Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St. Drogo

The Koran and its exegeses are carnal and frankly boorish texts. I can stomach much of Avicenna and Averroes, though.

misericonfit

Quote from: Gardener on July 31, 2017, 08:14:22 AM
So... yes and no. Islam is much more varied than monolithic. Not only does the Quran matter, but also the Hadith (the traditions of the life of Muhammad). Reading just the Quran is sort of like an Atheist reading just the Bible with no mind of the Tradition of the Church -- and worse, not even in Chronological order. Different schools will interpret things differently. The Quran is not coherent, either, and one has to follow scholars in order to understand its order, and how to interpret things, since it is not in a chronological order but is longest to shortest.

https://wikiislam.net/wiki/Chronological_Order_of_the_Qur%27an

Oddly enough, Acts 17 Apologetics is a good source, as they delve into both the Quran and Hadith.
Acts17 are very good. I've watched a lot of David Wood's videos. He refers to both Quran and the hadiths - usually Bukhari, sometimes one of the other collections. I've often wondered which Koran he uses. I wish there were a Catholic equivalent of Acts17Apologetics.

I think the Koran is more impressive than some give it credit for being, if a bit too fond of threatening ppl with Hellfire. It's confusing that some Catholics stress the variety in Islam, whereas others, no less well-acquainted with it, emphasise its violent and aggressive aspect. My impression is that many of the criticisms made against Catholicism are also made against Islam, and that the cryptic, Protean character ascribed by some to Catholicism is also ascribed to Islam.

Receive, O Lord, all my liberty. Take my memory, my understanding, and my entire will. Whatsoever I have or possess Thou hast bestowed upon me; to Thee I give it all back and surrender it wholly to be governed by Thy Will. Give me love for Thee alone, with Thy grace, and I am rich enough and ask for nothing more.

- St Ignatius Loyola.

St. Drogo

Needed some over-the-calf socks for myself and the missus (I can't stand mid-calf socks that always fall down, and unfortunately all my socks are disintegrating), so I bought these with a 20% discount referral and a free tenth pair

Carleendiane

GRAPEFRUIT Shandy. Leinenkugels. 4 is enough. lis ten to me. I know this.  ;)
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

misericonfit

Quote from: St. Drogo on July 31, 2017, 11:30:34 PM
The Koran and its exegeses are carnal and frankly boorish texts. I can stomach much of Avicenna and Averroes, though.
Depends on one's interests, I suppose :) Avicenna is one of the many authors I would like to read. And Averroes. On a related note, reading the Fathers & the mediaevals on Genesis 1 is a very good way of defending oneself from both atheist mockers, and Fundamentalists.
Receive, O Lord, all my liberty. Take my memory, my understanding, and my entire will. Whatsoever I have or possess Thou hast bestowed upon me; to Thee I give it all back and surrender it wholly to be governed by Thy Will. Give me love for Thee alone, with Thy grace, and I am rich enough and ask for nothing more.

- St Ignatius Loyola.

dymphna17

It seems we are the proud new partial owners of a T-Bird II!  Woo Hoo!!!  The video of it seen below, was taken 4 days ago.  I don't have any pictures right now but will soon.  Thankfully the weather has cleared enough for it to be flown home.  The guys were bummed out when they saw the storms rolling in when they left this morning.  They thought they were going to have to find a trailer big enough to haul it and then go back down.  But God was good to them and made the clouds disappear for a little while.  It should be in the hanar by 6:00 pm.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXKf_WXaCh4[/yt]
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Carleendiane

Dymphna, is that something you will be able to flr? I know nothing about planes, but I know you wanted to be able to fly whatever DH bought.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

dymphna17

Quote from: Carleendiane on August 05, 2017, 03:30:41 PM
Dymphna, is that something you will be able to flr? I know nothing about planes, but I know you wanted to be able to fly whatever DH bought.

YES!!!  That's the reason they bought a 2 seater.  Now Hubby won't have to have a heart attack or run down the runway holding the wing so I don't accidently take off.  Poor guy.  This way he'll be able to teach me and the guy that went in on it as well.  Then he'll let me fly the Weedhopper.  Come on down and he'll teach you too!  How fun would that be?
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Carleendiane

Quote from: dymphna17 on August 05, 2017, 03:51:19 PM
Quote from: Carleendiane on August 05, 2017, 03:30:41 PM

YES!!!  That's the reason they bought a 2 seater.  Now Hubby won't have to have a heart attack or run down the runway holding the wing so I don't accidently take off.  Poor guy.  This way he'll be able to teach me and the guy that went in on it as well.  Then he'll let me fly the Weedhopper.  Come on down and he'll teach you too!  How fun would that be?

Oh no Dymph, I am a rider. That's it. I am not brave like you. I am scaredy cat.  I can't roar.

misericonfit

Quote from: dymphna17 on August 05, 2017, 03:25:16 PM
It seems we are the proud new partial owners of a T-Bird II!  Woo Hoo!!!  The video of it seen below, was taken 4 days ago.  I don't have any pictures right now but will soon.  Thankfully the weather has cleared enough for it to be flown home.  The guys were bummed out when they saw the storms rolling in when they left this morning.  They thought they were going to have to find a trailer big enough to haul it and then go back down.  But God was good to them and made the clouds disappear for a little while.  It should be in the hanar by 6:00 pm.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXKf_WXaCh4[/yt]
Impressive. Very. Was that its maiden flight ?

- St Ignatius Loyola.

dymphna17

Hubby just sent me some pictures.  Bill (the man flying it home) took off about 20 minutes ago.  He'll have to make 1 stop to fill up with gas.  It should only take him a little over 2 hours to get home.  I'm so excited!!  You would be able to go for a ride in this one, Carleen.

Misericonfit, no, that was just the flight they posted with the "For Sale" ad.  There were 2 men that owned it and the one that flew it the most died last year.  The man that was left with it put it up for sale because he got into flying helicopters.  The plane was just sitting around so this guy decided to sell it.

It's got a 32ft wingspan

The front view

The inside looking at the instrument panel view

Our fearless pilot with his flamable companion getting ready for take-off
?

St. Drogo

So my brother-in-law got back from the States and brought my shears and a bunch of tailoring supplies (horsehair canvas, viscose satin and bemberg lining, thimbles, a hip curve, beeswax, silk thread, proper buttonhole twist and gimp, a pair of 4" japanese embroidery scissors, triangular tailor's chalk, and a few other notions) with him (I'm having to build up my supplies from scratch here in Australia). $34 for these beautiful German carbon steel shears, which weigh about 1 2/3 lb, is a steal. The thimbles are not the best thing in the world, but the price was right. (Why is it so difficult to get a proper open-ended thimble? What's even the point of those ubiquitous silly closed-top ones?) I got it to fit snug in the end by grinding off 1/8 inch.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

St. Drogo

Quote from: Kaesekopf on August 06, 2017, 12:49:52 AM
How'd you learn to tailor?

Self-tuition mainly (along with some supplemental informal guidance from experienced tailors). I started with Cabrera and Hostek, then moved on to Whife's Art of Garment Making and 1960s issues of the Tailor and Cutter. I've been doing it since we used to chat on FE, though I've been on a bit of a hiatus of late; my cancer wife needed some new clothes, and since I didn't want her wearing some shit wool-blend thrift-store get-up and business has been going good I thought I'd get back into it. I'm not happy with my coats yet, but I'm thinking about training up and hiring some smart literary kiddos from church to take up some of my editorial work and if I can sell a couple of my translations, I've got a pal who's keen to learn bespoke cutting and tailoring and may be keen to start a small outfit with me next year if we spend say 30 hrs/week practicing.

In other news, I bought some stuff from Kent (highly recommended, wonderful prices)
A boar-bristle clothes brush:

A nail brush (wife's nagging about my dirty nails made me do it):

Shave soap (pleased to say that I finally managed to get my straight razor honed enough to shave as smooth as Papa Frank's dainty hands):

A mustache comb:

And a hair comb:

Though it feels good to spend money for a change and while the things I've bought in the last couple of weeks are excellent value, I'm starting to feel my jew blood welter, so that's probably that for a while—in Venice we were subsisting on half-price pig hearts for almost two years.

ETA: Oh, and I got a couple of meters of this cloth, too, by placing an obscenely low offer at the site of an ebay merchant who was going out of business:

Gardener

Just left this review on Amazon:

Item: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BTXSCE..._prd_ttl_sol_6

Title:
I wish they made these in adult sizes.

Review:

After several times of our little pudge-munchkin sinking like a rock in the bathtub, instead of floating gracefully like we once saw on a YouTube video, we decided something had to be done. Enter the Summer Infant Deluxe Baby Bather. It was an immediate improvement to the baby bathing experience. Gone were the frantic moments of searching under 257 bath toys amidst 1 foot of soapy foam bubbles. He just lays there, smiling -- more importantly, breathing air -- as we gently scrub him with a gentle wash cloth and tears free body wash/shampoo. Forsaking gurgling for giggling, I cannot recommend this product enough.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe