Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carleendiane

Quote from: Chestertonian on May 22, 2017, 11:37:03 AM
My son bought one of those fidget spinners--with his own money.  and my Amazon account

Ches, how bout a pic so I can see what it is?
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Carleendiane

Quote from: Chestertonian on May 22, 2017, 11:58:15 AM

it looks like this

Do you throw it? Like a frisbee, or is it to stand on? And you throw him?  ;D
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Gardener

Quote from: Carleendiane on May 22, 2017, 12:00:32 PM
Quote from: Chestertonian on May 22, 2017, 11:58:15 AM

it looks like this

Do you throw it? Like a frisbee, or is it to stand on? And you throw him?  ;D

you twirl it in your fingers.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Kephapaulos

Oh, yes. I had heard of those from the news and saw one not too long ago. They look fun.

Heinrich

Since I was pointed out to be a turgid rule breaker and self conscious dolt by a seemingly faultless regular poster here, I will go ahead and assuage further said poster's unctuous persona by showing off this purchase of mine:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00HNU38H2?tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-s1060-def00-other-smile-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-4

And due to my inherent and insufferable shortcomings, I am not even going to provide a translation.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Prayerful

Seven or eight years ago I made a false economy with a mild steel exhaust system. It broke just after the baffle, and I see no good in repair. Stainless steel it is now. £300 including fitting kit and shipping is fine. Lucky too I found a badge on Ebay, as NTG don't have it and most on Ebay were asking silly money (£80 before shipping), but found someone who sold a badge as mounted decoration for £25, and bought it.

Also Raccolta x 2. I found a copy of The New Raccolta on archive.org. I downloaded a pdf version and put it on the Kindle. PDF might be inflexible in some respects, but it captures the look of the original. Also, prayers like the Prayer of St Francis Xavier for the conversion of the infidels (pg 51) seem to be replaced by less strident prayers further on in later version of the Raccolta, speaking of which I got a copy of The Raccolta: a manual of prayers and devotions enriched by Indulgences from 1957. This is a reprint by St Athanasius Press (dead url), and is a straight copy. Wonderful, but prayers for the conversion of infidels are sorely needed while the sectaries of the demon Allah and his minion and demoniac Mohammed assail the peoples of the world, believer and unbeliever alike. Moslems must have seemed so peaceable in 1957.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

moneil

The LEXHAM LATIN-ENGLISH INTERLINEAR VULGATE
Curtis, A., & Hoogendyk, I. (2016). The Lexham Latin-English Interlinear Vulgate. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.

It is a digital resource from Verbum www.verbum.com, which is the Catholic division of the Faithlife company in Bellingham, WA, as are Logos and Lexham Press.

It has the Clementine Vulgate bible.  Under each word is the Latin root word, then alphanumeric codes indicating the grammatical form of the Latin word in the text, then one or more English equivalent words.

Prayerful

I bought a 1961 Maryknoll Missal from someone in the SSPX Facebook group.  The rubrics for the ordinary, itself a clean and thoughtful piece of design, makes mention of a commentator, someone who was used at a point in the sixties to provide translation and commentary at points of the Mass. I recall Fr Cekada stating that his father had that task. Thankfully, no hermeneutic of continuity enthusiast has attempted to revive this paraliturgical post. Also a Book of Common Prayer from 1916. Even before their liturgy and church furnishing was heavily influenced by Concilium[, prayers like the shortened 'Confiteor' show how closely Protestant liturgies and the Novus Ordo Missae really are. Protestants must have had good eyesight too. :lol:
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Prayerful on July 01, 2017, 05:57:19 PM
I bought a 1961 Maryknoll Missal from someone in the SSPX Facebook group.  The rubrics for the ordinary, itself a clean and thoughtful piece of design, makes mention of a commentator, someone who was used at a point in the sixties to provide translation and commentary at points of the Mass. I recall Fr Cekada stating that his father had that task. Thankfully, no hermeneutic of continuity enthusiast has attempted to revive this paraliturgical post. Also a Book of Common Prayer from 1916. Even before their liturgy and church furnishing was heavily influenced by Concilium[, prayers like the shortened 'Confiteor' show how closely Protestant liturgies and the Novus Ordo Missae really are. Protestants must have had good eyesight too. :lol:

I love the Beuronese artwork in the Maryknoll.  I've wanted to get a pre-63 Maryknoll JUST for the artwork. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Deirdre

Letters of St. Therese, Volume II. I tried to make use of yesterday's promotion, but it didn't work. :(
My Lord and my God.

St. Drogo

Bought some nice English cloths today. For making up some morning trousers, this 10 oz:

This buff 11–12 oz twill for a waistcoat:

This vintage flannel style cloth in 15 oz for a three-piece lounge suit:

This 12.5 oz tweed for a skirt and maybe a waistcoat:

Another 15 oz flannel for odd trousers:

This 12 oz tweed for a skirt and a waistcoat:

I may post some pictures of the drafting, cutting, and making later in case anyone is interested in all what's involved in bespoke tailoring.

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: St. Drogo on July 24, 2017, 08:57:53 PM
I may post some pictures of the drafting, cutting, and making later in case anyone is interested in all what's involved in bespoke tailoring.

Thank you, please do.  I really would like to see how you do this.

dymphna17

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on July 24, 2017, 10:05:24 PM
Quote from: St. Drogo on July 24, 2017, 08:57:53 PM
Bought some nice English cloths today. For making up some morning trousers, this 10 oz:

Thank you, please do.  I really would like to see how you do this.

What ^^she said^^!

It's not a completely done deal yet, we went to KC yesterday to check out a discount appliance "store" that specializes in scratch and dent items.  It's all basically marked down to about half.  We pulled up to a non-descript tin building that had the address written out on the lower portion on the left side of it.  Other than that there was no way to know this was an appliance center.  We had satan's breath for weather so we were hoping and praying this place had air conditioning almost as hard as we were hoping it wasn't one of those, "Yeah, it fell right off the back of the truck" stores, if you get my drift.  We walked into a pleasantly cool building.   Hubby's protoge's Grandmother got an $1800 refrigerator for $600.  They charged another $120 for delivery (it's about a 60 mile drive one way) and installation.   This one is of those 4 and 1/2 door LG stainless ones.  It has a little scratch up by the top in the back and the handles were scratched up.  They replaced the handles so unless you turn it around, you would never know anything was wrong with it.

I do have a question for you all.  Have any of you had any experience with LG appliances?  I have only had LG electronics which seem to be pretty good, but I've neither had, nor known anyone with an LG appliance.  Once Hubby gets his first school bus driving checks here in a few weeks, we plan on going back but with a trailer this time.

Hmmm  Should I have started a 'Thinking of Buying Anything Interesting or Only Mildly Intriguing Later' thread?   :doh: 8)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica