Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich Von Lichtenstein

Quote from: Chestertonian on September 30, 2016, 07:58:48 AM

I have a savinelli as well, not the autograph I think it is over of their cheaper ones.  Also my dad's collection of pipes.. maybe my sons will enjoy them one day

Well looked after pipes do make fantastic heirlooms.

Heinrich

We got a new dog at one of those rescues who sucker suckers into buying little, pathetic creature who are hard to resist. We named her "Pumpkin."
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Deirdre

Quote from: Heinrich on October 01, 2016, 06:49:43 PM
We got a new dog at one of those rescues who sucker suckers into buying little, pathetic creature who are hard to resist. We named her "Pumpkin."

We found a stray dog today, walking along the highway. Poor guy's got terrible scars all over him, like he was attacked by something. Such a little sweetie, though: very gentle and affectionate. But my aunt absolutely refuses to have another dog, so he's going to a shelter on Monday.  :'(
My Lord and my God.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Prayerful

Praelectiones Theologicae de Deo et Divinis Attributis

edit: I think the author is Rev Dr Honoré Tournély, author of several works against the Jansenists, who laboured hard to get acceptance of Clement XI's Unigenitum among French clergy.

ex libris St John's College Waterford (closed 1999, now used as diocesan offices and accomodation for older people)

It is in a fragile state, but it is an original book of systematic theology with 's' shaped like 'f'. Perhaps it might be megalomania, but I could use it to revive my knowledge of Latin, ie take a sentence and parse it. :lol:

St Anthony's Treasury: A Manual of Devotions

I wonder did it belong to Brother Anastasius of Jesus (Denis Smyth), professed at De La Salle College, Waterford, Sunday, 31st July 1949? It's full of prayer cards, from a Redemptorist Mission of 1926 in Cootehill Cavan, to a prayer on the occasion of the canonisation of Pope St Pius X.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Lynne

Quote from: Prayerful on October 13, 2016, 04:53:15 AM

St Anthony's Treasury: A Manual of Devotions

I wonder did it belong to Brother Anastasius of Jesus (Denis Smyth), professed at De La Salle College, Waterford, Sunday, 31st July 1949? It's full of prayer cards, from a Redemptorist Mission of 1926 in Cootehill Cavan, to a prayer on the occasion of the canonisation of Pope St Pius X.

Ooo, sounds lovely.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Carleendiane

Haven't made the purchase, but, looking at a church for sale. Needs work. Has been neglected. Who knows. God may fill it.

On a  less interesting note, went goodwilling, bought some very classy boots. Some shoes, 4 skirts  3 sweaters and head scarves for church. All in top condition. Time to clean out the closet. And shrimp at Applebees.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Deirdre

I need to go church-clothes shopping. My blouses are starting to look sort of...ratty. I'm dreading it.  :-\
My Lord and my God.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Bernadette on October 13, 2016, 07:50:16 AM
I need to go church-clothes shopping. My blouses are starting to look sort of...ratty. I'm dreading it.  :-\

We have a salvation army in Hillsdale that has some of the nicest clothing. Hillsdale is a relatively wealthy town and it shows at their second hand stores.Just keep your eyes on quality fabrics, color and make. I have learned not to look at everthing. I can zoom in on quality like a bird of prey. It is my favorite game. Again, the thrill of the hunt!
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Lynne

Quote from: Carleendiane on October 13, 2016, 08:05:18 AM

We have a salvation army in Hillsdale that has some of the nicest clothing. Hillsdale is a relatively wealthy town and it shows at their second hand stores.Just keep your eyes on quality fabrics, color and make. I have learned not to look at everthing. I can zoom in on quality like a bird of prey. It is my favorite game. Again, the thrill of the hunt!

I wish I could go shopping with you. Next time I'm in Michigan.  ::)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

YeOldeFustilarians

I inadvertently bought a Hulu subscription.  That was interesting. 
Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.

maryslittlegarden

I love thrift shops.  Sadly, we don't have a Salvation Army shop anymore up here.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Carleendiane

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on October 13, 2016, 10:10:45 AM

I love thrift shops.  Sadly, we don't have a Salvation Army shop anymore up here.

MLG, I would truly love to shop with you! I rarely get to shop with women. Usually with husband who gets a little antsy waiting until I'm done.  At least he gets to sit in car and play his harps! This is helpful. Come to michigan, I'll show you around!

dymphna17

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on October 13, 2016, 10:10:45 AM

No Salvation Army?  My Grandmother is rolling in her grave!  She loved that store.  She bought her antique Singer sewing machine there.  You know, the kind with the foot pedal.  I wonder why they closed it.  Do you know, MLG?  I would think that Fargo is definitely big enough to have a demand for it.  Oh, well.  Now you have Michigan to look forward to!   ;)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica