Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akavit

Quote from: moneil on January 01, 2017, 07:45:30 PM
Carhartt is the best!  I received to pair of Carharrt work pants for Christmas :).

I like them but Filson looks interesting too.  I've never seen their products in person though and the local Farm and Fleet carries Carhartt which is convenient.  They used to have a Sorel coat that was superb but when I went to get one, they'd dropped it from their shelves.  I liked the Sorel a little better (heavier insulation) but I've been happy with the Carhartt coat I ended up with. Though it's not as well insulated, it's roomy enough to permit layering.

Carleendiane

Sorel boots lasted forever. They still make em?
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Akavit

I think so.  I haven't seen them for awhile but noticed the brand while in Canada and the upper peninsula of Michigan a few years back.  I think they are too bulky for the fashion-conscious Chicagoan that prefers to shiver while looking cool in form-fitting jackets.  Most people seem to dress just warm enough to get between the car and indoors.  I wear pretty heavy winter-wear but even that's inadequate for long-term outdoor exposure.  I once tried to help an uncle free his car at his rural home.  That wind cut through me within minutes and we had to give up and leave.  Not much in the way of wind-breaks on harvested cornfield.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Akavit on January 01, 2017, 08:14:07 PM
I think so.  I haven't seen them for awhile but noticed the brand while in Canada and the upper peninsula of Michigan a few years back.  I think they are too bulky for the fashion-conscious Chicagoan that prefers to shiver while looking cool in form-fitting jackets.  Most people seem to dress just warm enough to get between the car and indoors.  I wear pretty heavy winter-wear but even that's inadequate for long-term outdoor exposure.  I once tried to help an uncle free his car at his rural home.  That wind cut through me within minutes and we had to give up and leave.  Not much in the way of wind-breaks on harvested cornfield.

Imean in Hillsdale county and that is exactly what we are surrounded with cornfields, wheat fields, soybean fields. Yup, nothing to stop the wind where I am.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

moneil

Quote from: Prayerful on December 30, 2016, 01:10:44 PM
It is a well made book, beautifully done book, but some previous owner appears to have cut all the marker ribbons :o, which means strips of paper or something similar. SLiMG is excellent. I once used Imageshack and still have a large album there, but cannot use it now for new images, unless I register and pay.

I've purchased a couple of old prayer books and a Roman Briviary (the all in one volume, all English edition published by Benziger in 1964) that needed new ribbons.  Some Catholic supply shops sell replacement ribbon sets but they are also fairly easy to make.

I bought spools of ribbon at Jo-Ann's in different colors (1/4" and 3/8" widths, to suit the particular book).  As I am frugal (mom says "cheap") I would wait until the ribbon section was on sale or used my Jo-Ann's 40% off one item to buy a spool, so it took me awhile to assemble the assortment of ribbon colors.  With that said a roll of ribbon (6 - 10 yards) is about $3.00.

I then use a "material" that is stiff but not not rigid, white and 1" in width purchased by the length from Jo-Ann's.  I "think" it is for "belt lining" but I can't remember what it is called (I will be at the local Jo-Ann's this coming Wednesday and could look if anyone is interested in the item name).  I am continuing to search for the ideal "tab" for making a ribbon set but until I find that this material works.  I cut a 1" or 1-1/2" length and trim the width if needed.  I then tack glue one end of the cut ribbon lengths to the tab.  I stitch the ribbons to the tab with my sewing machine but that is probable not necessary if a good adhesive is used, or one could do a single row stitch across the ribbons with a hand needle and thread.  To keep the other ribbon ends from fraying I use Dritz Fray Check (available at Jo-Ann's) but a clear drying glue sparsely applied would do the same thing.

Insert the tab into the the spine of the book and it has a ribbon set!

moneil

Quote from: Carleendiane on January 01, 2017, 08:07:20 PM

Defiantly, I saw the brand at Ranch and Home in Pasco / Kennewick WA (part of what is known as the Tri-Cities in SE WA) and at Tri-State in Moscow, ID when I was recently shopping for new work boots.  I was shopping for a "year round" boot (with room for heavy socks) and I work with dairy cows so I wear rubber slip on overshoes over the boot ... all day in manure is "death" to leather, even with good care and lots of boot cream.   

Carleendiane

Quote from: moneil on January 01, 2017, 09:20:09 PM
Quote from: Carleendiane on January 01, 2017, 08:07:20 PM

Defiantly, I saw the brand at Ranch and Home in Pasco / Kennewick WA (part of what is known as the Tri-Cities in SE WA) and at Tri-State in Moscow, ID when I was recently shopping for new work boots.  I was shopping for a "year round" boot (with room for heavy socks) and I work with dairy cows so I wear rubber slip on overshoes over the boot ... all day in manure is "death" to leather, even with good care and lots of boot cream.   

Thanks Moneil. Good to know. I am on a pebble poop farm. Sheep, so the threat is not as serious to leather. I'm glad you chimed in. How did your electric breakdown get resolved?

Prayerful

Quote from: moneil on January 01, 2017, 08:57:36 PM
Quote from: Prayerful on December 30, 2016, 01:10:44 PM
It is a well made book, beautifully done book, but some previous owner appears to have cut all the marker ribbons :o, which means strips of paper or something similar. SLiMG is excellent. I once used Imageshack and still have a large album there, but cannot use it now for new images, unless I register and pay.

I've purchased a couple of old prayer books and a Roman Briviary (the all in one volume, all English edition published by Benziger in 1964) that needed new ribbons.  Some Catholic supply shops sell replacement ribbon sets but they are also fairly easy to make.

I bought spools of ribbon at Jo-Ann's in different colors (1/4" and 3/8" widths, to suit the particular book).  As I am frugal (mom says "cheap") I would wait until the ribbon section was on sale or used my Jo-Ann's 40% off one item to buy a spool, so it took me awhile to assemble the assortment of ribbon colors.  With that said a roll of ribbon (6 - 10 yards) is about $3.00.

I then use a "material" that is stiff but not not rigid, white and 1" in width purchased by the length from Jo-Ann's.  I "think" it is for "belt lining" but I can't remember what it is called (I will be at the local Jo-Ann's this coming Wednesday and could look if anyone is interested in the item name).  I am continuing to search for the ideal "tab" for making a ribbon set but until I find that this material works.  I cut a 1" or 1-1/2" length and trim the width if needed.  I then tack glue one end of the cut ribbon lengths to the tab.  I stitch the ribbons to the tab with my sewing machine but that is probable not necessary if a good adhesive is used, or one could do a single row stitch across the ribbons with a hand needle and thread.  To keep the other ribbon ends from fraying I use Dritz Fray Check (available at Jo-Ann's) but a clear drying glue sparsely applied would do the same thing.

Insert the tab into the the spine of the book and it has a ribbon set!

Thanks, strips of paper aren't ideals.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

MundaCorMeum

100 hooks, to go on the craft peg board my husband installed above the craft table he made me for Christmas. 

Prayerful

The Holy Bible Douay Rheims Version (actually Bp Challoner version which it states in the intro)/Biblia Sacra, Iuxta Vulgatam Clementiam, English-Latin Bible side-by-side, Baronius Press.

edit: some chalk for today. Noticed I had none.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

piabee

Sweaters on sweaters. The sales have been kind.

Deirdre

Everyone, meet Theodore (the name on his hangtag):

Look at that face! That fat huggability. I couldn't have put my ebay giftcard balance to a better use. Plus, he was ridiculously cheap, compared to other sellers' prices.
My Lord and my God.

MilesChristi

Way too many books. My excuse was that I was at Goodwill, and I found some interesting books at one of those outdoor boxes.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on January 08, 2017, 03:19:32 PM
Everyone, meet Theodore (the name on his hangtag):

Look at that face! That fat huggability. I couldn't have put my ebay giftcard balance to a better use. Plus, he was ridiculously cheap, compared to other sellers' prices.

He is cute!!
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

piabee