Coffee, Donuts, & Spite?

Started by Insanis, June 27, 2021, 08:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: Jayne on July 03, 2021, 07:57:18 AM
Quote from: TheReturnofLive on July 03, 2021, 07:49:38 AM
Quote from: Jayne on July 03, 2021, 07:40:17 AM
Quote from: TheReturnofLive on July 03, 2021, 07:34:59 AM

Nice heresy bud; certainly, the Pharisees did not teach things properly even in theory.

Matt 23: 1] Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to his disciples, [2] Saying: The scribes and the Pharisees have sitten on the chair of Moses. [3] All things therefore whatsoever they shall say to you, observe and do: but according to their works do ye not; for they say, and do not.

This is a commandment of obedience and not a statement on the orthodoxy of Pharisaical doctrine.

Insanis gave a reasonable paraphrase of what Our Lord taught in Matt 23:1ff by writing, "They had real authority and taught things properly in theory."  I know you would like to claim otherwise but everyone here knows how to read.

And that interpretation of Matthew 23 is heretical.
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: The Curt Jester on July 03, 2021, 07:42:03 AM
Quote from: TheReturnofLive on July 03, 2021, 07:29:23 AMYeah, I'll spell it out for you:

You're acting like a child.

If you want to say that to someone else, you might want to quit posting your childish rhymes. The first time I saw one of those, my first thought was, "how childish!"  (It's also poor poetry). And then you came back with another one.  Two childish rhymes which amount to sticking your tongue out and saying "Nyah!"?  Very puerile.

Still more clever than the usual brand of bland self-aggrandizing internet martyr complex of "woe is me, you hell bound pagans, infidels, heretics, schismatics, blasphemers, faithless!"

At least my insults rhyme sometimes.

And you of all people have the gall to lecture me on "puerility" given your post history on this site.
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

The Curt Jester

Something tells me that you have no idea what my posting history is.   
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

queen.saints

Quote from: TheReturnofLive on July 03, 2021, 07:28:17 AM

...acting like Pope Michael?

Let's not insult Pope Michael. He actually has a surprisingly good sense of humor and his posts are short.

"Children need our time and attention, not things we buy them.  How much quality time do you spend with your spouse and children?  And how much time do you spend ranting and raving here on Facebook?"

"Sometimes silence is the best answer, because not everyone deserves your reaction."

"I have a relative that is a drama queen.  I haven't had anything serious to do with her in eleven years.  Deo gratias."   ( :laugh: )

"Oremus.  And the flip side is that we cannot accomplish much with a person who is not a person of prayer."

I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

Jayne

Quote from: TheReturnofLive on July 03, 2021, 09:22:37 AM
And that interpretation of Matthew 23 is heretical.

Do you expect anyone to believe that you even care whether an interpretation is heretical or not?  This is just another of your endless attempts to score points.  If you put as much effort into building up your faith as you did into making up excuses to attack Insanis, you would probably be a Catholic instead of a "doubting Roman Catholic". 

(If there are any Catholics genuinely concerned about how to understand that passage, let me know and we can discuss it.  The Douay-Rheims Bible introduces Matt. 23 with the heading "Christ admonishes the people to follow the good doctrine, not the bad example of the scribes and Pharisees. He warns his disciples not to imitate their ambition and denounces divers woes against them for their hypocrisy and blindness."  It is obvious to anyone without an axe to grind that this is not a heretical interpretation. )

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Jacob

Quote from: The Curt Jester on July 03, 2021, 07:42:03 AM
If you want to say that to someone else, you might want to quit posting your childish rhymes. The first time I saw one of those, my first thought was, "how childish!"  (It's also poor poetry). And then you came back with another one.  Two childish rhymes which amount to sticking your tongue out and saying "Nyah!"?  Very puerile.

It's actually from a rather good children's book.  _The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales_.  Would that be plagarism or just a homage?
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Mono no aware

In the end, Insanis' unforgiving logic of perfect purity will be carried out to its ultimate fulfillment, and the only two words permitted on the forum will be "Catholic" and "traditional."  The forum users will employ these terms to speak in a binary language, perhaps using them as the dots and dashes in Morse code.  But then the heresy hunts will have to be begin anew.  If history is any indicator, "Catholic" and "traditional" will be shortened to "cath" and "trad."

Quotecath  cath cath cath • trad cath cath  trad trad  cath  trad trad trad • cath cath cath  trad cath trad • cath trad trad trad  cath trad cath cath • cath  trad trad trad trad  trad • trad trad  cath trad  trad trad trad  trad cath  cath trad  trad

Insanis

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 04, 2021, 10:07:15 AM
In the end, Insanis' unforgiving logic of perfect purity will be carried out to its ultimate fulfillment, and the only two words permitted on the forum will be "Catholic" and "traditional."  The forum users will employ these terms to speak in a binary language, perhaps using them as the dots and dashes in Morse code.  But then the heresy hunts will have to be begin anew.  If history is any indicator, "Catholic" and "traditional" will be shortened to "cath" and "trad."

You mock and lie.

You don't get to have any input on Catholic matters.

Mono no aware

Insanis

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 04, 2021, 11:53:40 AM
What did I lie about?

This is a lie and mockery:

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 04, 2021, 10:07:15 AM

It is an absurd statement and nonsensical and just a lie about what me and what this forum is intended to be.

There are no "heresy hunts" either. It isn't a hunt to see what is in front of one's eyes. Heresy is rare. I don't think I point that out much at all.

Blasphemies were quite common, and non-Catholic trolling is exceptionally rampant now.

As for the rest, I'm noted for never using "trad" myself, or "cath". I don't even use the phrase "traditional Catholic" much because I was born that way and always so, so it is just Catholic to me.

I've addressed that before in fact.

The baseline should be "traditional Catholic" because that is the stated purpose of the forum.

For anything else to dominate any discussion is contrary to the purpose of the forum. It makes no sense for any thread, any discussion, any series of responses, to contain non-Catholic content at all, and especially not be over-represented.

Mono no aware

A conjecture about the future can't be a lie.  It's just a supposition; I'm not an oracle.  In any case, I did not say that you yourself would use "trad" and "cath."  I believe I have already complimented you on your eschewing such things—therefore when I said "if history is any indicator," I was obviously referring to the forum users (plural) mentioned prior.  That traditional Catholics in general tend to prefer these cutesy-bopsy abbreviations is a truth.  For example, the name of the forum competing with this one is called "CathInfo."  They don't even have the decorum to call it "Catholic Information."

As for heresy-hunts, you yourself have indicated that you will brook no tolerance for "blasphemy, heresy, or non-Catholic trolling."  By "heresy hunts," I was referring to that stance broadly.  It is not a lie, though it may be a poor choice of words.  I will change it to "policing for orthodoxy" if that would please you.

Insanis

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 04, 2021, 12:14:05 PM
A conjecture about the future can't be a lie.

One can lie about the future if the statement is untrue.

QuoteThat traditional Catholics in general tend to prefer these cutesy-bopsy abbreviations is a truth.  For example, the name of the forum competing with this one is called "CathInfo."  They don't even have the decorum to call it "Catholic Information."

I have not posted on CathInfo in a long time and it has changed its position from when I did. However, the name is a URI from a technical person. It is actually a very good domain name: very short and easy.

I think the name was chosen for this reason. It is a domain name.

And yes, Catholics do tend to use these kinds of abbreviations on forums, and I don't like it usually, but that is my opinion on style mostly.

If traditional Catholics like to call themselves "trads", in the context of a Catholic forum, that is fine usually.

But it is a matter for Catholics only to discuss.

QuoteAs for heresy-hunts, you yourself have indicated that you will brook no tolerance for "blasphemy, heresy, or non-Catholic trolling."  By "heresy hunts," I was referring to that stance broadly.  It is not a lie, though it may be a poor choice of words.  I will change it to "policing for orthodoxy" if that would please you.

That is true and I stand by it. It is consistent with Prudence and the policies of this forum.

We should report violations of the forum rules, and they include condemnations of all those things.

And again, the respect for orthodoxy is a Catholic matter. Non-Catholics don't have any input on that.

It is for Catholics to judge what is appropriate for Catholics to do on this forum.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Insanis on July 04, 2021, 12:26:08 PMOne can lie about the future if the statement is untrue.

But we are not yet sufficiently in the future in order to determine whether the statement is true or false.  Even if my prediction does not come to pass, I am a poor predictor at worst.  I wouldn't be any more a liar than a person who bets on the dice landing on a certain number is a liar.  A guess cannot be a lie, unless it comes with an implied infallibility such as milleniarian prophets are wont to give, which I did not provide.

Quote from: Insanis on July 04, 2021, 12:26:08 PMIf traditional Catholics like to call themselves "trads", in the context of a Catholic forum, that is fine usually.

But it is a matter for Catholics only to discuss.

I see.  This would be the sort of thing that informs my supposition.

Insanis

In short, if this forum becomes overrun by traditional Catholics, and some of them use silly abbreviations, that is fine. It is what the forum is for.

I'll not use them, but among Catholics, I really don't want to get involved in little details too much.

If this forum is a bunch of Catholics talking about their hobbies, or what they ate for dinner, or funny things that happened, or the news, or politics, or anything they want, that is fine too.

That is sort of what I joined for. I had no intention of getting deep into theology again.

But the basic issues are quite basic: non-Catholic trolling, a few blasphemies, and the ever possible heresy. These are basic Catechism and definitions issues.

Insanis

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 04, 2021, 12:38:25 PM
But we are not yet sufficiently in the future in order to determine whether the statement is true or false.  Even if my prediction does not come to pass, I am a poor predictor at worst.  I wouldn't be any more a liar than a person who bets on the dice landing on a certain number is a liar.  A guess cannot be a lie, unless it comes with an implied infallibility such as milleniarian prophets are wont to give, which I did not provide.

Accusations and statements in the forms of questions and suppositions are word games. If you had intended to speculate about the future, why start here and now on this issue? If you are not an oracle, why bother with wording it that way if not to couch your words?

Be simple and straightforward.

I already let it be known I don't play word games.