shooting at targets with human images

Started by Traditionallyruralmom, January 12, 2019, 12:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionallyruralmom

Hubs and I were out back today practicing with our handguns.  I wanted to tape a printout of a mugshot of a terrible guy that was caught in our state the other day to the target.  This monster abducted a 13 year old after killing both of her parents in their home.  He held her captive for 88 days and did horrible things to her until she escaped. 
Anyway, hubs said no, it was not appropriate for a Catholic to do.  I told him he was a snowflake, but I obeyed him. 
Was he right?
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Stubborn

I don't see anything wrong with it unless you are hell bent on actually shooting the guy out of hate.

Use a picture of Nancy Pelosi or Chuck Schummer, you'll be fine.

Even after a long life of sin, if the Christian receives the Sacrament of the dying with the appropriate dispositions, he will go straight to heaven without having to go to purgatory. - Fr. M. Philipon; This sacrament prepares man for glory immediately, since it is given to those who are departing from this life. - St. Thomas Aquinas; It washes away the sins that remain to be atoned, and the vestiges of sin; it comforts and strengthens the soul of the sick person, arousing in him a great trust and confidence in the divine mercy. Thus strengthened, he bears the hardships and struggles of his illness more easily and resists the temptation of the devil and the heel of the deceiver more readily; and if it be advantageous to the welfare of his soul, he sometimes regains his bodily health. - Council of Trent

Daniel

Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on January 12, 2019, 12:57:36 PM
Was he right?
He was right. There's nothing 'Catholic' about disrespecting a man's life, even jokingly.

Heinrich

Quote from: Daniel on January 12, 2019, 03:24:08 PM
Was he right?
He was right. There's nothing 'Catholic' about disrespecting a man's life, even jokingly.

Says the atheist. Right? Correct me if I am wrong.

Life sized targets with silhouettes of menacing characters is normal. Good practice for reality that we pray never happens.

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Traditionallyruralmom

yes, we have life sized targets with silhouettes, and I was gonna tape this guys head on one of them.  Seriously, doesn't a murderer of parents and a child rapist make you want to aim really well?

Traditionallyruralmom

Quote from: Stubborn on January 12, 2019, 03:09:20 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it unless you are hell bent on actually shooting the guy out of hate.

Use a picture of Nancy Pelosi or Chuck Schummer, you'll be fine.

Eh, Pelosi and Schummer are useful idiots, but this guy is seriously evil. Its not hate, its more of a "Beer For My Horses" sort of sentiment.

Daniel

Traditionallyruralmom

Quote from: Daniel on January 12, 2019, 04:12:07 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on January 12, 2019, 03:48:35 PMSays the atheist. Right? Correct me if I am wrong.
I'm not an atheist.

are you a traditional Catholic who attends Mass? 

Daniel

Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on January 12, 2019, 04:53:20 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on January 12, 2019, 03:48:35 PMSays the atheist. Right? Correct me if I am wrong.
I'm not an atheist.

I am a Catholic who attends the traditional Mass.

Heinrich

Quote from: Daniel on January 12, 2019, 05:04:04 PM
Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on January 12, 2019, 04:53:20 PM
I'm not an atheist.

I am a Catholic who attends the traditional Mass.

I stand corrected and apologize.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Non Nobis

Hubs and I were out back today practicing with our handguns.  I wanted to tape a printout of a mugshot of a terrible guy that was caught in our state the other day to the target.  This monster abducted a 13 year old after killing both of her parents in their home.  He held her captive for 88 days and did horrible things to her until she escaped. 
Anyway, hubs said no, it was not appropriate for a Catholic to do.  I told him he was a snowflake, but I obeyed him. 
Was he right?

It seems to me that you may be stirring up internal hatred against a particular real life person. Loving our enemy is consistent with wanting him punished by death or obviously killing him to actually prevent his doing harm. It is also right that you should have absolute hatred for what he did and for the EVIL in him. But at least you should want him to repent before he dies - he is a human being with an immortal soul.

But I sure understand your gut instinct, and I would even more if I owned a gun and practiced shooting it.

I imagine you are talking about the Jamie Closs case, and Jake Thomas Patterson, her kidnapper and murderer of her parents.  Here is some youtube news about it:  . It was in national news.  What a miracle she lived.  What a horrific case. What an absolutely evil man.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Jacob

He's your husband.  We should practice what we preach.  Better to ask your priest in private than fish for support on an internet forum.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Maximilian

Quote from: Jacob on January 12, 2019, 07:51:12 PM

He's your husband. 

Right.

We should practice what we preach. 

Right

Better to ask your priest in private than fish for support on an internet forum.

Yes, except you should avoid getting a third person involved in your marriage, unless in case of extreme necessity. Don't go double-checking everything your husband says with your pastor. That's a good way to destroy a marriage.

Non Nobis

Traditionallyruralmom did obey her husband.  But if she thought he was commanding something that was morally imperfect (e.g. having LESS anger than she ought) maybe she should have talked to him about more rather than us. At that point, if she still didn't understand, a priest probably could have helped; it wouldn't need to be in private.

We can't/shouldn't talk about what goes on between a particular man and his wife. But we can talk about objective moral issues in general. Maybe the issue could have been bought up in a general may, not mentioning who said what.

Maybe, considering how the issue was brought up, we (I) shouldn't have got involved.

[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Maximilian

Quote from: Non Nobis on January 12, 2019, 11:21:22 PM
Traditionallyruralmom did obey her husband. 

Did he ask her to post this on the internet?

But if she thought he was commanding something that was morally imperfect (e.g. having LESS anger than she ought) maybe she should have talked to him about more rather than us.

Wrong, wrong. Judging every statement of one's superior in order to decide whether it is less than morally perfect is the road to perdition. "Talking more" is the opposite of the admonition that St. Peter gives to wives.

At that point, if she still didn't understand, a priest probably could have helped; it wouldn't need to be in private.

No, no, no. You obviously have no experience of married life. But even someone with no experience could understand better in theory.

We can't/shouldn't talk about what goes on between a particular man and his wife.

Not unless they post it on the internet for the whole world to see.

But we can talk about objective moral issues in general. Maybe the issue could have been bought up in a general may, not mentioning who said what.

Well that might be preferable. But there is no imaginable scenario in which a wife should feel obliged to disobey her rightful superior in order to shoot firearms at images of people in the news.