Shocking news: Pope Francis announces new commandment superior to the 10

Started by Inquisitor2, October 24, 2014, 03:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inquisitor2

Shocking news Pope Francis has created a new category even superior to sin, overriding the 10 commandments

"Corruption is an evil greater than sin. More than forgiveness, this evil needs to be cured."

Corruption is an evil greater than sin according to Pope Francis, so corruption is superior to the sins that are specified in the ten commandments, shocking news.

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1404377.htm

So now thou shall not corrupt is number one commandment

Basilios

Well as I said in the other thread, that is true blasphemy as it stands.

I hate to be the type, but I do wonder about the translation. I mean, the sentence itself doesn't even make sense philosophically/theologically. He's basically sayin corruption is evil (sinful) but it's worse than something sinful? So sin is a great ever than sin.... huh?

Well if it is an accurate translation (not just literally but accurately conveying the spirit of the sentence) then it's just more Francis Spray. Modernist but utterly meaningless and harmful junk.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Traditionallyruralmom

golly gee, a NO homeschooling mom must never know just what to teach these days for Catechism class!
Ill stick to static tradition  :)
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Michael Wilson

Here is the complete paragraph:
Quote[/size=10pt]Pope Francis concluded his talk by denouncing human trafficking and corruption, both crimes he said "could never be committed without the complicity, active or passive, of public authorities."

The pope spoke scathingly about the mentality of the typical corrupt person, whom he described as conceited, unable to accept criticism, and prompt to insult and even persecute those who disagree with him.

"The corrupt one does not perceive his own corruption. It is a little like what happens with bad breath: someone who has it hardly ever realizes it; other people notice and have to tell him," the pope said. "Corruption is an evil greater than sin. More than forgiveness, this evil needs to be cured."[/size]
He means to say that we need to eat more wholesome foods; higher in fiber and lower in transient fats.  I'm sick and tired of closed minded Neo-Pelagian types mis-interpreting the words of Pope St. Francis.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Inquisitor2

Quote from: Basilios on October 24, 2014, 03:31:51 PM
Well as I said in the other thread, that is true blasphemy as it stands.

I hate to be the type, but I do wonder about the translation. I mean, the sentence itself doesn't even make sense philosophically/theologically. He's basically sayin corruption is evil (sinful) but it's worse than something sinful? So sin is a great ever than sin.... huh?

Well if it is an accurate translation (not just literally but accurately conveying the spirit of the sentence) then it's just more Francis Spray. Modernist but utterly meaningless and harmful junk.

by the way if you are interested in Francis Spray here you can get it

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/18/pope-francis-cologne_n_3949319.html

GloriaPatri

He's hardly creating a new commandment, but he does seem to be elevating corruption as the greatest possible sin. But isn't corruption just a form of greed, mixed with a good dosage of pride and envy thrown in? I don't see how corruption can be considered separately from the 7 capital vices.

m.PR

Quote"Corruption is an evil greater than sin. More than forgiveness, this evil needs to be cured."

Apart from plainly not making any sense, as Basilios pointed out - isn't corruption sinful? [edit: and isn't sin corruption?] - this is, I'd say, quite revealing of what he thinks about sin. Sin needs to be "cured" too, by striving for virtue in this life and doing penance; whatever is lacking in our cure in this life, will finally be taken care of in Purgatory. But here he seems to imply that just as long as you confess the sins you do commit, you're good to go. If you commit them again and again? Just keep going to the Confessional where all is forgiven and all will be dandy. You may imagine the implications for habitual / persistent sins such as living in concubinage.

This manages to both be the worst caricature of Catholics and sound rather Protestant (all Christians go straight to Heaven).

Irishcyclist

Quote"The corrupt one does not perceive his own corruption. It is a little like what happens with bad breath: someone who has it hardly ever realizes it; other people notice and have to tell him," the pope said. "Corruption is an evil greater than sin. More than forgiveness, this evil needs to be cured."

This is the context of the Pope's statement regarding corruption.

(it's useful to read the links provided).

m.PR

Here's the (original?) Italian:

. . .La corruzione si esprime in un'atmosfera di trionfalismo perché il corrotto si crede un vincitore. In quell'ambiente si pavoneggia per sminuire gli altri. Il corrotto non conosce la fraternità o l'amicizia, ma la complicità e l'inimicizia. Il corrotto non percepisce la sua corruzione. Accade un po' quello che succede con l'alito cattivo: difficilmente chi lo ha se ne accorge; sono gli altri ad accorgersene e glielo devono dire. Per tale motivo difficilmente il corrotto potrà uscire dal suo stato per interno rimorso della coscienza.

La corruzione è un male più grande del peccato. Più che perdonato, questo male deve essere curato. La corruzione è diventata naturale, al punto da arrivare a costituire uno stato personale e sociale legato al costume, una pratica abituale nelle transazioni commerciali e finanziarie, negli appalti pubblici, in ogni negoziazione che coinvolga agenti dello Stato. È la vittoria delle apparenze sulla realtà e della sfacciataggine impudica sulla discrezione onorevole. . .

http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/it/speeches/2014/october/documents/papa-francesco_20141023_associazione-internazionale-diritto-penale.html

GloriaPatri

Maybe he means that because corruption is a sin one doesn't realize one's committing that it's more insidious (and thus worse) than other sins which you know you are committing? Kindof like a sin one commits so many times that one no longer realizes that they are sinning by doing it?

m.PR

Quote from: GloriaPatri on October 24, 2014, 07:20:13 PM
Maybe he means that because corruption is a sin one doesn't realize one's committing that it's more insidious (and thus worse) than other sins which you know you are committing? Kindof like a sin one commits so many times that one no longer realizes that they are sinning by doing it?

If that was what he meant, then he would have said quite simply "corruption is a particularly bad kind of sin" and not "corruption is an evil greater than sin". Yes, Pope Francis sometimes words things in a confusing way - but I don't think he's an imbecile.

Importantly, he follows that with "more than forgiveness, this evil needs to be cured" - with the implication that corruption is a habit that needs to be cured, but sin "only" needs to be forgiven!

That he makes a distinction between corruption and sin is baffling, but there it is, it is quite plain in what he said.

GloriaPatri

I don't think that the implication is that sin needs "only" be forgiven and not cured, unlike corruption. At least, that's not what I got out of it. Rather, corruption cannot be merely forgiven because it's not a sin one is even aware of committing and thus needs to be cured, i.e. removed like a tumor. Other sins, those that one is knowledgeable of committing, can be cured by the forgiveness in the confessional because one enters with the intent of no longer committing those sins. But if one is not knowledgable of their own corruption, then they cannot enter the confessional with the desire to live a life free of corruption. Idk, that's what I got out of it. But then again, I try to interpret what I read in accordance with the orthodox theology I already know.

m.PR

Quote from: GloriaPatri on October 24, 2014, 07:45:01 PM
I don't think that the implication is that sin needs "only" be forgiven and not cured, unlike corruption. At least, that's not what I got out of it. Rather, corruption cannot be merely forgiven because it's not a sin one is even aware of committing and thus needs to be cured, i.e. removed like a tumor. Other sins, those that one is knowledgeable of committing, can be cured by the forgiveness in the confessional because one enters with the intent of no longer committing those sins. But if one is not knowledgable of their own corruption, then they cannot enter the confessional with the desire to live a life free of corruption. Idk, that's what I got out of it. But then again, I try to interpret what I read in accordance with the orthodox theology I already know.

I'm afraid the only options are, (a) the pope does not know how to express himself, or (b) the pope speaks and believes absolute nonsense. You are right that (a) is the more charitable.

Quo Warranto

Corruption is not a sin. Corruption is the effect of sin. This is a 'what came first the chicken or the egg' argument...Corruption is what happens to you IF you sin. A sin has to happen first.
Message me if you are interested in on-line side walk counseling. Save babies from the comfort of your own home!
http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=6160.0

GloriaPatri

Quote from: Quo Warranto on October 26, 2014, 06:48:02 AM
Corruption is not a sin. Corruption is the effect of sin. This is a 'what came first the chicken or the egg' argument...Corruption is what happens to you IF you sin. A sin has to happen first.

I think he meant corruption in the specific sense of political corruption and things like it. Not the general corruption that all sin entails.