Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on December 19, 2013, 08:48:52 AM
I was browsing the free ebooks.  I can get a Douay Rheims bible for free. Sweet.

Douay, Baltimore Catechisms, Summa Theologica....
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 20, 2013, 06:26:05 PM
I was browsing the free ebooks.  I can get a Douay Rheims bible for free. Sweet.

Got my Kindle this afternoon.  Can't wait to add some books.  We are in the middle of a slight snowstorm, so good weather for reading.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Archer

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on December 24, 2013, 03:14:00 PM

Got my Kindle this afternoon.  Can't wait to add some books.  We are in the middle of a slight snowstorm, so good weather for reading.

I own a Nook and go in spurts of reading it.  On one hand I love the convenience, but I don't think it could ever replace owning the actual book.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Archer on December 24, 2013, 04:12:47 PM

I own a Nook and go in spurts of reading it.  On one hand I love the convenience, but I don't think it could ever replace owning the actual book.

I put off getting one for that reason. Once I figured I could get a lot of the books I read for free on the kindle, I decided to get one.  I can bring it to work and read on my break. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

drummerboy

I'd be nice to have one of those because you can buy certain, hard-to-find, books really cheap.  But I could never replace actual books...I love my library! 
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Heinrich

A 1/4 lb. of König Ludwig cheese from Bavaria. Gonna pair great with a gift bottle of French Cab.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

tradne4163

Bought a 1955 Monastic Diurnal. I was able to afford it by selling my 1961 Roman Breviary. On top of that, I also plan on getting a Roman Breviary from about the same time frame as the Diurnal. I'm a bit of a collector, but these two will be seeing some use as time goes on.

Both are extremely hard to find in good shape, by the way. I beat the odds on that.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Heinrich on December 24, 2013, 05:20:02 PM
A 1/4 lb. of König Ludwig cheese from Bavaria. Gonna pair great with a gift bottle of French Cab.
could you mail me a sliver of that?
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Dextimus

Didn't buy, but still wish to have ;-)

Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests behave like priests, your bishops, like bishops, and your religious like religious. (Ven. Peter John Fulton Sheen)

Basilios

Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Dextimus

Polish Supreme Court has ruled recently (case: Tysiac vs catholic wekly "Gosc Niedzielny") that it is lawful to write in general terms "the abortion is killing the baby" but is it not lawful to write: "Mrs Tysiac wanting an abortion, wanted to kill her baby".
Does anyone of you see the LOGIC here? I don't

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6470403.stm
Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests behave like priests, your bishops, like bishops, and your religious like religious. (Ven. Peter John Fulton Sheen)

Spooky

I tried reading an actual book but then I realized I couldn't read it in the dark, if I didn't know a word (happens a lot), I couldn't simply touch the word and have the dictionary come up and then I had to find a bookmark to keep my place. E-readers are totally the way to go. ;)

Gardener

Yes! A longtime dream came true with the purchase of a pair of Carhartt Overalls (http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=32172&langId=-1&categoryId=10907&top_category=15056&quickView=false)

Only, I found mine in great condition at a thrift store. $75? No sir, but a scant $9!

I'd wear overalls all the time if I could get away with it.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

moneil

Quote from: Gardener on January 02, 2014, 12:11:11 AM
Yes! A longtime dream came true with the purchase of a pair of Carhartt Overalls (http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=32172&langId=-1&categoryId=10907&top_category=15056&quickView=false)

Only, I found mine in great condition at a thrift store. $75? No sir, but a scant $9!

I'd wear overalls all the time if I could get away with it.

Love the Carhartts.  I received two Carhartt pocket henley's for Christmas.

Archer

Quote from: Spooky on January 01, 2014, 08:42:43 PM

I tried reading an actual book but then I realized I couldn't read it in the dark, if I didn't know a word (happens a lot), I couldn't simply touch the word and have the dictionary come up and then I had to find a bookmark to keep my place. E-readers are totally the way to go. ;)

For sure, those are all things I love about e-readers. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney