Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximilian

Quote from: erin is nice on November 19, 2013, 06:06:31 PM
Quote from: Maximilian on November 18, 2013, 08:09:50 PM
Quote from: erin is nice on November 16, 2013, 06:40:22 AM
I am dying to go to Norway (and I am not even the tiniest bit Norwegian or Scandinavian of any kind).

Are you a fan of Kristen Lavransdatter?

Yes!

I wonder if they have something like a "Kristen Lavransdatter" tour that takes you around to all the spots mentioned in the book. Of course, a lot of them would have changed since the 14th century. To be authentic, you'd have to travel between cities on cross-country skis.

It's interesting that the Revelations of St. Bridget take place in the exact same time, although she was in Sweden, but Sweden and Norway were the same country at the time, or at least some people thought so, that's why Erlend got involved in that coup attempt, and St. Bridget was at the court of the queen of Sweden whose two sons divided Sweden and Norway into two countries, which is mentioned in passing in "Kristen Lavransdatter."

Here is a painting of the queen, Blanche de Namur, who was related to St. Bridget and whose sons caused the political trouble that Erlend got involved with. Both Erlend and Kristens' father were related to the Swedish royal family, as I recall.

Larry

Quote from: Maximilian on November 19, 2013, 09:00:52 PM
Quote from: Non Nobis on November 18, 2013, 09:17:34 PM
Quote from: Maximilian on November 18, 2013, 08:09:50 PM
Quote from: erin is nice on November 16, 2013, 06:40:22 AM
I am dying to go to Norway (and I am not even the tiniest bit Norwegian or Scandinavian of any kind).

Are you a fan of Kristen Lavransdatter?

I am!  If you love that you should also try The Master of Hestviken (in 4 volumes), also by Undset.

I've always wanted to read that, but I can't find much time for reading fiction anymore.

Undst's works are more edifying than a lot of non fiction. Her books are masterpieces, every one of them.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Kaesekopf

Ed Feser's Aquinas for Beginners at Half Price Books for $5.  :D

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Deirdre

A copy of The Dangerous Book for Boys for a friend. He's in his late fifties, but young at heart, and he loves the book.  :)
My Lord and my God.

piabee

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: piabee on November 21, 2013, 12:34:58 PM
This.

I clicked on that link, read three of the posts, and my beard receded into my face about 1/8".
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

The Harlequin King

After being fed up with hard disk failure on my gaming rig, I bought a 500GB Samsung solid state drive. It was $30 off at the time I ordered it.

Time will tell if the upgrade was worth it.

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: The Harlequin King on November 21, 2013, 06:43:55 PM
After being fed up with hard disk failure on my gaming rig, I bought a 500GB Samsung solid state drive. It was $30 off at the time I ordered it.

Wow! That is a serious piece of hardware. Are you running it together with an HDD, or did you just swap it over?
"This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. "
Jn:21:24

????????????

Kaesekopf

Very nice.  :)
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Irenaeus G. Saintonge on November 21, 2013, 10:17:50 PM

Wow! That is a serious piece of hardware. Are you running it together with an HDD, or did you just swap it over?

I have one internal 1TB mechanical HDD for storage. Also a 2TB external USB HDD for yet more storage, lending to friends, and so on. Actually, the hard drive that failed still works just fine if I want to access files from it, so I didn't lose any data. But I can't boot Windows from it anymore. So in total, I have 4TB of storage space, not counting the new SSD. Some would call that overkill, I know.

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: The Harlequin King on November 22, 2013, 10:10:50 AM
Quote from: Irenaeus G. Saintonge on November 21, 2013, 10:17:50 PM

I have one internal 1TB mechanical HDD for storage. Also a 2TB external USB HDD for yet more storage, lending to friends, and so on. Actually, the hard drive that failed still works just fine if I want to access files from it, so I didn't lose any data. But I can't boot Windows from it anymore. So in total, I have 4TB of storage space, not counting the new SSD. Some would call that overkill, I know.

Nah, I get that. :D People need different ways to store things and move things around. I have a 2TB external hard drive for backups, but lately I find myself wanting something like a 500GB portable drive for movies and tv shows to watch on dvd player which has a USB outlet.
Do you find boot times faster, or anything like that? I have always been interested on what effect an SSD would have on regular day-to-day computing.
"This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. "

????????????

The Harlequin King

I won't get the drive in the mail until Monday at the earliest, so I can't say yet.

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: The Harlequin King on November 22, 2013, 12:28:45 PM
I won't get the drive in the mail until Monday at the earliest, so I can't say yet.
I will be interested to find out. :)

????????????