What proof is there for faith?

Started by Daniel, November 30, 2018, 05:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quaremerepulisti

Quote from: St. Columba on December 06, 2018, 06:39:14 PM
Quote from: Quaremerepulisti on December 05, 2018, 02:17:17 PM
- Bayes' Theorem shows that once 100% certainty is reached no later evidence at all can result in a reduction of that certainty. 

It does?  Bayes' theorem is either undefined (dividing by 0), or trivially true (P(A) = P(A)), at the extremes of 0 or 1 probability.  IOW's Bayes' thm is only useful in the mushy middle.

I'm talking about prior probability.  If the prior probability is 100% the posterior probability will likewise be 100% no matter what the likelihood of the new evidence given the model.  (Unless the likelihood is exactly zero, in which case the posterior probability is undefined.)

St. Columba

Quote from: Quaremerepulisti on December 06, 2018, 06:45:03 PM
Well, of course, but I am saying that the mystical faculty allows one to see the integral holiness of the Catholic religion, not just that parts of it are good as in Islam.

Can you shed some light, dear Quare, as to how you think your particular mystical experiences permitted you to see the integral holiness of the Catholic religion?  Perhaps that might help...

Quote from: Quaremerepulisti on December 06, 2018, 06:45:03 PM
How can the Catholic Church be from God and yet the religion not be true?  True, you don't know this truth in the same way you know the answer to a differential equation.

Because God can, and does, plant partial truths, and some select goods, in all religions.  These are all necessarily from God.  Please note that I did not make the claim that the Catholic Church was integrally from God in my post above.  This is precisely what I want to settle vis a vis the act of faith.
People don't have ideas...ideas have people.  - Jordan Peterson quoting Carl Jung

St. Columba

Quote from: Quaremerepulisti on December 06, 2018, 06:47:40 PM
I'm talking about prior probability.  If the prior probability is 100% the posterior probability will likewise be 100% no matter what the likelihood of the new evidence given the model. 

Sure.  That is trivially true...you did not need Bayes' thm for something so obvious.  If you are a priori certain about something, no evidence can change that, otherwise you were not certain to begin with.
People don't have ideas...ideas have people.  - Jordan Peterson quoting Carl Jung

Quaremerepulisti

Quote from: St. Columba on December 06, 2018, 06:59:28 PM
Can you shed some light, dear Quare, as to how you think your particular mystical experiences permitted you to see the integral holiness of the Catholic religion?  Perhaps that might help..

No, I can't, unfortunately.  I can't lay out the manner in which mystical sight works the same way I can draw a lens, retina, optic nerve, etc.

But just as you can see that certain parts of the Quran are good, I can see Catholicism in its totality is good.

QuoteBecause God can, and does, plant partial truths, and some select goods, in all religions.  These are all necessarily from God.  Please note that I did not make the claim that the Catholic Church was integrally from God in my post above.  This is precisely what I want to settle vis a vis the act of faith.

Ah, OK.  But you were able to identify some evil in the Quran and in Islam along with the good.  Is there any evil you can identify in Catholicism?

St. Columba

Quote from: Quaremerepulisti on December 06, 2018, 07:20:12 PM
No, I can't, unfortunately.  I can't lay out the manner in which mystical sight works the same way I can draw a lens, retina, optic nerve, etc.

But just as you can see that certain parts of the Quran are good, I can see Catholicism in its totality is good.

I think this is an apples and oranges fallacy, since I am not claiming that I know that certain parts of the Quran are good from a mystical experience.  Ironically, it logically follows that the Quran possesses some truth if one knows a priori that Catholicism is true, since the Quran teaches a subset of the (integrally correct from your view) Catholicism (homosexuality one obvious example).

St. Columba

Quote from: Quaremerepulisti on December 06, 2018, 07:20:12 PM
Is there any evil you can identify in Catholicism?

No, I cannot, at least not definitively.  I suppose this is a sign that I have supernatural faith, but does not prove it to be so.