Will U.S. states secede over abortion?

Started by Geremia, February 09, 2019, 04:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

Matto

I Love Watching Butterflies . . ..

Geremia

Quote from: Matto on February 09, 2019, 04:53:50 PMWhy bother when all those babies go straight to heaven because they are martyrs.
Not all are.

Non Nobis

Quote from: Geremia on February 09, 2019, 05:24:36 PM
Quote from: Matto on February 09, 2019, 04:53:50 PMWhy bother when all those babies go straight to heaven because they are martyrs.
Not all are.

The point is that many Catholics THINK they are, and so might be less likely to worry about their death.
---
I think that even if many people (just how many?) are against abortion (in an opinion poll or election) they would not fight it so far as go to through the trouble of trying to secede.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

GloriaPatri

Given that the states of the Union do not have the constitutional right to secede, would not be recognized by any major world power, nor have the military forces to resist retaliation from the federal government, I'm going to say no. Even states that are majority opposed to abortion still have urban regions that trend more liberal. Attempting to secede would likely introduce civil unrest within a state on a very large scale. You'd have pro-Unionists fighting against pro-Secessionists in the streets.

Heinrich

Quote from: GloriaPatri on February 09, 2019, 05:56:55 PM
Given that the states of the Union do not have the constitutional right to secede.

That's never been settled legally. Thomas Jefferson would disagree with you, to boot. The defeated cause had but no choice to lay down their arms. The empire struck a mighty blow even the gallant skeletons in gray couldn't overcome.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Reader

Given that the states of the Union do not have the constitutional right to secede, would not be recognized by any major world power, nor have the military forces to resist retaliation from the federal government, I'm going to say no. Even states that are majority opposed to abortion still have urban regions that trend more liberal. Attempting to secede would likely introduce civil unrest within a state on a very large scale. You'd have pro-Unionists fighting against pro-Secessionists in the streets.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Russia would have a serious interest in recognizing a divided U.S.

GloriaPatri

Quote from: Heinrich on February 10, 2019, 03:04:49 PM
Given that the states of the Union do not have the constitutional right to secede.

That's never been settled legally. Thomas Jefferson would disagree with you, to boot. The defeated cause had but no choice to lay down their arms. The empire struck a mighty blow even the gallant skeletons in gray couldn't overcome.

Texas v. White disagrees with you. Furthermore, the Articles of Confederation established a perpetual union among the states. Given that the Constitution establishes "a more perfect union" than the one established by the Articles it follows that the Constitution establishes a perpetual union as well.

And the bonds of union are not merely between each state individually and the federal government, they are between each state and its 49 fellows. Thus a state cannot just unilaterally leave the Union without seeking the consent of the majority of the states it is bound to, at the very least.

The only way for a state or states to leave the Union would be through mass insurrection or by consent of the states of the Union themselves to dissolve the Union (likely through some form of constitutional convention). In the former case "legality" can only be determined when there is a clear winner to the conflict, not before. In the latter case you're going to need the majority of the states ratifying any proposal to end the Union.

Heinrich

Quote from: GloriaPatri on February 12, 2019, 06:55:22 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on February 10, 2019, 03:04:49 PM

Texas v. White disagrees with you. Furthermore, the Articles of Confederation established a perpetual union among the states. Given that the Constitution establishes "a more perfect union" than the one established by the Articles it follows that the Constitution establishes a perpetual union as well.

And the bonds of union are not merely between each state individually and the federal government, they are between each state and its 49 fellows. Thus a state cannot just unilaterally leave the Union without seeking the consent of the majority of the states it is bound to, at the very least.

The only way for a state or states to leave the Union would be through mass insurrection or by consent of the states of the Union themselves to dissolve the Union (likely through some form of constitutional convention). In the former case "legality" can only be determined when there is a clear winner to the conflict, not before. In the latter case you're going to need the majority of the states ratifying any proposal to end the Union.

Good historical gumshoe work, gringo. However, it is clearly evident that the SC has demonstrated itself to be the foundation for the oligarchs, routinely basing moral sans reason decisions in part for poltical power and pelf(Cf. Roe vs Wade).

Again, a man by the name of Jefferson disagrees with you and your candyass carpetbaggery:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/thomas-jefferson-secession-and-states-rights.130704/
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Geremia

Quote from: GloriaPatri on February 09, 2019, 05:56:55 PMwould not be recognized by any major world power
Pope Pius IX recognized the Confederacy.
Quote from: GloriaPatri on February 09, 2019, 05:56:55 PMnor have the military forces to resist retaliation from the federal government
Besides the US and UK, Arizona has the world's largest collection of airplanes.

King Wenceslas

The last Civil War was mainly fought over the money made by the use of slaves in the South. The South was driven to recklessly secede by their paranoia of loosing slavery that was created in their minds by the Abolitionists in the North.

Abortion, sodomy, and sodomite marriage will continue until the Fatima Chastisement. No visible loss of money by implementing them. Will bet money on that.

QuoteUS Ambassador to Germany Richard Grenell is spearheading a global campaign by the Trump administration to end the criminalization of homosexuality in dozens of nations where it is illegal to be gay, according to NBC News. News of the effort - which has reportedly been in the works for some time, comes after Iran made headlines for executing a gay man.

Grenell - America's highest-profile openly gay official and favorite among Trump's base to replace Nikki Haley as UN Ambassador, is kicking off the effort Tuesday evening in Berlin - as the U.S. embassy is flying in European LGBT activists for a strategy dinner during which they will discuss efforts to decriminalize homosexuality. The campaign will be "mostly concentrated in the Middle East, Africa and the Caribbean," writes NBC, which notes that the effort began before the UN job opened up.

America is toast. Stick a fork in Trump, he is done as far as I am concerned.

Heinrich

Quote from: King Wenceslas on February 19, 2019, 01:31:35 PM
The last Civil War was mainly fought over the money made by the use of slaves in the South. The South was driven to recklessly secede by their paranoia of loosing slavery that was created in their minds by the Abolitionists in the North.

Abortion, sodomy, and sodomite marriage will continue until the Fatima Chastisement. No visible loss of money by implementing them. Will bet money on that.

QuoteUS Ambassador to Germany Richard Grenell is spearheading a global campaign by the Trump administration to end the criminalization of homosexuality in dozens of nations where it is illegal to be gay, according to NBC News. News of the effort - which has reportedly been in the works for some time, comes after Iran made headlines for executing a gay man.

Grenell - America's highest-profile openly gay official and favorite among Trump's base to replace Nikki Haley as UN Ambassador, is kicking off the effort Tuesday evening in Berlin - as the U.S. embassy is flying in European LGBT activists for a strategy dinner during which they will discuss efforts to decriminalize homosexuality. The campaign will be "mostly concentrated in the Middle East, Africa and the Caribbean," writes NBC, which notes that the effort began before the UN job opened up.

America is toast. Stick a fork in Trump, he is done as far as I am concerned.

We could fill volumes of bandwidth going over the Southern Cause and Her rights, but that would be imprudent since minds are already made up. In regards to your assessment of Trump, I fear, this may be so. However, he has shown resiliency on many points. I think our "Gettysburg" will be the next SC nomination. Our "Vicksburg," i.e. The Wall, is done.

Jacob

Maybe you all in real life have contacts whom you trust who are more assertive, but from what I've seen poking around political blogs and their comment sections, people like to vent a lot and proclaim how America is going to fight back.  That was ten years ago when Obama got elected.  The extremists in this country are still pulling harder and harder and people are stilling proclaiming America is going to fight back.  One of these days...

Right.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson