Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tradne4163

I bought Moral Theology by Fr. Heribert Jone ( the book is also known as Adelman-Jone). Funny story, my first attempt to score it off of Amazon led to me getting the wrong title. I was mailed volume one of A Handbook of Moral Theology by Thomas Slater. I ended up getting a refund, and was told I could keep the book. It's tempting to try to find volume 2.

Anyway, I had better luck this time. the size is quite a bit smaller than I expected, but it's in good shape.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

Kaesekopf

I bought a TI-30X IIS.  Because I need an easy to transport standalone calculator.  And it was somewhat cheap.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Basilios

I pose with my whiskey (I think Yanks call it "Scotch" to differentiate between Bourbon i.e. urine-in-a-bottle).

It's called Jura. I wanted to buy some Islay Whiskey today and my intention was to get a bottle for around £40-60 (that's somewhere around $70ish for you challenged folks 'cross the sea).
But after having a haircut (£15), buying groceries for the week (£45) and buying a nice pair of jeans (£65) I didn't want to spend a single cent more today; so I went whisky shopping just to tease myself.

Anyway, I stumbled upon this fella who was on special for £15. It's a single malt of no significant age indication. But from the reviews I quickly did online while in store, it's an incredibly smooth and peaty whisky (my favourite) and for the price it can't be beat. That's what the internet told me anyway. But I haven't had a chance to try it yet; when I do I will let you know what it's like. For now, enjoy my handsome mug.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Basilios

Ok, so I had a dram (or two).

It's not bad. Definitely not as peaty as I like and I get the smokey flavours and some leather flavours (if thats a good way to describe it). It's quite pleasant; very smooth. The nose is very nice; it's probably better than the taste in a way. It's sweet and honey-like. The only downside is, for me, the after-taste wasn't good. It left my palate a bit underwhelmed and deflated (if you can understand that). So it's not quite "I want moar!" like some of the more expensive Islay whiskies that I enjoy. But for the price, it's a very good whisky and I think it may actually go well on ice (I always drink neat or with a teaspoon of water, but this only really pleases me when it's a very nice peaty whisky).

So there's my review if you ever think of buying Jura Superstition.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

The Harlequin King

I went to a barbershop on the "hip" side of town which serves free beer while you wait. It was a pretty cool place. Also had an arcade machine.

Basilios

Quote from: The Harlequin King on September 21, 2013, 12:33:35 PM
I went to a barbershop on the "hip" side of town which serves free beer while you wait. It was a pretty cool place. Also had an arcade machine.

LouisIX

Quote from: The Harlequin King on September 21, 2013, 12:33:35 PM

This is the very best of things.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Heinrich

Quote from: Basilios on September 21, 2013, 10:39:06 AM
I pose with my whiskey (I think Yanks call it "Scotch" to differentiate between Bourbon i.e. urine-in-a-bottle).

Bourbon is not whiskey. It is Bourbon. There is a distinct difference.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Basilios

Quote from: Heinrich on September 21, 2013, 12:53:47 PM

No, Bourbon is whisky.

Since whisky is (very loosely) simply a fermented (mashed) grain... Bourbon is whisky.

All Bourbons are whisky; not all whisky is Bourbon.

Heinrich

Quote from: Basilios on September 21, 2013, 12:59:21 PM

No, Bourbon is whisky.

Since whisky is (very loosely) simply a fermented (mashed) grain... Bourbon is whisky.

So Scotch is not Bourbon, then?

BTW, I got five of these bad boys in my ice chest waiting to be caressed and then crushed. Better than anything I had in Europe(except Bavaria).

http://www.bristolbrewing.com/our_beers.asp
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Basilios

Quote from: Heinrich on September 21, 2013, 01:19:20 PM
Quote from: Basilios on September 21, 2013, 12:59:21 PM

No, Bourbon is whisky.

So Scotch is not Bourbon, then?

BTW, I got five of these bad boys in my ice chest waiting to be caressed and then crushed. Better than anything I had in Europe(except Bavaria).

http://www.bristolbrewing.com/our_beers.asp

No, Scotch is Scottish whisky (though as I said, I think only Americans call it scotch - over here whisky = 'scotch' by default (or possibly Irish whisky), and if we mean bourbon we say bourbon). Scotch as far as I am aware has a better reputation than Bourbon though I am not sure why. Some 'scotch' isn't great either; I really dislike blended whisky even if it costs alot (though admittedly I haven't tried the really good stuff, but I have tried some relatively pricey blends and they were yucky to me).

That beer looks good. I'm not a huge beer fan or appreciator as I am of whisky (which is not to say I am an expert or aficionado on whisky at all I just mean I like it and can really appreciate it). I love drinking a good beer on a Sunday but here's the difference. My mom's husband couldn't tell you the difference between an Islay whisky and a Bourbon (to go to the extremes) but he could give you a good analysis of some of the local craft beers and their noses, flavours, aftertastes. I am the opposite. Couldn't tell you if a particular beer was chocolaty with hints of burnt bacon but I could tell you if a particular whisky had hints of caramel.

Heinrich

I am like your step father(?). Don't know much about likker, but brew is good for you.

Basilios

Quote from: Heinrich on September 21, 2013, 02:29:02 PM
I am like your step father(?). Don't know much about likker, but brew is good for you.

LOL step-father. Both my parents re-married and both their spouses had previous kids. None of these people are my step-anything. Mom's husband; and his kids are 'moms husbands kids'. Not sure if that's cold hearted of me but anyhoo.

Yeah beer is good. I got fat in beer in University so I drink the hard stuff now. Small amounts, big flavor. Nice payoff.

sprungli