Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carleendiane

Akavit, I  have a feeling your tools, implements would make Bill the Builder, my oldest son, drool.He has a lot, but from time to time has to rent a machine or special implement. You are rich with all a builder would want!
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Deirdre

1.5" and 2" nylon webbing, for the leather bag's straps. I had considered leather, but I think nylon will be better: lighter weight, and probably sturdier. It's dark red, to match the stitching.  ;D
My Lord and my God.

Akavit

Quote from: Carleendiane on February 15, 2017, 10:25:20 AM
Akavit, I  have a feeling your tools, implements would make Bill the Builder, my oldest son, drool.He has a lot, but from time to time has to rent a machine or special implement. You are rich with all a builder would want!

Meant to respond earlier but owning all these tools means people keep asking me to use them!  But yes, every tool guy that sees my shop drools over it.  It's not so much the tools themselves as it is the way they're setup and easy to access and use.  Almost everything I own is refurbished Craigslist stuff or machines that were built by myself or past business associates.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Akavit on February 18, 2017, 12:13:34 AM
Quote from: Carleendiane on February 15, 2017, 10:25:20 AM

Meant to respond earlier but owning all these tools means people keep asking me to use them!  But yes, every tool guy that sees my shop drools over it.  It's not so much the tools themselves as it is the way they're setup and easy to access and use.  Almost everything I own is refurbished Craigslist stuff or machines that were built by myself or past business associates.

You sound and operate like my son. Every tool has a place on his homemade tool racks. Everything accessible for building or car repair. Our garage is his haven. He took it over when he came back to raise animals and help with the farm. He refurbishes Craigslist items. Buys most good quality tools used. He has a handsome array of tools and machinish type things. Organization is the key to less tension and anxiety. People come to him for everything from car repair to marble and tile installment. He enjoys making bunk beds as much as building a new garage. Never needed anything but word of mouth, with repeat customers. I think you two would hit it off.

Do you sing? He is a fantastic tenor. If I may say so myself ;)
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Carleendiane

Two new pair of shoes. New run/walk shoes. Saucony and New Balance. Socks too :)

Akavit

Quote from: Carleendiane on February 18, 2017, 12:57:53 PM
Do you sing? He is a fantastic tenor. If I may say so myself ;)

No. I don't have a natural ear for music.  Though I could learn, I'd have to do everything the slow, hard way which would mean first learning to read music until I could comprehend it as easily as English.  Then I'd need to undergo extensive voice-training so I could understand the relation of my own voice to musical notation.  Since I don't have a strong interest in music, I don't have enough enthusiasm to spend that much time and money on music-related skills.  Also, I'm extraordinarily picky about voices and don't have any interest in song unless performed by the best of the best.  Nana Mouskouri, Nathan Gunn, Vitas or Evgenia could probably get my attention (if singing the right song) but anything short of that loses my interest.

Akavit

An AXYZ CNC router!  It's not my dream machine (no auto tool-changer) but it's pretty close and cost a whole lot less.  All this time I've spent scouring the country for a decent, used machine and I find out someone 5 miles distant has been wanting to get rid of one for awhile.  My homemade machine has been getting worked far harder than it was ever designed to do and the new one should handle the jobs with ease.

This isn't my machine but it's similar.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV2tJOZaV1Q[/yt]

Der Polka-König

Not something I bought per se, but acquired. After Mass, Father gave me a set of the Opera omnia Sancti Augustini. He already has the complete works of Augustine (he did an advanced degree in Patristics, concentration on St Augustine), and someone gave these to him, so he passed them on to me. These are old, for the most part in good shape except for some cosmetic damage, and massive, as can be seen by the way they dwarf my Baronius Press Missal.

The volumes are collected from the editions maintained by the French Benedictines of St Maur (who, sadly, later turned modernist and were suppressed), and were printed in Paris in 1841-42.

The paper is definitely used and well-aged, but the bindings are still tight, and the text is still plenty clean.

Interesting Father should happen to give me these right when I was starting to feel a strong attraction to the charism of the Augustinian Canons.....
"The Modernists pass the same judgment on the most holy Fathers of the Church as they pass on tradition; decreeing, with amazing effrontery that, while personally most worthy of all veneration, they were entirely ignorant of history and criticism, for which they are only excusable on account of the time in which they lived. Finally, the Modernists try in every way to diminish and weaken the authority of the ecclesiastical magisterium itself by sacrilegiously falsifying its origin, character, and rights, and by freely repeating the calumnies of its adversaries."

-- St Pius X, Pascendi Dominici Gregis

Deirdre

^ This right here is why I'm actually sort of glad that I can't productively study Latin independently. I'd have soooo many more books, if I ever reached a decent level of proficiency.  :lol: God sure knows what He's doing, even in the smallest things, huh?  ;)
My Lord and my God.

Carleendiane

2 bottles of morphine. Senakote. Bandages.

dymphna17

First came this - DJI Phantom P3-STANDARD Quadcopter Drone with 2.7K HD Video Camera

Then we had to have a Tablet computer - all the better to see you with, my dear...   

Now, we're on to this - Tzumi Dream Vision Virtual Reality - Dream Vision Virtual Reality Smartphone Headset with earbuds.

Yes, this should be interesting all right...
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Deirdre

Look at you! Gettin' all high-tech and...and stuff.  :P
My Lord and my God.

dymphna17

Quote from: Bernadette on March 05, 2017, 11:29:45 PM
Look at you! Gettin' all high-tech and...and stuff.  :P

Yes, it's going to make jumping off that high-rise really very interesting.  The virtual reality goggles are very weird.  At first they made me sick to my stomach.  But then I just kept doing it, so it's not as bad.   8)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Deirdre

Bought a surprise gift for my aunt: Harry & David pears, with some snack mix (and I think something else?) She loves those pears. And she loves snack mix, as a general rule, so I'm pretty hopeful about this going over well.  :thumbsup:

And..um...a little something for me, which I'll save for Easter, since I don't think I'll be picking the coffee back up then. A little...consolation prize, so to speak.
My Lord and my God.

angelcookie

Awhile back I bought this zojurushi griddle and it's been wonderful. Really cuts down on time and clean up with one giant pan.