Anniversary mass for baptized infant

Started by Chestertonian, April 14, 2016, 10:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

lets say you lost a child only hours after they were baptized and it is the anniversary of the child's death and you want to remember it in some way.

when our daughter died, we the funeral done through our TLM community but the priest did not do a requiem mass, he wore white vestments and it had a more festive quality.. it was a blur and I do not remember much 

we want to do something for her birthday/anniversary and i'm aware you can have a requiem mass said years later but wondering what would be appropriate
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Kaesekopf

What would be the point?  If baptized, dead infant, it's a pretty fair assumption that the infant is in heaven? 

I would perhaps go to the gravesite and ask the child's intercession?  Or have a Mass said for the parents.  It seems a bit...  superfluous to have a Mass said for the child, under these circumstances? 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

dymphna17

Yes, having the babies funeral wearing white and what I've seen was the Mass of the Angels with the Priest in white actually is appropriate.  I've only seen it 3 times, so I'm no expert.  But when you think about it, the baby was born with original sin.  Then she was baptized.  She is then ready to meet God as a pure soul who had never committed a sin.

Have you all thought about doing something with her gravesite?  Plant flowers, have a bench made and put it out ther
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

The Harlequin King

In your situation, I would request a Mass of thanksgiving.

VeraeFidei

Quote from: The Harlequin King on April 15, 2016, 01:00:09 PM
This. Despite the tragedy you have gone through, you can be assured that your daughter is in Heaven enjoying the Beatific Vision!

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: VeraeFidei on April 17, 2016, 10:02:34 AM
Quote from: The Harlequin King on April 15, 2016, 01:00:09 PM
This. Despite the tragedy you have gone through, you can be assured that your daughter is in Heaven enjoying the Beatific Vision!

And a wonderful intercessor for her family, too!

Chestertonian

yeah i think the point for us would be to mark the day in some way.... other than sitting at the piano and playing this:

the Mass of Thanksgiving idea is interesting. do they also chant the te deum? 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Chestertonian on April 17, 2016, 10:03:00 PM
the Mass of Thanksgiving idea is interesting. do they also chant the te deum?

It's not prescribed, but you could request it at the end of Mass ad libitum.