 07, 2014, 04:12:40 PM

I'm not sure why, either.  However, I quoted the post and noticed that there's a lower-case s in brackets before the lines start (after "person," and before "of Prots").  Maybe the bracketed S is code for a strike-through font.

Old Salt: try modifying the post and remove that S-in-brackets.  I think it'll work.  Here's my quote of it with the S removed.

Quote from: Older Salt on July 07, 2014, 04:06:02 PM
I think F O'connor is brilliant.

She very blatantly mocks fallen nature primarily in the person of Prots.

I know a very old priest from Georgia that knew her in the late 50's, and he has told me this about her.

They could find the truth through actual grace and natural law, but O'Connor makes it perfectly plain that many southern prots refuse to act like civil humans and in fact live like sub animals.

She was laughing all the while she wrote.

I see this same mindset [or lack of] living in the rural American south.

FOC is simply brilliant.

Mono no aware

JubilateDeo

Older Salt

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 07, 2014, 06:23:13 PM
Quote from: Older Salt on July 07, 2014, 04:12:40 PM

I'm not sure why, either.  However, I quoted the post and noticed that there's a lower-case s in brackets before the lines start (after "person," and before "of Prots").  Maybe the bracketed S is code for a strike-through font.

Old Salt: try modifying the post and remove that S-in-brackets.  I think it'll work.  Here's my quote of it with the S removed.

She very blatantly mocks fallen nature primarily in the person of Prots.

I know a very old priest from Georgia that knew her in the late 50's, and he has told me this about her.

They could find the truth through actual grace and natural law, but O'Connor makes it perfectly plain that many southern prots refuse to act like civil humans and in fact live like sub animals.

FOC is simply brilliant.
It worked Pon!

You are a true gentleman FOC would find nothing to write about.

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Jacob

She very blatantly mocks fallen nature primarily in the person or persons of Prots.

FOC is simply brilliant.

I think you just showed very well why so many don't get FOC.  You have described her work as a massive in-joke no one familiar with Southern prots are likely to get.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Pheo

Just finished this one:

I enjoyed it, although I'm not sure I understand the huge majority of rave reviews.  I think it was kept on the short side to maintain a certain level of tension, and the author did that well.  It's basically Cast Away on Mars, although admittedlty that's a bit of a guess since I've never seen Cast Away...can't stand Tom Hanks.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

piabee

Jacob

I started Treason's Harbour by Patrick O'Brian the other day.  Jack and Stephen are in Malta enjoying the Mediterranean sun.

Quote from: Pheo on July 10, 2014, 03:21:22 PM
Just finished this one: [The Martian]

I enjoyed it, although I'm not sure I understand the huge majority of rave reviews.  I think it was kept on the short side to maintain a certain level of tension, and the author did that well.  It's basically Cast Away on Mars, although admittedlty that's a bit of a guess since I've never seen Cast Away...can't stand Tom Hanks.

My brother got this book this spring and I skimmed through it (skipped a lot of the science).  I enjoyed most the stuff back on Earth.  The book did go pretty fast and that was a bit disappointing.  I was hoping for an actual extended stay on Mars with it all being gamed out, a real look at humans surviving on Mars indefinitely.  But it was still a cool book and I think deserves the praise it received.  It certainly is Hard Sci-fi and that's always worth reading.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Older Salt

Just finished "The River" by Flannery O'Connor.

Wow!
Can she write!

About a five year old prot boy who's parent's are always drunk.

A neighbor lady takes him to a revival "healing" service down in the river, and the preacher man actually baptizes him.

And says to him  [truthfully], "Now you count".

The 5 year old loves being baptized and in a almost infant way wants to see the Kingdom of Christ and thinks jumping into the current of the river will bring him there.

It is implied that he drowns doing this, but goes straight to Heaven.

Amazing story.

Flannery scorns and laughs at the hee- haw parents and takes the child somewhere else.

zork

She was a superb writer. I finished her 1955 short story collection a couple months ago, but had to pace myself because her career was all too brief. Don't want to burn through her whole canon too quickly.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Bernadette

The Uncommercial Traveller, by Dickens. Thoroughly enjoyable- I particularly enjoyed "Captain Murderer."  :lol:
My Lord and my God.

LouisIX

Flannery has some fantastic short stories, but one always has to be careful with her.  She was a great fan of Tielhard de Chardin.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Revixit

Quote from: LouisIX on July 11, 2014, 02:36:53 PM
Flannery has some fantastic short stories, but one always has to be careful with her.  She was a great fan of Tielhard de Chardin.

We're supposed to judge whether short stories are good based on the author's reading of certain theologians? 
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy On Us

Akavit