History in Pictures

Started by Vetus Ordo, July 26, 2018, 03:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on May 20, 2019, 10:42:47 AM

Quanah Parker December 1889
Does anyone recognize the star between his collar and lapel?
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Fleur-de-Lys

I don't know if the star pictured has any particular significance. Quanah Parker seems to have liked stars as a symbol. His home in Cache, Oklahoma is called "Star House" and has stars painted on the roof. According to Wikipedia, "Although no one can be certain why Parker painted the stars on his roof, lore has it that he meant it as a display of rank and importance equal to a military general."

Josephine87

He was a deputy sheriff for a time. Six sided star is often law enforcement if it's not Jewish.
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Josephine87 on May 21, 2019, 09:46:45 AM
He was a deputy sheriff for a time. Six sided star is often law enforcement if it's not Jewish.

Yes! But if the dates are correct, he was elected deputy sheriff of Lawton in 1902, and this photo was taken in 1889.

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Josephine87

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on May 21, 2019, 10:57:09 AM
Quote from: Josephine87 on May 21, 2019, 09:46:45 AM

Yes! But if the dates are correct, he was elected deputy sheriff of Lawton in 1902, and this photo was taken in 1889.

My bad, great catch!
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

Vetus Ordo

Postcard from Tophane, Constantinople, 1890's.

Tophane is a quarter in the Beyo?lu district of Istanbul, Turkey. It has a coastline with the Bosphorus. In the Ottoman era, it was the city's oldest industrial zone. The name of the place was derived from the armory known as Tophane-i Amire (Ottoman Turkish: ??????? ??????; English: Imperial armory), which was built in the reign (1451–1481) of Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II. Its main purpose was the manufacturing cannons and cannonballs. Tophane, which could be seen in Melling's (1763–1831) engraving, has not been able to survive to this day. In 1823, during the Firuz Agha fire, the barracks were burned down only to be rebuilt later. In addition to this, during the reconstruction effort, the Nusretiye Mosque was constructed. The oldest remaining military buildings within Tophane were the old General Staff Headquarters and the industry barracks. Both were taken down due to construction to widen the road in 1958. In the place of the barracks, all that is remaining now is the historical clock tower and Mecidiye Mansion.

The K?l?ç Ali Pasha Complex in Tophane, built by the Ottoman Kapudan-i Derya K?l?ç Ali Pasha and designed by the renowned architect Mimar Sinan, is a külliye (group of buildings) which comprises a mosque, a medrese, a hamam, a türbe, and a fountain that were constructed between 1578 and 1587. The Tophane Fountain, situated between Nusretiye Mosque and K?l?ç Ali Pasha Complex, was commissioned by Mahmud I and built in 1732.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Vetus Ordo

The children of Tsar Nicholas II and Empress Alexandra:

Olga, Tatiana, Maria, Anastasia and Alexei.

DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

red solo cup

Photographer Jack Burns visited Venzone Italy in 1950. These are photos of naturally occurring mummies due to local conditions.

Vetus Ordo

Sultan Abdulmejid I.

Reign: 2 July 1839 – 25 June 1861.

He was the 31st Sultan of the Ottoman Empire and succeeded his father Mahmud II on 2 July 1839. His reign was notable for the rise of nationalist movements within the empire's territories. Abdulmejid wanted to encourage Ottomanism among the secessionist subject nations and stop the rise of nationalist movements within the empire, but failed to succeed despite trying to integrate non-Muslims and non-Turks more thoroughly into Ottoman society with new laws and reforms. He tried to forge alliances with the major powers of Western Europe, namely the United Kingdom and France, who fought alongside the Ottoman Empire in the Crimean War against Russia. In the following Congress of Paris on 30 March 1856, the Ottoman Empire was officially included among the European family of nations. Abdulmejid's biggest achievement was the announcement and application of the Tanzimat (reorganization) reforms which were prepared by his father and effectively started the modernization of the Ottoman Empire in 1839. For this achievement, one of the Imperial anthems of the Ottoman Empire, the March of Abdulmejid, was named after him.

Vetus Ordo

Lathe operator machining parts for transport planes at the Consolidated Aircraft plant in Fort Worth, Texas, October 1942. Dirty shirt, dirty hands, and fingernail polish.

Vetus Ordo

Florina, Macedonia, Greece.

Circa 1910.

red solo cup

Vetus Ordo

Kingsville, Texas. Sometime in the 1950's: