Rite of betrothal

Started by Nd9935, February 27, 2016, 09:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nd9935

I found out that there is a rite called the Rite of Betrothal. I have  never seen it done. Is this done in SSPX chapels to a newly engaged couple?

Christina_S

A friend of mine said that one was done in an FSSP parish last year for a newly engaged couple. I can't remember if it was in Calgary or Edmonton though.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Penelope

I seem to recall a couple whom many of us knew from FE having this done at an ICKSP-affiliated church. This was a few years ago--maybe almost five years ago? I'd imagine that a Society priest would do it if he had access to the rubrics. Can't hurt to ask him about it, anyway.

Chestertonian

hmmm... I've been meaning to try to arrange my son's marriage 15 years in advance...

i need to stop slacking
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

The Harlequin King

I imagine a Society priest would do it upon request, but formal church betrothals fell out of common practice centuries before Vatican II, so it's just not even on most trad priests' radars. Indeed, the betrothal rite was actually a recent re-addition to some ritual books that were published not long before Vatican II.

That said, back when I lived in Texas, we had a religious priest who frequently offered Mass at the diocesan TLM, and I think he would always offer to officiate a betrothal rite for any couples in the community who got engaged. So yes, Mrs. HK and I did get betrothed in church.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: The Harlequin King on February 28, 2016, 03:37:18 PM
So yes, Mrs. HK and I did get betrothed in church.

We expect nothing less out of the Modern Medievalist!
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 28, 2016, 03:44:08 PM
Quote from: The Harlequin King on February 28, 2016, 03:37:18 PM
So yes, Mrs. HK and I did get betrothed in church.

We expect nothing less out of the Modern Medievalist!

I think you'd be required, by law, to perma ban him if he didn't
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

JubilateDeo

My husband and I had a betrothal ceremony.  Our priest was traditional and had never done this before, and it was not in his copy of the Roman Ritual.  You have to get the Fr. Weller version.