Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Pheo

Update on the Excalibur dehydrator.  I've been using it pretty much constantly since I got it - does a great job and dries things really evenly.  Some people online talk about rotating the trays, but I haven't found that to be necessary.  I've only done fruits and veggies so far, but it's performing consistently well.  And come to think of it, my cayennes are almost dry enough to pulverize into painful/delicious powder.

Some people complain about the noise of the fan,  but I barely even notice it (no, I don't have any hearing loss).  As far as I can tell, it's quieter than any microwave.

I don't mind leaving fruits/veg running while I'm out, but I want to be home to try jerky making.  Only takes a few hours, but I'll have to learn how to time it.  Hopefully I'll be able to try a batch this weekend.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

drummerboy

- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Akavit

Why not just eat the peppers raw?  It's tastier and more macho.  Muy mucho macho.

drummerboy

Quote from: Akavit on October 06, 2014, 08:43:06 PM
Why not just eat the peppers raw?  It's tastier and more macho.  Muy mucho macho.

Can't put them into my cooking, and I want them for the medicinal effects.  Most health problems associated with diabetes are related to poor circulation, and cayenne helps improve circulation and prevent clotting.  I don't have any problem yet, but I get the capsules from Puritans Pride which is really cheap, so I think of them as really cheap insurance.

Rose

Quote from: drummerboy on October 07, 2014, 09:38:34 AM

Can't put them into my cooking, and I want them for the medicinal effects.  Most health problems associated with diabetes are related to poor circulation, and cayenne helps improve circulation and prevent clotting.  I don't have any problem yet, but I get the capsules from Puritans Pride which is really cheap, so I think of them as really cheap insurance.

...and capsicum, from the seeds of peppers (especially chillis) is supposed to be good for warding off colds and keeping the immune system going.
To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Chestertonian

interesting

maybe that is why i always used to crave spicy food

I will have to look into those for my son when he's older
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Deirdre

My dad used to do this. He loved eating those little tiny green ones that you can find in the grocery store, about the size of your pinkie. Can't do it anymore, though, since he has diverticulitis.
My Lord and my God.

Arun

Quote from: Rose on October 07, 2014, 09:47:31 AM

...and capsicum, from the seeds of peppers (especially chillis) is supposed to be good for warding off colds and keeping the immune system going.

do you mean capsaicin?

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

drummerboy

Quote from: Chestertonian on October 07, 2014, 11:45:22 AM

interesting

maybe that is why i always used to crave spicy food

I will have to look into those for my son when he's older

Sometimes the body just knows what it needs!

moneil

Quote from: Pheo on October 06, 2014, 07:00:54 PM
Update on the Excalibur dehydrator.  I've been using it pretty much constantly since I got it - does a great job and dries things really evenly.  Some people online talk about rotating the trays, but I haven't found that to be necessary.  I've only done fruits and veggies so far, but it's performing consistently well.  And come to think of it, my cayennes are almost dry enough to pulverize into painful/delicious powder.

Some people complain about the noise of the fan,  but I barely even notice it (no, I don't have any hearing loss).  As far as I can tell, it's quieter than any microwave.

I don't mind leaving fruits/veg running while I'm out, but I want to be home to try jerky making.  Only takes a few hours, but I'll have to learn how to time it.  Hopefully I'll be able to try a batch this weekend.

My mother at the family farm has a dehydrator that she purchased many years ago (back in the 1970's I'm thinking).  Like a lot of people with a "new attraction", we used it a lot at first (mostly for fruits, but I'm not a big fruit eater so there wasn't much enticement for me), then usage fell off and it sat on a shelf for many years.  Mum really likes beef jerky, which is rather pricey "store bought".  About 3 years ago when I ran across some cheap (USDA Grade Standard) roasts on sale (the lower grades have less marbling, which is desirable for jerky, IMHO) I had the bright idea to make jerky for her, and have been doing so about every couple of months since.  We also have a meat slicer that mom bought for some reason, so I prefer buy whole roasts so I can trim excess fat off the perimeter, then slice - one get's a less "greasy" product that way.  Mom will sometimes buy meat for me to use and have the meat market slice it, but the trimming is more work that way, in my opinion.

Anyways, our dehydrator (I have no idea of the brand and it is 116 miles away so I can't go look) has a recipe book which indicated 12 hours for jerky.  A couple of time when I set things up and went back home they forgot to shut it off at the appointed time and left it to run over night (so like an additional 8 hours), which has never seemed to affect the quality of the final product.

Rose

Quote from: Arun on October 07, 2014, 04:03:36 PM
Quote from: Rose on October 07, 2014, 09:47:31 AM

do you mean capsaicin?

Arun is the first to spot my deliberate mistake- well done sir!  :grin:
To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Pheo

Quote from: moneil on October 08, 2014, 09:56:36 PM
Anyways, our dehydrator (I have no idea of the brand and it is 116 miles away so I can't go look) has a recipe book which indicated 12 hours for jerky.  A couple of time when I set things up and went back home they forgot to shut it off at the appointed time and left it to run over night (so like an additional 8 hours), which has never seemed to affect the quality of the final product.

I'm glad to hear it's still being used...even if only a little!  I've actually been dehydrating things in my oven as part of my normal routine for the past couple years, but I wanted something that could give me more predictable results.  I also make a lot of yogurt at home, so this replaces a yogurt maker for thermophilic cultures.

As far as the timing of jerky goes, that's interesting.  Most recipes I've seen online and even in my recipe booklet say it should be ready in a few hours.  It's going to depend on the thickness, temperature, and whether or not your dehydrator has a fan though.  The Excalibur is a pretty robust machine, and it's been pretty true to the timings given so far.  I've barely shut the thing off though.  Hopefully I don't have to test out the warranty.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Deirdre

Moneil, how do you cook the meat before you dry it? Roast it?
My Lord and my God.

Arun

Quote from: Bernadette on October 09, 2014, 07:22:20 PM
Moneil, how do you cook the meat before you dry it? Roast it?

when i make jerky in the oven i don't cook it at all. marinate it for at least 24hrs then season and stick it in the oven on low overnight.

i prefer cold smoking or fermenting meats now though.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih