Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deirdre

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on January 22, 2017, 09:38:35 PM

Do you have a picture of what you have in mind?

But with only two main compartments: the two back ones will be combined into one huge one (big enough to fit my boots when I change my shoes on Sunday after walking to church), and the front one will hold my tablet and other things. And I'll scale down the overall length and height a little, because all I really need is depth. And I've ordered red thread. For a little pop. ;)
My Lord and my God.

MundaCorMeum

It's lovely!  I do love bold stitching on leather.  Is that the color of your leather, too?

Deirdre

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on January 23, 2017, 07:20:18 PM
It's lovely!  I do love bold stitching on leather.  Is that the color of your leather, too?

I've drooled over it for a long time.  :P I haven't seen the actual leather yet, but it's tanned the same way, and is undyed like that one (supposedly) is. So I'm hoping that it will be close. Undyed veg-tanned leather is supposed to darken over time, as it's oiled and used. I'm super excited about this project!  ;D I just hope that I can do a decent job of cutting the leather: It's been a while since I've done it.
My Lord and my God.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Bernadette on January 23, 2017, 07:27:07 PM

I've drooled over it for a long time.  :P I haven't seen the actual leather yet, but it's tanned the same way, and is undyed like that one (supposedly) is. So I'm hoping that it will be close. Undyed veg-tanned leather is supposed to darken over time, as it's oiled and used. I'm super excited about this project!  ;D I just hope that I can do a decent job of cutting the leather: It's been a while since I've done it.
wow bird. That is wonderful. Sure hope your plans for it can be done to your expectations! What does veg tanned mean...vegetable oil?
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Deirdre

From Wikipedia:

QuoteVegetable-tanned leather is tanned using tannins and other ingredients found in different vegetable matter, such as tree bark prepared in bark mills, wood, leaves, fruits, and roots. It is supple and brown in color, with the exact shade depending on the mix of chemicals and the color of the skin.
My Lord and my God.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Bernadette on January 23, 2017, 09:15:03 PM
From Wikipedia:

QuoteVegetable-tanned leather is tanned using tannins and other ingredients found in different vegetable matter, such as tree bark prepared in bark mills, wood, leaves, fruits, and roots. It is supple and brown in color, with the exact shade depending on the mix of chemicals and the color of the skin.

I like the backpack option. Sometimes while out I would use that. My purse is too small inside. From outside it looks like medium size. But it seems small in size inside.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Bernadette on January 23, 2017, 07:27:07 PM

Good luck!  I hope you share the finished product with us.  Are you a notebook/journal person?  You could make a matching leather notebook cover.   leather notebook covers, full of lots of notebooks, are just wonderful.

Deirdre

Quote from: Carleendiane on January 23, 2017, 09:31:10 PM
I like the backpack option. Sometimes while out I would use that. My purse is too small inside. From outside it looks like medium size. But it seems small in size inside.

I realized years ago that I had to have a backpack option. I'm so absent-minded that if my purse isn't attached to me, I'll leave it somewhere.  :-[ And backpacks are just so much more convenient when you're out: leaves the hands free. And I'm clumsy, so if it's on my back there's less worrying about whether I'm going to knock something over when I'm trying to move in a small space. And it's just more comfortable for me, which is a big selling point. ;)

Edit: The leather's coming today;D I didn't expect it anywhere near this soon!
My Lord and my God.

dymphna17

I just received in the mail, the rosary that was made with the flowers from my Mom's funeral.

So they went from this;

To this:
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: dymphna17 on January 25, 2017, 04:49:07 PM
I just received in the mail, the rosary that was made with the flowers from my Mom's funeral.

So they went from this;

To this:

I had no idea you could even do this.  It's beautiful! 

Carleendiane

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on January 25, 2017, 04:52:11 PM

So they went from this;

To this:

Was that done by a friend? How did you have that done dymph? Just beautiful. What a wonderful idea!

Obrien

So they went from this;

To this:

Do they smell of roses like the St. Therese rosaries?

Bonaventure

A Ruger LCR. Great for pocket carry.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

dymphna17

Quote from: Carleendiane on January 25, 2017, 09:38:37 PM
Quote from: MundaCorMeum on January 25, 2017, 04:52:11 PM

So they went from this;

To this:

Was that done by a friend? How did you have that done dymph? Just beautiful. What a wonderful idea!

When my SIL +RIP+ died last year, someone sent my MIL the name and web address to the company 'To Remember' that does this: 

To Remember
http://torememberroses.com/index.htm

My MIL got each of the kids a rosary and each of the grandchildren either a rosary bracelet or a tie tack.  It does smell a little bit like roses, but not alot.  I had a St Therese rose rosary that smelled like them alot more.  It was processed a little different than this.  This has a protective coating on it so the beads won't fall apart like they did on my other one.  The flowers making these beads are more precious to the person who bought the rosary because of where the flowers came from.  I can't think of a better way to commemorate such a passing.  Just to add, the bulk of my SIL's funeral flowers were yellow.  They try to stay as close to the color of the main flowers unless you specify a different color.  The lady who runs the company is super nice.  When you call, she's the one who answers the phone and your questions.  Can't recommend them enough.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."