Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rose

I bought some teal wellies for a field trip where I'll be tramping through a forest with a student. Then I found a nice teal sweater dress to wear with the wellies, because I just can't bring myself to wear waterproof trousers and a fleece top unless I absolutely have to  :o Looks a bit Glastonbury but it'll do.
To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Lynne

Quote from: Rose on September 25, 2014, 11:31:48 AM
I bought some teal wellies for a field trip where I'll be tramping through a forest with a student. Then I found a nice teal sweater dress to wear with the wellies, because I just can't bring myself to wear waterproof trousers and a fleece top unless I absolutely have to  :o Looks a bit Glastonbury but it'll do.

For you Americans, wellies = Wellingtons, a type of boot. :p
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

LouisIX

What does it mean to look a little bit Glastonbury?
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Pheo

Quote from: Daniel on September 23, 2014, 07:36:50 PMIt's a textbook-sized 5-volume photocopy of the original Douay Rheims Bible (not the Challoner revision).  It was kind of expensive but I really needed a hard copy.

Nice, I've looked at the scans a few times now.  What do you need it for?
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Rose

Quote from: LouisIX on September 25, 2014, 12:43:19 PM
What does it mean to look a little bit Glastonbury?

Glastonbury festival is a big music festival here held every year. It's famous for getting very muddy, so a lot of women wear dresses and wellies. You probably know the Hunter brand more in the US.
To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

LouisIX

IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Deirdre

Quote from: Lynne on September 25, 2014, 12:08:41 PM
Quote from: Rose on September 25, 2014, 11:31:48 AM

For you Americans, wellies = Wellingtons, a type of boot. :p
;D

Like Paddington!  ;D
My Lord and my God.

Gardener

Yeah. Finally have a vehicle again after the civic was totalled-while-parked (thanks DUI driver!). It's a 1999 Montero, lifted 2", 35" tires, ARB bumper, uber winch, and spray painted desert/high desert camo.

God help me.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Chestertonian

Quote from: Gardener on September 26, 2014, 11:14:14 AM
Yeah. Finally have a vehicle again after the civic was totalled-while-parked (thanks DUI driver!). It's a 1999 Montero, lifted 2", 35" tires, ARB bumper, uber winch, and spray painted desert/high desert camo.

God help me.
Is that an SUV?
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Daniel

Quote from: Pheo on September 25, 2014, 12:48:52 PM
Quote from: Daniel on September 23, 2014, 07:36:50 PMIt's a textbook-sized 5-volume photocopy of the original Douay Rheims Bible (not the Challoner revision).  It was kind of expensive but I really needed a hard copy.

Nice, I've looked at the scans a few times now.  What do you need it for?
Just to read it.  Before I bought it, I didn't own a hard copy of the Bible (I had been reading the Bible digitally, mostly through http://drbo.org, but I prefer using a hard copy, so I began printing individual pages, but I figured I should just buy one).  So anyway, I chose to buy this one because it seemed just as good as the Challoner (maybe even better) and I really don't have a problem with the archaic typography style.  One good thing about this version is that it has extensive notes in many of the chapters.  And it has timelines and charts and all sorts of other extra stuff.  The downside is that it's a facsimile so some of the text can be a little blurred and difficult to read (especially some of the notes that are at a smaller font size).

Is it appropriate to have the Bible blessed by a priest?

Chestertonian

If there's a blessing for beer there could be a blessing for a bible
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Pheo

Excalibur 9-tray dehydrator, in time to do some test batches for venison jerky.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Gardener

Quote from: Pheo on September 27, 2014, 04:36:00 PM

which sub-model did you go with? Deluxe? Regular?

Looking forward to your report on this!
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Pheo

Quote from: Gardener on September 28, 2014, 08:30:14 AM

which sub-model did you go with? Deluxe? Regular?

Looking forward to your report on this!

The 3900B.  So upgraded electrical components vs the 2900, but no built-in timer - I couldn't justify the extra $60 or so (I think it's less of a difference in the States).  I already have one of those outdoor plug timers so I'll just use that if I think I'll be away when the dehydrator has to be turned off.

It'll probably get here late next week, but I'll let you know how the first batch goes!

Arun

yum

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih