Amazon's Tolkien series

Started by Jacob, August 06, 2021, 01:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

This image was posted online and there has been a lot of analysis of where it is supposed to be and what is happening it and who that is in the foreground.

https://twitter.com/LOTRonPrime/status/1422255647106617359

Go to that link and then click on the image to get a bigger version.  To get an even bigger version, right click on it and choose "view image" or "open image in a new tab" or whatever your browser gives you for a choice.

Any thoughts from all the Middle-earth readers out there?
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Melkor

Looks amazing. I think that is Sauron (in his deceptively fair image) in the foreground.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Santantonio

Yeah, I decided months ago that I would not watch. The series was only approved after Christopher Tolkien died.
Think of it as free-form Tolkienesque fantasy, with a cast that resembles that mandatory WOKE distribution of cookie-cutter racial disbursement.

Tennessean

You can't catch lightening in a bottle twice.

Optatus

I'm not entirely sure of the setting for the series. I have heard both that it is set in the Second Age and in the Third. Akallabêth strikes nearest my heart (as is natural, I think, for any of our race), so the former is preferable to my mind.

But I am with Santantonio. I have little hope that the writers will restrain themselves and keep faithfully to the canon (if it is even possible to come to consensus about what constitutes the canon). I am convinced that whatever it will be, Tolkien would have hated it.

EDIT: Looking at the image more closely, is that Laurelin and Telperion? If so, it must be set in the Years of the Trees. I wonder if it's a depiction of Tirion?

Jacob

Quote from: Optatus on September 24, 2021, 03:46:54 PM
EDIT: Looking at the image more closely, is that Laurelin and Telperion? If so, it must be set in the Years of the Trees. I wonder if it's a depiction of Tirion?

That's what that people I was talking with thought too after they noticed the trees.  If that is supposed to be Tirion, they didn't do a very good job if they missed its chief characteristic besides being on a hill: the lighthouse at its crown.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Optatus

Quote from: Jacob on September 25, 2021, 09:01:39 AM
Quote from: Optatus on September 24, 2021, 03:46:54 PM

That's what that people I was talking with thought too after they noticed the trees.  If that is supposed to be Tirion, they didn't do a very good job if they missed its chief characteristic besides being on a hill: the lighthouse at its crown.

Apart from that, it looks actually boring. The paradise of the Quendi is some art nouveu projecti? It looks like something Man could make, domed spires and all. It would be nice to have someone with an imagination that goes beyond the foundation laid by John Howe and Alan Lee. But, then again, I can think of nothing better myself so it may be too much to ask.

I think the art direction/whovever's in charge of this should take serious thought about the fact that Elves are a thing entirely separate from ourselves. In place of what Man finds pleasing, consider what someone from, say, another planet might like. So different are we from the Eldalië.

Tennessean

Have any of you heard of The Last Ringbearer? Its a retelling of the events of the novels from a bolshevik point of view. I expect that of this show. I expect it to be LOTR on the outside, complete subversion all the way through. That's all these people are capable of, sense demons can't create only destroy.

bilbobaggins

Amazon is the perfect company to destroy Tolkien's work. Having said that I will watch the first episode while I scream at the television until I refuse to watch anymore. I will then pick it up the next week in defiance of my oath to never watch it again where my actions will predictably repeat. I assume it will take anywhere from 3-5 shows for me to actually keep my word, realize my hope of an accurate portrayal could never happen with Amazon at the helm, and finally discard the show.

Melkor

I heard some rumours that there may be nudity/sexual scenes in the show. Not sure if that's true; I do know that several Game of Thrones actors are starring in it.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

The Curt Jester

Quote from: Melkor on October 26, 2021, 07:58:20 PM
I heard some rumours that there may be nudity/sexual scenes in the show. Not sure if that's true; I do know that several Game of Thrones actors are starring in it.

Given today's culture, I'd say that's a given.  I'd be surprised if it doesn't have any of that.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Tennessean

Quote from: The Curt Jester on October 26, 2021, 09:01:21 PM
Quote from: Melkor on October 26, 2021, 07:58:20 PM

Given today's culture, I'd say that's a given.  I'd be surprised if it doesn't have any of that.
I'd be surprised if it isn't the opening scene.