Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ServusMariae

My humble haul from a 2-dollar store: A Christmas-y storage box (with a snowman on the top), 2 sets of Japanese origami papers, 2 spare earpieces, 1 miniature Christmas tree. :D

Kephapaulos

Quote from: Lumen Christi on November 09, 2017, 05:22:50 PM
I bought my mom a Christmas present (shh...don't tell her!):

Hey, everyone, let's tell LC's mom what she got her for Christmas! (joke) ;D

Before I would read that book, I still need to get through all of The Imitation of Christ and True Devotion.

Kephapaulos

Quote from: ServusMariae on November 12, 2017, 11:28:26 PM
My humble haul from a 2-dollar store: A Christmas-y storage box (with a snowman on the top), 2 sets of Japanese origami papers, 2 spare earpieces, 1 miniature Christmas tree. :D

Nice! I plan to go to the Dollar Tree myself for Christmas shopping again. It's interesting that it's a two-dollar store you went to. If our currencies were equal, you would have spent double on each item compared what I would spend on each. ;D

ServusMariae

Quote from: Kephapaulos on November 13, 2017, 12:32:36 AM
Nice! I plan to go to the Dollar Tree myself for Christmas shopping again. It's interesting that it's a two-dollar store you went to. If our currencies were equal, you would have spent double on each item compared what I would spend on each. ;D

yep, for 2 bucks I get all sorts of quality stuff from Japan (albeit most of the products are made in China, with the exception of certain origami papers, original toys, pouches, Japanese cultural items & foodstuff - the latter is directly imported from Japan, & they're yummy. ^-^)

I so wanna go to the Dollar Tree!! & I don't care if I gotta spend double the price - as long as it's value for money!!!

Lumen Christi

Quote from: Kephapaulos on November 13, 2017, 12:30:06 AM
Quote from: Lumen Christi on November 09, 2017, 05:22:50 PM
I bought my mom a Christmas present (shh...don't tell her!):

Hey, everyone, let's tell LC's mom what she got her for Christmas! (joke) ;D

Before I would read that book, I still need to get through all of The Imitation of Christ and True Devotion.
Haha! :)

I bought her The Imitation of Christ two Christmases ago!

The Curt Jester

A new faucet, water heater, and three tarps.  Woohoo!
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Prayerful

Missal 1754. Those photos are a bit, but it's interesting. A bit fragile on some pages of the Canon, but that's usual, unless the Missal were never  or rarely used.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Carleendiane

Beautiful, prayerful! I have anew old bible with locks and looks much like that, but much larger. I love those type of treasures.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

ServusMariae

Prayerful

Quote from: Carleendiane on November 15, 2017, 05:47:58 PM
Beautiful, prayerful! I have anew old bible with locks and looks much like that, but much larger. I love those type of treasures.

Thanks. Beautifully tooled cover, solid clasps, and a style of illustration characteristic of the time. Tomorrow, in a sort of calendar quirk that happens of a time, tomorrow is the sixth Sunday after Epiphany, passed over this year. It has the propers printed for those passed over Sundays printed immediately after the 24th Sunday after Pentecost. It must have eased the life of some Venetian priest a little not to have to place ribbons throughout the Missal - tomorrow will be little bit more fiddly with the hand missal. And the Holy Mass deserves nothing less than the best.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Lumen Christi

ServusMariae

Quote from: Lumen Christi on November 18, 2017, 06:40:39 PM
Also for my mom for Christmas:

I have that at home!! (*screams*)

St. Louis Marie de Montfort is the expert in everything Marian, & the Secret of Mary ... let's say I'm not gonna reveal any spoilers (because it's a secret lol) ... but really: it packs alot of punch.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Prayerful on November 18, 2017, 06:06:08 PM
Quote from: Carleendiane on November 15, 2017, 05:47:58 PM

Thanks. Beautifully tooled cover, solid clasps, and a style of illustration characteristic of the time. Tomorrow, in a sort of calendar quirk that happens of a time, tomorrow is the sixth Sunday after Epiphany, passed over this year. It has the propers printed for those passed over Sundays printed immediately after the 24th Sunday after Pentecost. It must have eased the life of some Venetian priest a little not to have to place ribbons throughout the Missal - tomorrow will be little bit more fiddly with the hand missal. And the Holy Mass deserves nothing less than the best.

Prayerful, we sent our Bible to have the inside cover refurbished. That was all that was needed. All the artwork throughout is awesome. Most are pen and ink, but also some colored artwork. Copyright is 1878. 140 years old, but very sound. Douhey Rheims. Just as your beautiful Missal is the best for Mass. My bible seems so noble and dignified for the WORD of GOD.  :) You know, we are very blessed to have these treasures. By the way, our Bible cover is beautifully tooled leather, like your missal.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Lumen Christi

Next up in the "Christmas presents for my mom" department:

I'll be ordering it soon.

Prayerful

Replacement ribbons from Leather Missal Covers are handy, fast service. Probably a very predictable service, but fast and good quality, and they definitely focus on Catholics.