15 Tuesdays in Honor of St. Dominic

Started by Kaesekopf, April 26, 2016, 10:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

There is an old Dominican tradition of dedicating Tuesdays to St. Dominic, extending back to the translation of his relics in 1233 at Bologna (which took place on Whit-Tuesday, May 24).  Liturgical practices were introduced into the rubrics of the Mass and Office of the Order as a means to foster devotion to the holy patriarch.  At the Chapter of 1362, the third day of the week (Tuesday) was dedicated to Dominic, and the Mass was to be his Mass, with a commemoration of him in the Office (outside of Lent, at least).

The practice of 15 Tuesdays was instituted in Florence in 1631 by Fr Michael Bruni, who exhorted the faithful to pray to St Dominic and promise to receive Communion on 15 consecutive Tuesdays (possibly in honor of the 15 Rosary mysteries).  This devotion spread rapidly, and Pope Pius VII granted an indulgence to those who performed this pious act (suppressed, as far as I can see, by Pope Paul VI, in his wide-sweeping reforms).

This year, the Devotion runs from Tuesday, April 26th to Tuesday, August 2nd.  While we may not be able to gain indulgences for this in particular, we should still honor so great a Saint!

What is to be done for the Devotion?

Spend some time each Tuesday from now until August 2nd meditating on St Dominic or offering prayers in honor of him (or perform some other act of piety).  If possible, also assist at Mass and receive Communion (in imitation of the first devotion exhorted by Fr Bruni).

How can I do that?

There are a number of ways to do so.  The easiest way I can think of is to pray and meditate upon the "O Lumen Ecclesiae" antiphon, which is sung or recited by Dominicans daily in the night Office of Compline.

O lumen Ecclesiae
Doctor veritatis,
Rosa patientiae,
Ebur castitatis,
Aquam sapientiae
propinasti gratis,
Praedicator gratiae,
nos junge beatis.   

Light of the Church,
Teacher of truth,
Rose of patience,
Ivory of chastity,
You freely poured forth
The waters of wisdom,
Preacher of grace,
Unite us with the blessed.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

Today is Tuesday (Tuesday Number 2), again! 

St. Dominic, pray for us!

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 03, 2016, 04:52:38 PM

Thank you, KK  :pray1:
I love Saint Dominic. I will be doing this on Tuesday. I hope I can jump in a bit late... :pray3: :pray2: :pray1:

Saint Dominic, pray for us  :pray3:

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 03, 2016, 04:52:38 PM

Well, tomorrow is Tuesday, not sure which number. I am starting this Devotion. Thank you, KK.
I love Saint Dominic :pray1:

Saint Dominic, pray for us! :pray2: :pray3:

Michael Wilson

Yes, I don't like to brag (too much), but did I happen to mention that I was born on St. Dominic's feastday?
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 12, 2017, 06:26:57 AM
Yes, I don't like to brag (too much), but did I happen to mention that I was born on St. Dominic's feastday?
You win in terms of birth days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Christe Eleison

Awesome day to be born! ;D Congrats.
Today is Tuesday, June 13, and I am doing this! :pray1: :pray2: :pray3:
Thanks, KK.

Saint Dominic, pray for us.  :pray3:

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 26, 2016, 10:07:50 PM
There is an old Dominican tradition of dedicating Tuesdays to St. Dominic, extending back to the translation of his relics in 1233 at Bologna (which took place on Whit-Tuesday, May 24).  Liturgical practices were introduced into the rubrics of the Mass and Office of the Order as a means to foster devotion to the holy patriarch.  At the Chapter of 1362, the third day of the week (Tuesday) was dedicated to Dominic, and the Mass was to be his Mass, with a commemoration of him in the Office (outside of Lent, at least).

The practice of 15 Tuesdays was instituted in Florence in 1631 by Fr Michael Bruni, who exhorted the faithful to pray to St Dominic and promise to receive Communion on 15 consecutive Tuesdays (possibly in honor of the 15 Rosary mysteries).  This devotion spread rapidly, and Pope Pius VII granted an indulgence to those who performed this pious act (suppressed, as far as I can see, by Pope Paul VI, in his wide-sweeping reforms).

This year, the Devotion runs from Tuesday, April 26th to Tuesday, August 2nd.  While we may not be able to gain indulgences for this in particular, we should still honor so great a Saint!

Spend some time each Tuesday from now until August 2nd meditating on St Dominic or offering prayers in honor of him (or perform some other act of piety).  If possible, also assist at Mass and receive Communion (in imitation of the first devotion exhorted by Fr Bruni).

How can I do that?

There are a number of ways to do so.  The easiest way I can think of is to pray and meditate upon the "O Lumen Ecclesiae" antiphon, which is sung or recited by Dominicans daily in the night Office of Compline.

O lumen Ecclesiae
Doctor veritatis,
Rosa patientiae,
Ebur castitatis,
Aquam sapientiae
propinasti gratis,
Praedicator gratiae,
nos junge beatis.   

Light of the Church,
Teacher of truth,
Rose of patience,
Ivory of chastity,
You freely poured forth
The waters of wisdom,
Preacher of grace,

Another Tuesday is here :pray3:

Saint Dominic, pray for us  :pray2:

Christe Eleison

How can I do that?

O lumen Ecclesiae
Doctor veritatis,
Rosa patientiae,
Ebur castitatis,
Aquam sapientiae
propinasti gratis,
Praedicator gratiae,
nos junge beatis.   

Light of the Church,
Teacher of truth,
Rose of patience,
Ivory of chastity,
You freely poured forth
The waters of wisdom,
Preacher of grace,

Friday, August 4th, 2017 :pray1:

Although, today is not a Tuesday, it is the Feast Day of Saint Dominic  :pray3:

Happy Feast Day of Saint Dominic. :pray1: 

Today is also the First Friday of the Month.  :pray3:

Christe Eleison

Happy Birthday & many more :beer:
Happy Feast Day of Saint Dominic & Happy First Friday of the Month :pray3:

Saint Dominic, pray for us :pray2:

Michael Wilson

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Christe Eleison

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Christe Eleison on August 04, 2017, 06:13:18 AM

How can I do that?

O lumen Ecclesiae
Doctor veritatis,
Rosa patientiae,
Ebur castitatis,
Aquam sapientiae
propinasti gratis,
Praedicator gratiae,
nos junge beatis.   

Light of the Church,
Teacher of truth,
Rose of patience,
Ivory of chastity,
You freely poured forth
The waters of wisdom,
Preacher of grace,

Friday, August 4th, 2017 :pray1:

Although, today is not a Tuesday, it is the Feast Day of Saint Dominic  :pray3:

Happy Feast Day of Saint Dominic. :pray1: 

Today is also the First Friday of the Month.  :pray3:

:pray3: :pray2:

Saint Dominic, pray for us!

Christe Eleison

How can I do that?

O lumen Ecclesiae
Doctor veritatis,
Rosa patientiae,
Ebur castitatis,
Aquam sapientiae
propinasti gratis,
Praedicator gratiae,
nos junge beatis.   

Light of the Church,
Teacher of truth,
Rose of patience,
Ivory of chastity,