Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moneil

"Trials of a Translator" by Fr. Ronald Arbuthnott Knox; First Edition (IDK if there were subsequent editions) hardcover, 1949.

This has been on my list for awhile and I picked it up off eBay a couple of days ago when I had a coupon deadline, though I now notice there may be better pricing on Amazon  ;D.  Anyways, I'm looking forward to reading it.

I am aware that Msgr. Knox is not every Trad's favorite person, and that his translation of the Vulgate (1945 - 1950, prepared at the request of the Bishops of England and W) doesn't pass the Isaiah 7:14 "litmus test".  Yet I have admired him on several levels, the son of an Anglican bishop ordained in the C of E, then converting to Catholicism (1917) and being ordained a true priest.

Given the complexity, and one could say the inadequacy, of human language for expressing Divine matters, and also given the occasional "controversies" over the "real" Douay-Rheims (1582 - 1610) vs. Bishop Richard Challoner's revision (1749 - 1752), the Challoner version being the definitive D-R we are familiar with today, I am looking forward to reading about the "trials" of a translator.

Deirdre

Quote from: moneil on March 26, 2017, 10:57:24 PM
"Trials of a Translator" by Fr. Ronald Arbuthnott Knox; First Edition (IDK if there were subsequent editions) hardcover, 1949.

This has been on my list for awhile and I picked it up off eBay a couple of days ago when I had a coupon deadline, though I now notice there may be better pricing on Amazon  ;D.  Anyways, I'm looking forward to reading it.

I am aware that Msgr. Knox is not every Trad's favorite person, and that his translation of the Vulgate (1945 - 1950, prepared at the request of the Bishops of England and W) doesn't pass the Isaiah 7:14 "litmus test".  Yet I have admired him on several levels, the son of an Anglican bishop ordained in the C of E, then converting to Catholicism (1917) and being ordained a true priest.

Given the complexity, and one could say the inadequacy, of human language for expressing Divine matters, and also given the occasional "controversies" over the "real" Douay-Rheims (1582 - 1610) vs. Bishop Richard Challoner's revision (1749 - 1752), the Challoner version being the definitive D-R we are familiar with today, I am looking forward to reading about the "trials" of a translator.

Oh, I WANT this! And then I want to go and read the Knox translation of the Bible, after reading this!  ;D :grin: I've been thinking a lot about translation lately, having recently come across certain things that really aren't translatable into English, and so having to rely on my knowledge of other languages to help myself to make sense of whether using a word in a certain context in another language would convey my desired meaning. The languages were French and Japanese, if anyone's as interested in details as I am.  :lol: :tinfoil: And that led me to considering how different translations of the Bible move us as individuals: how every "language nut" who's familiar with more than one translation, likely has their own "favorite" tidbits that they prefer in one rendition rather than in another. God is so good to us, drawing us to Himself in this way. :)

But yes, definitely want the book.  :thumbsup: Let me know how...language-y it is, will you, moneil? :) I want to get inside the translator's brain, and listen to him detail all of the considerations that went into why he picked a certain way of expressing a phrase.

Edit: Wait, hold the phone. This is what I need:

QuoteKnox also produced a three volume commentary to accompany his translation of the New Testament.

Thank you, Amazon reviewer! Now to track it down!
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

There's a place two hours from me known as Gorham by the Pound. This is where all the unsold stuff from Goodwill stores winds up. It's all sold by weight. When I walked through the door there was a 4x4x8 cardboard box full of old 78's in their original covers. It was being pawed over by drooling collectors/antique dealers. In the book section I purchased:
How the Scots Invented the Modern World - Arthur Herman
Absolute Relativism-Chris Stefanick with a foreword by Cardinal Raymond Burke
Bound Feet and Western Dress-Pang-Mei Natasha Chang
Duty First-Ed Roggero
North to the Night-Alvah Simon
Oswald's Tale-Norman Mailer
The Great Train Robbery-Michael Crichton
A Tale of Two Cities-Charles Dickens
Hindoo Holiday-J.R.Ackerley
The Wizard of Oz- L.Frank Baum
The Passion of the Western Mind-Richard Tarnas

For the grandchildren:
Night of the Ninjas-Mary Pope Osborne
Cowboys- Marie and Douglas Gorsline
The Living Rain Forest-Paul Kratter
The Wisest Man in the World- Benjamin Elkin
A Season With Wally the Green Monster- Jerry Remy
The Pooh Story Book- A.A. Milne
Snakes- Jerry Pallotta
It's Spring!- Linda Glaser
The Vikings- Robert Nicholson
Bently & Egg- William Joyce
Into the Unknown- National Geographic
Snake Dictionary- Scholastic
All of the above for $1.80 US

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Deirdre

I love/hate it when people post things about their local thrift shops.  :lol: English really needs a word for this emotion. Like "frenemy," but...you know..an emotion.  :P
My Lord and my God.

Gardener

Quote from: Bernadette on March 27, 2017, 05:32:18 AM
I love/hate it when people post things about their local thrift shops.  :lol: English really needs a word for this emotion. Like "frenemy," but...you know..an emotion.  :P

Jealppy? Healous?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Deirdre

Quote from: Gardener on March 27, 2017, 06:39:27 AM
Quote from: Bernadette on March 27, 2017, 05:32:18 AM

Jealppy? Healous?
The pronunciation of this one seems...problematic.
My Lord and my God.

Prayerful

A St Joseph Daily Missal with the approprobation of Francis Cardinal Spellman, copyright 1959, Catholic Book Publishing (hence the superb colour plates), New Edition 1963. Some interesting prayer cards including one for Bl (now St) Maria Goretti from a Passionist House and a prayer to St Jude which is somewhat different (although at least not the Conciliar edit) and lacking the litany which was approved by ordinary of Dublin in 1959 (the card, my one is in a fragile state and the prayers online differ).
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Hat And Beard

Kaesekopf

I bought a new fountain pen.  Price was really solid.  Oops.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Hat And Beard

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 28, 2017, 01:57:29 PM

You should start writing your responses in threads on paper and scanning them in.  ;)

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Hat And Beard on March 28, 2017, 04:04:38 PM

You should start writing your responses in threads on paper and scanning them in.  ;)
That would be fun.

I think I'd post less then, though.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Kaesekopf

Also, people actually do that on fountain pen network or /r/fountainpens.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Hat And Beard on March 28, 2017, 01:00:21 PM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008GKDJ

Hoping to use this bad boy soon for shakshuka and the like

I have an entire set of those cast iron pans. Every size. Given to me. We use them for Everything!  That one is beautiful!
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Prayerful

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 28, 2017, 05:35:42 PM

Also, people actually do that on fountain pen network or /r/fountainpens.

That's a bit too fedora for me. :lol:

@moneil

Mgsr Knox provided a very fine and literate translation. The original D-R stuffed as it is with notes in service of Catholic Truth, and with a good deal of carefully translation by Fr Gregory Martin SJ, has merits, but isn't the most readable, or at least less readable than the Challoner revision. It is a shame, though, that the original is a bit hard to find (ChurchLatin.com do a facsimile, for example). I hope to get Trials too.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

MilesChristi

Picked up a Confraternity Bible and an old Biography of Pope Pius X from a Thrift Shop.

Bible still had Holy Cards inside
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.