What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin88nyc

"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Bernadette

I'm considering 1Q84, by Murakami. I'm worried that it might be too weird for me, though. Anybody read it?
My Lord and my God.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: martin88nyc on December 25, 2019, 08:17:39 PM
I got mine here for around 200$. It's soft cover
https://www.traditionalcatholicpublishing.com/liturgical-year.html
I owned those books for a while, and they are really great; unfortunately the only thing I remember about them, is that D. Gueranger stated that August was the month with the most saints feastdays.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

red solo cup

The third in Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy, Cities of the Plain. Outstanding.
"A landscape of low shacks of tin and cratewood here on the outskirts of the city. Barren dirt and gravel lots and beyond them the plains of sage and creosote. Roosters were calling and the air smelled of burning charcoal. He took his bearings by the grey light to the east and set out toward the city. In the cold dawn the lights were still burning out there under the dark cape of the mountains with that precious insularity common to cities of the desert. A man was coming down the road driving a donkey piled high with firewood. In the distance the churchbells had begun. The man smiled at him a sly smile. As if they knew a secret between them, these two. Something of age and youth and their claims and the justice of those claims. And of the claims upon them. The world past, the world to come. Their common transiencies. Above all a knowing deep in the bone that beauty and loss are one."
non impediti ratione cogitationis

red solo cup

Michael Wilson

"On Desperate Ground" by Hampton Sides; on the Battle of Chosin Reservoir, Korea. Fantastic account of how the First Marine Division, trapped and surrounded on Chosin Reservoir, repelled repeated attacks by five Chinese Communist divisions and was able to fight its way back to the coast and withdraw successfully from North Korea, under terrible winter conditions. A great story.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Heinrich

Quote from: Michael Wilson on January 23, 2020, 05:58:39 PM
"On Desperate Ground" by Hampton Sides; on the Battle of Chosin Reservoir, Korea. Fantastic account of how the First Marine Division, trapped and surrounded on Chosin Reservoir, repelled repeated attacks by five Chinese Communist divisions and was able to fight its way back to the coast and withdraw successfully from North Korea, under terrible winter conditions. A great story.

I read this about 10 years ago, or something similar, but I am pretty sure it was this. Handed to me from a Marine friend at the time. Incredible feats of fortitude. The author did a masterful job of weaving personal stories within the wider topic. Crap freezing solid before their pants are pulled up, stacking bodies of 15 year olds for bumper, pinched on three sides. Misery.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

red solo cup

King Edward VIII by Philip Ziegler

Prayerful

Read Tom Holland, Dominion, The Making of the West Mind which is a history of how Christianity formed European political thought and attitudes, even where Christianity seems absent, like with Marxist-Leninism, by pointing out how these systems draw from Christian ideas of the 'New Man' or redemption, or that Richard Dawkin's evangelical atheism is heavily influenced by his own Anglican upbringing, although he at least admits that. Anyhow, Tom Holland notes wryly that some of the harsher ideas brought about by Darwinism, like Social Darwinism, really originate with the Origin of the Species which posited that inferior human societies went extinct. It wasn't the sinister work of Hebert Spencer or others.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

martin88nyc

"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

red solo cup

The Feather Thief by Kirk Wallace Johnson. Very good. The story of a guy who stole bird skins from a natural history museum to sell to fly tiers and made a fair amount of money at it.

Gardener

Desert Wife by Hilda Faunce.

"This is the compelling narrative of the wife of an Indian trader in the desert wilderness of the Navajos before World War I. No other book about life at such trading posts equals its revealing portrayal of the land and the people, and its implication of the racial differences still confronting us today."—From the introduction by Frank Waters
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

red solo cup

The Ice Master: The Doomed 1913 Voyage of the Karluk by Jennifer Niven