Question for Former Orthodox or Eastern-Rite Catholics

Started by Ancilla Domini, February 24, 2014, 01:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher McAvoy

Roland, I have seen antidoron given to someone who was not yet Orthodox in a ROCOR church.

I have no idea whether or not this is against any canon, I suspect it does, but I am ignorant.
One of the things I miss in the present day Latin masses is that there is no blessed bread.
This was a lovely addition to the mass used in the western latin rite orthodox schismatic churches. The custom originates in the west, yet oddly lives on only in the east....of all ironies.

spasiisochrani

Giving antidoron to a non-Catholic would be no different than giving him something like a blessed rosary or green scapular. 

Christopher McAvoy

I'm not saying one way or another whether it's the right practice what I can say is this:

Welcoming protestants and non-catholics non-"orthodox" in the byzantine rite eucharist liturgy to receive anti-doron and not the eucharist has prevented literally THOUSANDS of people who ought not to receive communion from receiving it, and maintaining some semblence of order and right practice regarding reception of the Eucharist.

So in this respect, a revival of the use of antidoron or blessed bread would save the roman catholic catholic church some big headaches for eucharistic impropieties are epidemic and scandalous in our times.