Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orate

Quote from: The Curt Jester on May 04, 2014, 12:31:43 PM

Good luck taking it anywhere.  Just about every business I walk into seems to have one of those "No Guns Allowed" signs posted.  Okay, so maybe that's an exaggeration, but I do tend to notice those places more than the ones that don't.  Oh, and I think they are forbidden at local parks, too.   That means you can carry it with you from your house to your car.

Pretty much.....But like I said, I want my Concealed Carry license for the principal of it.  Illinois was the last (state) hold-out for CC, so I want them crooked hypocritical politicians--you know the ones with body guards who don't want the ordinary citizen to be able to protect himself---to know that I want my 2nd amendment rights.

I hope to never have to use the gun on a human being, tho.
I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

Arun

Quote from: orate on May 04, 2014, 01:23:46 PM

its cheaper than a credit card...

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

piabee

A lamp.

Wedding shower invitations.

Quote from: piabee on March 25, 2014, 11:53:52 AM
I've been spending too much time and money troving the Etsy vintage section. I will post a pic when everything gets here.

Quoting myself always feels pompous.

eta: Also boots. Piperlime FINALLY had a sale that didn't exclude Frye.

drummerboy

Quote from: orate on May 04, 2014, 01:23:46 PM
Quote from: The Curt Jester on May 04, 2014, 12:31:43 PM

Good luck taking it anywhere.  Just about every business I walk into seems to have one of those "No Guns Allowed" signs posted.  Okay, so maybe that's an exaggeration, but I do tend to notice those places more than the ones that don't.  Oh, and I think they are forbidden at local parks, too.   That means you can carry it with you from your house to your car.

Pretty much.....But like I said, I want my Concealed Carry license for the principal of it.  Illinois was the last (state) hold-out for CC, so I want them crooked hypocritical politicians--you know the ones with body guards who don't want the ordinary citizen to be able to protect himself---to know that I want my 2nd amendment rights.

Well here arises the old debate of "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Chances are good you'll never have to use that gun.  If you do, yeah, you might get in trouble for carrying it where you shouldn't be, but you're alive.  And you're a woman: you have less to worry about legally (a jury might let you go easier), whereas me, a 22 year man - no way in hell I'd get off the hook in that scenario. 

And its called "concealed carry" for a reason - no one should know you're carrying until Mr. Kimber comes out ablaze in thunder and glory
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Dom Passerini

a sparrow all alone on the housetop

moneil

A new mattress (10 inch memory foam)!  After slipping a disc (fortunately not herniated or otherwise damaged) tossing straw bales at work about 3 years a go, and subsequently irritating it (L5) and another one (L2) a few times since (always associated with sharp sudden twists of the torso rather than lifting), and about to commence my 63rd year of the earthly pilgrimage next month (God willing) I decided I maybe could appreciate a good mattress.  For most of my life I could almost literally "fall asleep laying on rocks" and have always bought inexpensive bedding (St. Vincent DePaul Society thrift shops often carry decent "hotel cast offs" at an attractive price).

I had NO idea how expensive mattresses could be, especially the memory foam ones rather than coil spring, which my research suggested woud be a good option.  Spent a lot of time trying out different mattresses at the local shops (I discovered there are big differences in how they feel so in the current context I couldn't imagine ordering one without having layed on it).

While I do my fair share of online shopping I have also periodically ranted about the value of supporting local merchants (who were indispensible to mattress research, since they had the bed displays I could try out).  After deciding on a "best value for me, my back, and my budget" I did some further price research and found I could order it online for $100 less, shipping included.  I'm not so good at negotiating but I did work in 100% commission sales for 10 years and the most frustrating thing about that was not loosing a sale but when a prospect hadn't given me the opportunity to compete.  So I printed out the on line offer and asked the local shop if they might consider meeting me half way on the price difference.  They matched the on line price!  WIN / WIN  :)

As a sidebar, and referencing the "Do you lift?" thread http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=3466.0;topicseen, everytime I've subsequently "tossed out my back" (the slipped disc incident three years ago was the first time I've ever had back issues) the discomfort has always been less and the recovery time has always been quicker.  This makes me believe that my routine of dead lifts and squats (265 lbs. for lifts, 185 lbs. for squats SO FAR), plus other core conditioning work is paying big dividends.

Anyways, this is the mattress I selected: http://biossleepsystem.com/foam-mattress/performance-foam-mattress-half.html.  This company is not one of the better known brand names but their product is 100% U.S. manufactured and they appear to be one of the few mattress companies that also manufacture their own memory foam.

Elizabeth

BAM I found a mint condition Chaplet of St. Michael CD at the thrift store for very little $.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

piabee

Snagged the last bag of anniversary blend beans from my local Peet's.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Deirdre

Pair of Doctor Matren's sandals (since my old sandals gave out after 1.5 years. Brand X huaraches on sale- not a very good investment). These are the most comfortable shoes I've ever had. I'm going to need a pair of lace-ups for winter.  :D
My Lord and my God.

The Curt Jester

The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

drummerboy

Fontanini 4" statue of OL of Guadalupe, and some medals of OL of Good Help
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

piabee

I didn't buy it but my little brother gave me a very nice turntable that he brought back from Tacoma. Apparently all the hipster college kids just hand them out when they graduate and move home.

OCLittleFlower

I enrolled in a cake decorating class, and purchased the kit and textbook.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.