What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne

Quote from: Maximilian on June 06, 2019, 10:06:17 PM
Quote from: MilesChristi on June 06, 2019, 09:30:44 PM
Thé Long Loneliness

A story about tea, and the long loneliness it brings in a world full of coffee lovers.

Or it could be read as Thé Long Loneliness -- while drinking "Dragon Tea" one is overwhelmed with a sense of isolation from humanity. Like the herbal tea made from lime leaves that stirred up a flood of memories in Proust, Thé Long, i.e. "Dragon Tea," awakens one's sense that we are born alone and must die alone. Just as the bitterness of kudingcha reminds us that pleasure is a delusion, so Thé Long reveals our inability to bridge the chasm that divides us.

You are so deep.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

red solo cup

Hermit of Peking: The hidden life of Sir Edmund Backhouse by Hugh Trevor-Roper
non impediti ratione cogitationis

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bernadette

Stones From the River, by Ursula Hegi
My Lord and my God.

rosenley

I'm currently reading four books:

1. The World's Debt to the Catholic Church by James J. Walsh
2. The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels (introduction by Gareth Jones, Penguin Classics Edition)
3. The Ways of Mental Prayer by Rt. Rev. Vitalis Lehodey
4. Heroic Catholic Chaplains by Thomas Craughwell 
"And I live, now not I; but Christ liveth in me. And that I live now in the flesh: I live in the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

"Give them according to their works, and according to the wickedness of their inventions. According to the works of their hands give thou to them: render to them their reward." (Psalm 27:4)

"A man has free choice to the extent that he is rational."
"It is proper for man to be inclined to act according to reason."
"Human salvation demands the divine disclosure of truths surpassing reason."
"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." - St. Thomas Aquinas

Michael Wilson

3 out of 4 great books. Nice reading list.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

red solo cup

A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain by Marc Morris
non impediti ratione cogitationis

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: Michael Wilson on July 21, 2019, 10:13:25 AM
3 out of 4 great books. Nice reading list.

The person of Karl Marx, and his all-encompassing ideology, can be best summed up in this painting from Montenegro (I don't consider it an icon):

With that being said, there are things that I think Marx is absolutely right about - for example, how money is able to morph one's perception of reality (such that ugly people are now lusty, fat people are muscular, stupid people are intelligent), or about the inherent self-destructive nature of Capitalism insofar as technological innovation is concerned - I.e., as technology allows production to be more efficient, division of labor becomes more extreme, which will ultimately lower the demand for skilled labor and raise the supply for unskilled labor, lowering the cost of unskilled labor, such that the masses get less and less for unskilled labor, to the point that living conditions become dire and horrendous, leading to inevitable societal collapse and unrest.

That being said, look to his earlier essays he wrote when he was younger, like "On the Jewish Question" (which isn't really about Jews) because the Communist Manifesto doesn't go too in depth about how Marx perceived the world or his rationale to the degree that his individual essays do; it's just a basic definition of what Communism is, a logical argument for communism and how it can achieve its goals as a political platform.
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

TheReturnofLive

Dogs of God: Columbus, the Inquisiton, and the Defeat of the Moors
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

Bernadette

The Book of My Life, by St. Teresa. I need something familiar and encouraging. ICS translation.
My Lord and my God.

Jacob

The third Calvin & Hobbes treasury book.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Michael Wilson

I was a big fan of C&H when they were in the funny papers.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Jacob

I was a fan, but I didn't get to read it on a regular basis back in the day.  Living in Iowa, the only newspaper that had it was the big regional paper out of Des Moines and people in my family only got that on Sundays usually.  The little Fort Dodge Messenger couldn't afford it.  Though it had no problem shelling out for mangy Garfield and stale old Peanuts.

So I got the treasury books one or two at a time over successive Christmases awhile ago.  I've been through them once already and am making my way through them again the last few weeks, 20-25 pages every few days, three strips per page and a Sunday comic every other page unless a Sunday fell in the middle of an ongoing story.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson